Daily Mail video

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Daily Mail video

Postby Tarotist » November 18th, 2022, 9:24 pm

I just found this. I had no idea there was such a thing as a Daily Mail video. I have no idea who the narrator is but I do know who the magician is.
https://fb.watch/gTYRxtYxcQ/

Tom Sawyer

Re: Daily Mail video

Postby Tom Sawyer » November 19th, 2022, 6:32 am

Haha, very nice, Mark.

Cool that the card was a Joker.

This reminds me of a somewhat similar (yet also very different) trick in the enlarged version of Professor Hoffmann's Later Magic, with the heading "To Discover and Pocket (Before Asking Any Questions) the Card Thought of By a Spectator." I'm not sure whether anyone is performing that one these days. (It starts on page 573.)

Hoffmann says of that trick, "The effect of the trick, in good hands, must be seen to be believed. It has all the appearance of a genuine experiment in thought-reading, and even an expert, seeing it for the first time, is likely to be as much puzzled by it as the merest outsider."

For you, I am sure it would be a breeze.

For those who might wish to look it up and don't have the book, you can probably find a digital version of the book on Google Books.

Link: https://www.google.com/books/edition/La ... ons&gbpv=1

But maybe I am "taking coals to Newcastle," and maybe everyone already knows or performs that or some improved version!

—Tom

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 19th, 2022, 10:54 am

The Joker was an accident. However, it has given me the idea that in future it might be a good idea in some other trick to do the "influence" gag and then classic force a Joker and then say, "Well, I did say I was only joking". It would have to be done carefully as there is danger of exposing the principle of the force when you do and say things like that. Oddly enough in the comments to the original TicTok video some people actually thought me saying "I was only joking" and the Joker being selected was part of the trick! That has given me the idea that perhaps it should be!

I see that this Daily Mail video has 66,000 views. The original TicTok version got 20 million views. My fame is spreading! I don't really know how it spread to the Daily Mail though! . I am also puzzled that the narrator has an American accent and yet the Daily Mail is a British newspaper!

Roy M. McIlwee
Favorite Magician: Steve Dusheck

Postby Roy M. McIlwee » November 19th, 2022, 8:18 pm

Great trick. Harry Lorayne has it in "The Magic Book" titled "Insert". Page 94. I've been using it for years.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 19th, 2022, 10:37 pm

Yes. It is indeed a great trick. I have seen it in Harry's book but have also seen it a Bruce Elliott book and I think a book by Anneman. Possibly in the Paul Rosini book too since the trick seems to be associated with his name. Mind you, I suspect it may have been invented by Anneman--I have no idea. I know I call it the Rosini trick.

That is the sort of magic I do. It is nothing that will impress magicians but they are not my audience. I expect if you have been doing it for years you know how strong and direct the trick is. Maximum effect with minimum effort. I use it in my trade show work as well as when performing impromptu. I have been doing it for decades.

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » November 20th, 2022, 3:08 am

Tarotist wrote:Yes. It is indeed a great trick. I have seen it in Harry's book but have also seen it a Bruce Elliott book and I think a book by Anneman. Possibly in the Paul Rosini book too since the trick seems to be associated with his name. Mind you, I suspect it may have been invented by Anneman.

Quite correct dear chap.

It's called 'A Card In Hand' by Ted Annemann - pages 98-99 in my 1977 Dover reprint/version of 'Miracles of Card Magic' (1948).

However, the handling is somewhat different to 'Insert' as described by Harry Lorayne though - as Annemann's version does not involve a Double Lift; rather it uses a move to switch the chosen card to second in the pack.

The move itself is being attributed by Annemann to Burling Hull. However, this appears to be the same handling of the Slip Force convincer, claimed by Nate Leipzig?

In any event, no doubt Ed Marlo would have claimed it was his - having created 36 variations of the move, within his notes from 1793.

Superb to see that you've hit The Daily Mail though - Britain's best-selling newspaper these days. That said, it's not exactly my cup of tea. It's often referred to these days as 'The Daily Heil' !

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 20th, 2022, 8:48 am

Ah yes! I think I remember Anneman used the backslip. I actually first came across it in Magic--100 new tricks by Bruce Elliott which was one of his better books. There is a terrific spelling idea I use to this day and included it in my Annotated Royal Road to Card Magic. As for the Daily Mail I used to read it every day when I lived in the UK. And of course I worked the Daily Mail Ideal Homes Exhibition many times.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 20th, 2022, 3:56 pm

Barry is right. Annemann was the inventor and he called it "Card in hand." It appeared in Ted Annemann's Full Deck of Impromptu Card Tricks, published in 1943 (although it may have been published in the Jinx even prior to then). Then it subsequently appeared in Annemann's Miracles of Card Magic, first published in 1948, Max Holden. Two years later, the trick appeared in Paul Rosini's Magical Gems, by Rufus Steele, essentially the same effect, but a different handling, and I believe it's entitled, "You Put It In" in the Rosini book.

Return to “Buzz”