Blackpool 2023

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
AJM

Blackpool 2023

Postby AJM » February 7th, 2023, 11:59 am

I see the Schedule of Events has been released for this year’s Convention.

https://blackpoolmagicconvention.com/schedule/

I had toyed with the idea of going down for the day but don’t think I’ll bother.

Putting out the programme around two weeks ahead of the Convention doesn’t particularly help either.

Anyone planning on attending?

Will the Chief Genii be there?

Andrew

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Blackpool 2023

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 7th, 2023, 1:58 pm

There's some questionable stuff on that schedule!
No, not going. There is just no convenient way to get to Blackpool. The older I get, the less energy I have for things like this. It takes, in total, about 14 hours from the east coast of the US.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » February 7th, 2023, 3:25 pm

I used to live in Blackpool. It was always jam packed with people in the Summer. Very few foreign tourists though. And even fewer Americans. In fact I hardly remember any. I suspect the difficulty of travelling there may have had something to do with it.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 7th, 2023, 4:45 pm

I'm heading down for two days. There are a few people I want to see, and many more to catch up.

Mark seems to have forgotten that Blackpool convention is not exactly in the height of summer...

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » February 7th, 2023, 5:39 pm

I am well aware that the Blackpool convention is held in February. The town is desolate in the Winter and the locals are quite pleased to see the back of all the horrible holidaymakers. The only time there is some activity in the Winter is when the magicians arrive. I did see a video of the last convention and was somewhat horrified to see how lower class the conventioneers were. Not the sort of people that one would invite to the best country homes with their dreadful accents and tattoos all down their arms.

Arcato

Postby Arcato » February 8th, 2023, 3:54 am

I will be going to Blackpool again this year. In particular I'm looking forward to see Mario the Maker Magician for the very first time... and many more including Xavier Mortimer... great line-up this year

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » February 9th, 2023, 10:08 am

I adore Blackpool and I'd go there at any time. 'She who must be obeyed' was suggesting just a few days ago about a quick weekend break there in March. Primarily, this is because we enjoy long coastal walks; but now living slap bang in the middle of England - well sadly, there's not much chance of these too often.

As for the Blackpool Convention. Being surrounded by other Magicians for days (and nights!), must actually rate at the top of my Thanks......but no thanks List. I truly cannot think of many things in life that I'd dislike more. :|

As an aside, I follow two YouTube Channels, created by people who live in Blackpool. They cover walks, local history, town updates, etc. One of these guys last February; incidentally a Non-magician; just casually walked into the Winter Gardens on a Saturday, completely unchecked, before filming for 20 minutes around the dealer stands. It looked relatively brisk with punters - ironically though, most 'dealers' appeared to be just sat down on chairs behind their tables. WOW - such great salesmen!

Finally, even if I was interested in attending magic conventions, I personally would not support this event - not after the disgusting manner in which the Blackpool Magicians Club have treated once of the nicest guys in Magic - Harry Robson.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 9th, 2023, 10:21 am

I've not been to Blackpool, but in looking at the schedule, it seems like there are a lot of overlapping events with few repeats.
Does that work very well? Do people just leave lectures early and/or arrive in the middle of other lectures?
It sounds like it could potentially be pretty distracting for the performers/lecturers and their audiences.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » February 9th, 2023, 11:02 am

I looked at the schedule. I seem to remember they had much stronger names in years past. Anyway I am intrigued by the reference by Barry of Harry Robson. The name rings a bell to me but I can't quite place it. What on earth did they do to the poor chap?

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » February 9th, 2023, 1:43 pm

Back in the day I knew Harry to say hello to, but I didn't know he had any particular connection with the Blackpool people. Whatever it was, it passed me by, but that's no surprise.

I haven't been to the convention in a while, but it was always a buzzing day and i enjoyed it. I think it lost something as it got longer and longer and stretched over three, then four days.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » February 9th, 2023, 2:23 pm

I suspect that is correct. I remember how busy it was in the ONE DAY event times. I was never present at the three or four days. I imagine that would be too much.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » February 9th, 2023, 2:53 pm

I'll be there. It's my first Blackpool. Agreed the line up isn't all that great but I wanted to go to see it and meet up with some overseas folks. I'll also be looking for new and interesting tricks for my Genii review column.

Look forward to seeing folks there!

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » February 9th, 2023, 8:04 pm

Tarotist wrote:I looked at the schedule. I seem to remember they had much stronger names in years past. Anyway I am intrigued by the reference by Barry of Harry Robson. The name rings a bell to me but I can't quite place it. What on earth did they do to the poor chap?

The opening gambit to this interview will give you an idea mate - and there's probably further stuff on the Internet covering this issue in greater depth:

https://youtu.be/ztgRmuV4uuU

Hand on heart Mark, Harry Robson is one of the nicest, most genuine guys that I have ever met within Magic. His 'Instant Reset' principle (item to sealed envelope, inside wallet) has been so well received over the past 15 years, simply because it is just that - an 'Instant Reset' of a new sealed envelope within the wallet, that literally takes 2 seconds.

This is just yet another example that cements my personal choice, of keeping as far away as possible, from both magic clubs and other magicians, over the past 40+ years.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » February 9th, 2023, 9:46 pm

I just watched the relevant bit. I have always thought politics was a dirty business and that applies just as much to unimportant magic clubs as it does to the government of countries.

My favourite political story of the Blackpool Magic Club features a great stage hypnotist by the name of Lorde Payne. He was a wonderful performer who had fallen foul of the Blackpool Magicians Club for some reason or other I know not what. They really detested him. Anyway one day a prominent women's club in Blackpool made an arrangement with the club to put on a magic show for them. After the arrangements were made they demanded to have Lorde Payne who they had heard of be part of the show. A wise decision because the rest of the performers were of course magic club standard (in other words bloody awful). However, the BMC (I am not sure if the abbreviation stands for Blackpool Magicians Club or Bad Magicians Club) informed the ladies club that Lorde Payne was not a member of the club and under no circumstances could he perform. The ladies then gave an ultimatum that if there was no Lorde Payne then there would be no show!
Alas after that the club had to eat humble pie and after gritting their teeth Lorde Payne was invited to perform and he created a sensation! He closed the show doing about an hour or so while the members of the club only did a limited amount of time. I don't think the club ever forgave him for that!

Another story is that they saw Lorde Payne wandering around the convention and of course he had been banned from being there. When they tried to kick him out he responded that he was in charge not them and he had the authority to kick THEM out since what they didn't know was that he was hired by the Pleasure Beach where the convention was held as head security officer!

He really was a terrific stage hypnotist and in fact he was the first one I ever saw work and my jaw dropped at the things he did.

Richard Stokes

Postby Richard Stokes » March 18th, 2023, 8:07 am

"I did see a video of the last convention and was somewhat horrified to see how lower class the conventioneers were. Not the sort of people that one would invite to the best country homes with their dreadful accents and tattoos all down their arms."
Taroist , Lord Snooty, are you from the United Kingdom? Perhaps you are confusing a northern accent with a working class accent?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 18th, 2023, 10:50 am

Yes, he's from the UK. Mark Lewis.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » March 18th, 2023, 12:57 pm

I do hail indeed from His Majesty's Realm of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland even though I am now presently resident in His Majesty's Great Fridge of Canada. I am well acquainted with Blackpool and the ghastly Coronation Street accents in that part of the world. They are indeed accents of the working classes which at times require the services of an interpreter.

However, I was referring to some video or other where I witnessed the quality of the conventioneers. Even the sober ones looked as if they had just come out of jail and made me shudder.

Having said all this I really loved Blackpool more than any other place I ever lived.

Return to “Buzz”