RIP Scott Alexander

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: RIP Scott Alexander

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 6th, 2023, 12:05 pm

That's terrible news!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » February 6th, 2023, 2:20 pm

Damn, strokes are insidious :( Just curious, was he known to have any predictive health problems?

I only ask because two males in my family tree died of strokes so it hits close to home.

slamerson62
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

RIP Scott Alexander

Postby slamerson62 » February 6th, 2023, 3:04 pm

I just heard that Scott passed away on a cruise ship as a result of a stroke or heart incident. To say that I am shocked and saddened is a great understatement.

SamLam

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 6th, 2023, 4:25 pm

I just received an email from Bob Kohler confirming this. I'm in shock. Way too young. Way too soon.

In all my dealings with Mr. Alexaner, he was a really nice guy, who truly wanted you to be a great magician even as he was helping you. I had the privilege of watching him aboard the Disney Wonder--he was like a duck in water as he had those sometimes-difficult audiences in stitches. More than that, he fooled them (and me) really, really badly (especially with his famous, "The Blades").

As perhaps the chief disciple of Denny Haney, Scott played an invaluable role in immortalizing Denny in print ("Denny Haney Collected Wisdom", an immensely valuable book containing real-world insights from one of the greats.) He also just published a dynamite collection of his own material ("52"). Finally, he, along with Bob Kohler, pushed the envelope of the practice of releasing high-end, complete professional routines to magicians everywhere. One can certainly debate a few of the potential pros/cons of that approach, but every one of the routines I purchased from him were (and are) practical, enormously well taught, adaptable to my personality, and have proven to be winners for me.

I hate the fact he's leaving behind a wife and three kids--I'd like to respectfully suggest that maybe we could please consider what we can do to support them.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 6th, 2023, 4:38 pm

I'll try to address the underlying basis of Robert77's question: Yes, it is generally true that if one has a first degree blood relative that has had a stroke, then you are at higher risk, especially if your relative's stroke(s) occurred at an early age. In addition, there are some hereditary diseases that can predispose one to stroke (e.g., sickle cell disease, antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, other vascular malformations, etc.).

However, the big players that increase risk for stroke and cardiovascular disease remain hypertension, diabetes, smoking, high cholesterol, obesity, obstructive sleep apnea, etc. (which also likely have some degree of heredity component to them as well).

Caveat: I am not familiar with Mr. Alexander's medical history nor condition, so the above should in no way be taken to refer in any way to his specific case. In addition, the above should not be taken as medical advice pertaining to anyone's specific medical condition or risk in particular. I've taken care of lots of strokes (unfortunately). Therefore, my honest advice is for any reader to see your doctor to get your routine health maintenance done on a regular basis. That way, your primary care physician can advise on risk modification appropriate to your individual situation.

Brian Morton

RIP Scott Alexander

Postby Brian Morton » February 6th, 2023, 5:32 pm

According to a Facebook post by his wife Jenny, Scott Alexander (Grocki) passed away due to a stroke while he was performing on a cruise ship that stopped in St. Kitt's.

"Scott suffered a stroke while working on a cruise ship in St Kitts and did not make it home to us. We are shattered.
*If you have an order pending on Scott's website please be patient with us as we sort things out. Someone will be in touch with you as soon as we are able."

Scott performed on cruise ships, at the Magic Castle (with his partner Malcolm "Puck" Puckering) and once was a headliner at the Caesar's Magical Empire. A former assistant to the late Denny Haney (along with Puck and Alain Nu), Scott served as the amanuensis for Haney and was the author of "Denny Haney—Collected Wisdom" as well as "52" and the forthcoming book "Marvelous."

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » February 6th, 2023, 8:55 pm

I was fortunate to work with Scott (and Denny and Puck) many times. I had known Denny many years before I met Scott and we started working on things. I built several custom items for him, including his Barrel Botania and the flowers for this cruise ship "Elements" production. Scott was a hard worker. He took the things Denny had taught him and expanded and added his own twists to things.
We shared a lot of laughs backstage, onstage and off. He will be missed.
My prayers and thoughts are with Jenny, his family, and his dear friend, Puck.
As for the health matters, I don't know of his history. I know when my father was diagnosed with an aneurysm which had also killed my grandfather, I went and had scan to check myself out. I was fine. But I know we all think we are invincible when we are young but it does pay to keep at least an annual checkup to be safe.
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 10th, 2023, 11:17 pm

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up to help Scott's family:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/scott-and-je ... c1ebe15914

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 21st, 2023, 11:16 am

I hope folks don't mind, but I wanted to do a one-time bump of this topic to highlight the GoFundMe for Scott's family. Just got an email from his wife, Jenny--she's doing the best she can to fill/refund outstanding orders. Although she didn't herself solicit any help/funds, I'm sure she and the kids would appreciate our support please. https://gofund.me/19b38cd1

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 21st, 2023, 9:24 pm

Bump as often as needed.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 22nd, 2023, 9:49 pm

Aaron Fisher and Conjuring Community has a special project to help Scott's Family:

https://conjuror.thrivecart.com/scott-a ... undraiser/

(If you've never seen Scott perform, some great clips on that site)

Return to “Buzz”