Impossible Kirigami Cards

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Impossible Kirigami Cards

Postby Tom Frame » May 28th, 2023, 6:33 pm

Folks,

My artistic ability is limited to the production of Stickmen and I have very poor spatial relations. But I have an insatiable sweet tooth for delicious eye candy. My passion for beautiful things is only exceeded by my love for beautiful, impossible things.

Despite my passion being inversely proportional to my artistic chops, I’m currently consumed with compulsively creating impossible kirigami cards.

In this post I want to celebrate these impossible pieces of tiny art, honor one gifted artist, share some of my original creations and encourage others to try creating these baffling beauties.

An impossible kirigami card is created by cutting, twisting and folding a playing card. Two secret folding techniques and several linking and weaving procedures are employed. While some parts of the card may be permanently removed, pieces cannot be detached and reattached using adhesive. In some cases, hidden cutting may be employed. The folded card can be unfolded back to its original, flat state.

I don’t know who first described the construction of these cards. The earliest reference I found was The Next Book of Omni Games, by Scot Morris, published in 1988. There must be earlier citations.

Ian Rowland was the early, primary creator and popularizer of these cards. He previously called them “Wow” cards or "Reflexions." He now humbly calls them "Ian Cards."

Other major players in this tiny cabal of card-cutting artists include Angus Lavery, Allen Rolfs and Ralf Rudolph. Magician Harapan Ong created two lovely cards.

But the current king of confounding kirigami cards is a gifted artist named Scott Dyer. Stop reading and check out his website to learn more about Mr. Dyer and his amazing creations.

https://www.cardstories.co/

When I stumbled upon his site, I dove into the rabbit hole through which I’m currently descending.

I contacted Mr. Dyer, groveled at his feet and offered to buy a few templates from him. He sent a dozen for free. What a guy!

He intentionally omitted directions. He assured me that the methodological challenge is part of the fun and I will be thrilled when the design comes together.

So, I attached the template to a card and cut the pattern into the card. Then, I studied the photo of the completed card and figured out how to fold and manipulate it to create the design.

Scott was right. It is a detailed, maddening, blissful experience to create one of these gems.

Scott is my hero and I thank him for his inspiration and support.

The next step in my card-crafting development involved creating a card by intently studying a photo of the completed card, with no template. By following the contours of the design and the negative space, I eventually developed the ability to determine the template. Then there’s the ongoing challenge of figuring out how to construct the design.

I successfully replicated over two dozen cards depicted on Scott’s site. I learned much and my cutting technique is improving.

Scott uses design software and a laser cutter to manifest his imagination. The tools of my trade are a pencil, eraser, scalpel, the Gyro-Cut tool, blue painter’s tape, a ruler, a cutting board, sandpaper and an illuminated, magnifying headset.

The biggest challenge is creating an original, attractive design. Then you have to decide if a spot card or a court card is the best canvas upon which to create the design. The possibilities are daunting.

When it comes to producing art, I’m a tyro and a hack. But I’ve somehow managed to craft several cards that are puzzling and hopefully pleasing to the eye. None of these cards employ secret cuts and they are examinable.

If you’d like to see more of my humble offerings, let me know. If I come up with other cards worth sharing, I’ll post them here. I welcome all questions and comments.

Trust me, if I can create these cards, you can too. If you create a card, please post it here.

“Beshroomed” is my first creation. It’s primitive, just like a mushroom. The center heart is intentionally upside down. If you cover the upper portion of the card, the remaining image looks like a creepy, smiling face. If you’re on mushrooms.

For the Ace of Diamonds, I wanted a simple, striking image that incorporated the card.

The Ace of Clubs is my first attempt at designing an image with penetrative elements. The template for these types of designs looks nothing like the completed image. Consequently, the design process was a teeth-gnashing nightmare and I left a lengthy trail of brutalized cards in my wake.

I wanted to highlight the spear in the Jack of Clubs while creating a colorful, visually complex card. “Hijacker” is the result.

Thanks for viewing.

Eric Chico

Re: Impossible Kirigami Cards

Postby Eric Chico » May 28th, 2023, 8:50 pm

Wow!

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » May 30th, 2023, 9:20 am

I incorporated another fold into the design and "Hijacked Again" is the result.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » May 30th, 2023, 11:41 am

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
I especially like your “High” Jacks.
Thanks for sharing your work Tom.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » May 30th, 2023, 1:55 pm

I love these

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » May 30th, 2023, 6:08 pm

Thanks, guys.

Edward, I love the book cover!

The folding involved in creating some of these cards leaves portions of the completed card creased. Those creases can assist the viewer in unraveling the mystery.

Additionally, the completed card knows that it wasn't born this way. It's been traumatized and feels hurt and angry about its new appearance. It struggles to unfold itself and relieve the stresses caused by the design. Over time, the design can become distorted.

To prevent these problems, after you create the card, press everything together nice and snug. Then insert it into the bottom pages of a heavy book and let it sit for 48 hours. Afterward, store it in a semi-rigid or rigid sleeve, or frame it.

Even better, buy a Wood River Digital LCD Display Veneer Edge Banding Iron. Sandwich the card between two pieces of release paper or parchment paper. Fire up the banding iron and iron the face of the card, applying firm downward pressure. Flip the card and iron its back. Insert the still hot card into the bottom pages of a heavy book and let it sit for one hour.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 30th, 2023, 6:09 pm

I remember sitting with Ian Rowland at Blackpool at some inordinately unsuitable hour of the night, and asking him to show my the cards. He dutifully took a wodge of cards from his wallet, and it was lovely.

At one point a couple of years later he challenged me to replicate one of them, and was perhaps surprised that I did it.

Over the last few years I've collected all of Ralf Rudolph's folding videos, but haven't really had the time to work through them. One day :)

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » June 1st, 2023, 9:12 am

The Freudian frolic, "T-Bone."

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » June 2nd, 2023, 6:24 pm

Well, it took all day, but I finally managed to add a gallery of my cards to my website. All forthcoming cards will be posted there. Click the More button, then Impossible Kirigami Cards in the drop-down menu.

Thanks.

Return to “Buzz”