Letter From Juan

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
disbelief

Letter From Juan

Postby disbelief » May 29th, 2023, 8:54 am

Hi,
Would someone be kind enough to give a detailed description of the 5 effects found in volume 2 and the 4 effects found in volume 3? I would like to know what each effect is before purchasing.
Thanks everyone!
Mike

kkelly

Re: Letter From Juan

Postby kkelly » May 29th, 2023, 10:42 am

penguin's website lists the table of contents for each.

disbelief

Postby disbelief » May 29th, 2023, 10:50 am

They do, but the titles of the effects mean nothing to me. It would be nice to know what the effects actually are. Eg, what is decrypting? A suit to order? A one armed tribute etc

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 29th, 2023, 11:49 am

Just buy them.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » May 29th, 2023, 12:48 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Just buy them.

My thoughts exactly.

Over the years, like most, I've bought stuff on-spec, some winners, some less than thrilling. To me it's always been the name of the game.

With Tamariz, the odds tend to favour the buyer! :)

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » May 29th, 2023, 3:12 pm

I'm waiting vol. 3 - on the slow boat from the US... :) - but vol. 2 has:
- Decrypting: quite an intellectual effect, where letters freely associated to the numbers from 1 to 10 and eight chosen cards will spell out a spectator's name and her date of birth. This is a performance piece, for formal shows or for an attentive audience, which requires some time to perform and that needs concentration from the audience.
- Suicide Poker: from a freely shuffled deck, you deal a number of hands asked for and deal yourself the winning hand. The presentation involves the spectator call out a value (from 5 to 10) and give her the four cards of this value, allowing the magician the time necessary to do the "dirty work". While the concept is interesting, I did not particularly like it, as it would not suit me.
- A Suit to Order: A brilliant opener, where seven spectators (! you really need a large group) select cards from a deck and these are all the cards from the same suit, in order. I found this a brilliant routine, and very easy (not self-working, though).
- Progressive color change: this trick comes with two special cards. Essentially, a (wrong) card turns into the selected one, a bit a time, like a special effect. The method, relying on classical techniques, is very clever. Tamariz has a great intuition in the handling of palms that should confuse the cognosenti... Not simple.
Impromptu Double Flying: a great improvement of "Flying Through Thin Air" which you can find in Mnemonica. A spectator names a value, the four cards of that value are removed, re-inserted in the deck, then the deck is dealt out: the cards have vanished. On spreading the deck again, the cards re-appear. The effect is immediately repeated, without touching the deck, with another value. The techniques (Jennings) are classical and Tamariz's presentation is definitely his own, which may not suit many other performers, but the method and the effect is sound. A potential classic.

I enjoyed both volumes so far, and I'm sure I'll love the third one.
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 31st, 2023, 6:58 am

Does anyone know what became of Sr. Tamariz' proposed book, "Flamenco", that was announced in a Genii interview years ago?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 31st, 2023, 11:09 am

Stephen Minch is working to bring "Flamenco" to the finishing line.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 31st, 2023, 1:39 pm

Thanks, RK--wonderful news!!!

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » June 1st, 2023, 10:32 am

That's good to hear - thanks Richard!
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Return to “Buzz”