AMaLP - Asymmetric Matrix Location Principle

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
JHostler

AMaLP - Asymmetric Matrix Location Principle

Postby JHostler » May 28th, 2023, 5:09 pm

Seeking intrepid fans of mathemagic to "peer review" the generalization of a principle that may contain a hint of something new. If interested, ding me at hostlerj [at] gmail [dott] com...
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

JHostler

Re: AMaLP - Asymmetric Matrix Location Principle

Postby JHostler » June 1st, 2023, 7:00 am

Thanks to Jim Short, Dave Le Fevre, Tomas Blomberg, and others for wading through the text. This does appear to be something new - at least as it pertains to magic. I've heard math itself is quite old.

What this involves (for anyone curious) is the ability to calculate the location of a mentally selected card. The principle's inaugural application smacks of the matrix-style Princess strategy, where fans/packets of cards are shown, assembled, and re-dealt to redistribute selections into multiple packets... but with no re-dealing. Packets are simply shown, reassembled and shown again with no intermediate shuffling or dealing. (The re-show must, of course, be properly motivated.) Also, the performer never learns which packet(s) the selection lies in... though he/she must know a little something else.

I suspect much more can be done with it, but that's where the toddler stands.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Re: AMaLP - Asymmetric Matrix Location Principle

Postby Dave Le Fevre » June 2nd, 2023, 8:30 am

I should point out that my sole contribution was to misunderstand the effect. Honestly, that's all that I achieved. :roll:

Return to “Buzz”