Joe Stevens has Died

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Joe Stevens has Died

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 29th, 2023, 5:34 pm

Magic dealer Joe Stevens has died at age 86. Just heard.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mrmagicproductions
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield & Fred Kaps

Re: Joe Stevens has Died

Postby Mrmagicproductions » January 29th, 2023, 8:01 pm

A wonderful man that contributed so much to our wonderful art and touched so many lives. He will be a missed
Jonathan May - www.jmaymagic.com

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 30th, 2023, 12:16 am

An amazing contribution to magic … the Steven’s catalogs and video library were legendary … as were the Desert Magic Seminars!

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 30th, 2023, 9:07 am

Saddened to hear this. Sincere condolences to Joe's loved ones. While I regrettably never had the privilege of meeting Joe in person, I did speak to him on the phone a couple times in the early 90's. Such a nice, warm, friendly guy. The first magic instructional video I ever acquired was the Stevens Magic Restaurant Magic video (on VHS). It is one of the most helpful and influential magic videos I've ever owned, featuring Bill Malone, Michael Close, Dan Fleshman, and Jim Sisti. They each performed several of their pet tricks in a restaurant setting and then taught the tricks, several of which I still perform today. They also offered many useful tips for getting and succeeding at a restaurant job.

Here is a link to Scott Wells' interview with Joe on Scott's podcast, which I found very enjoyable and informative. This was a couple years ago when Joe was 86. It is filled with wonderful stories and offers a wonderful profile of a man who will be greatly missed, but whose enduring love and passion for magic cannot be missed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNkEimwcdf0

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 30th, 2023, 12:28 pm

I was told he was 86 when he died.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 30th, 2023, 12:54 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I was told he was 86 when he died.

I may have incorrectly indicated in my post that he was 86 at the time of the Scott Wells podcast I linked. Assuming what Richard was told is correct, then Joe would probably have been 84 or thereabouts at the time of the podcast, since the podcast appears to have been posted approximately two years ago.

Mrmagicproductions
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield & Fred Kaps

Postby Mrmagicproductions » January 30th, 2023, 6:59 pm

Jonathan May - www.jmaymagic.com

Curtis The Mentalist
Favorite Magician: What is this, third grade?

Postby Curtis The Mentalist » January 30th, 2023, 10:49 pm

Joe will definitely be missed by many. I live nearby and not only will miss him at his shop, but at the local YMCA where I would frequently see him and many of his closest friends and colleagues playing wicked games of handball! His life, work, and business was a blessing to so many of us. Thank you, Joe (and Martha) for all that you gave to the magic community. You have touched so many of our lives!
Curtis Waltermire
Mentalist/Speaker/Actor/Army Veteran/Grandpa/Cool Dad & Above-Average Husband
https://CurtisTheMentalist.com
https://MastermindShowComedy.com

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 31st, 2023, 9:08 am

So sorry to hear this. I traded with Mr. Stevens for years and I really liked him. He was always unfailingly pleasant (and honest) in our dealings. Such a pioneer in so many ways (great instructional videos, on-line forum, the Desert seminars, making international goods more accessible in the States, etc.). I also used to love getting those classy photo-illustrated glossy catalogs, which actually showed what you'd be getting for your money.

My favorite fact about Mr. Stevens: He was an all-time great basketball player for the Wichita State Shockers and is in their Hall of Fame: https://goshockers.com/news/2014/1/16/209374981.aspx (He was very modest about this when you discussed it with him).

RIP, Sir. We miss you already!

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 31st, 2023, 10:41 am

I forgot all about the GeMiNi BBS ... he really was a trailblazer in so many respects.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » January 31st, 2023, 10:42 pm

From Joe Stevens
Previously Written in Reserve ...

In my life, I have attempted to engage adversity - this is an exercise in that discipline. I asked my son to post it at the appropriate time.

For my friends in the world of magic – I thank you for making my life truly magical. While my preference was "person-to-person" engagement, I relished the communications over the phone and digitally.

As the web matured, I missed traversing the globe looking for unique suppliers of apparatus. Looking back in time this included many visits searching for products in Europe visiting with dear friends Georges Proust and Christian Fechner (Paris), with Harold Voit (Germany) Domenico Dante (Italy), Japan with Ton Onosaka and Yuji Yamamoto (Japan), I can’t leave out dear friends and US suppliers Mark Burger (Buma Jr) and George Robinson of Viking Magic. For those omitted it is only for brevity sake, I ask your forgiveness.

Equally, I relished meeting our many clients worldwide at trade shows here and abroad, and playing host at the 30-plus years of Desert Magic Seminars with my wife Martha. I can't begin to name names the letter would never end.

Regardless of where I traveled my fondest memories was being assured -- time again -- the art of magic is a fundamental phenomenon. It permeates all things – geography, ethnicity, communication, religion, social class, education etc.. I am a witness to the fact that it is more than just entertainment, it’s more than art – its emotional communication.

I was at the shop every day until I absolutely wasn’t physically capable despite great physical challenges it was what kept me moving. While Mark has been running things along with our incredible staff for a long time it was Stevens Magic that kept me alive much longer. My departing wish is two-fold, first that you will continue to be a part of our Stevens Magic family and finally I wish you the happiness that I have had with all my heart.

- Joe Stevens

Return to “Buzz”