The Hallucinogenic Approach to Close-Up Magic

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Dobrowolski

The Hallucinogenic Approach to Close-Up Magic

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » November 13th, 2022, 7:02 pm

Jamy Ian Swiss had this to say about this essay "One of the better magic essays I have read in quite awhile. Much of the critique points on other commentators is spot on. Choose your mentors carefully."

Read it here: https://ko-fi.com/post/The-Hallucinogen ... -G2G2G94XX

Jack Shalom

Re: The Hallucinogenic Approach to Close-Up Magic

Postby Jack Shalom » November 13th, 2022, 8:34 pm

Tom, I immediately thought of Dani DaOrtiz as an example of hallucinogenic magic as I was reading the essay, and was glad to see Dani's name included there. That classification makes total sense--Dani even reinforces it by repeating, "Welcome to my world!" and "Anything is possible!" all the time. That really helps me better to understand Dani's effect on me. I'm not saying that everyone can pull that off, or that any magician should be doing that, just that it helps me understand why I respond to Dani's magic so much.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » November 14th, 2022, 1:32 pm

Thanks Jack. I agree and had similar thoughts when I first read it. Jeremiah nailed it again in this one. Glad you liked it and got something from it.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » November 14th, 2022, 3:40 pm

I still can't figure out what the Hallucinogenic Approach is. Big fancy words have that effect on me. Is it something like the average cups and balls routine where all sorts of things happen but all they remember is the big loads? Or is it something like Slydini's One Coin routine? Or is it something like a whole blur of magic that nobody really remembers but thinks it is good anyway? Or may God preserve me (and he probably won't) is it something like my svengali deck routine where all sorts of effects happen routined one after the other?

After reading the article I still couldn't figure it out so I couldn't form an opinion. Too much for my aged brain I am afraid.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 14th, 2022, 3:58 pm

I think I'm with Mark on this one though his Svengali pitch just might qualify as a hallucinogenic experience to some laymen.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 14th, 2022, 6:13 pm

I wonder if the Andrus Linking Pins or my Dotty Spots routine would come under this heading? I am still a bit vague about the meaning. It sounds like a series of routined tricks or phases of tricks one after the other with the same prop. Maybe I should exercise myself to check out the Gary Kurtz video in question to see what the hell everyone is talking about.

I actually remember Gary from his days in Toronto. I was always amused that in his early days when he performed a difficult sleight he always beamed with self satisfied pleasure as if he had done a trick instead of a sleight! Of course that was a very long time ago and I am sure he doesn't do that nowadays----or at least I hope not! The other thing that amused me was that although all the magicians were agog at his work he once approached me quietly when there was nobody around to ask for tips on presentation! Mind you, I don't think I gave him any since I was so taken aback by the enquiry!

But here is another little story that amused me. He was doing a close up set in the local magic shop with all sorts of magicians watching with their mouths agape at the intricate sleight of hand. Suddenly I was aware standing at a distance behind me Bruce Posgate and Ross Bertram watching Gary. I overheard Ross saying to Bruce "I can't keep up with all this new sleight of hand stuff nowadays" I remember thinking, "If the great Ross Bertram can't keep up what the hell chance do I have?"

Fortunately I have never regarded sleight of hand merely as a means to an end rather than the end itself. That may be why I never smirk after performing a difficult sleight!

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 14th, 2022, 6:26 pm

Tarotist wrote: Fortunately I have never regarded sleight of hand merely as a means to an end rather than the end itself. That may be why I never smirk after performing a difficult sleight!

I don't want to put word in Mark's mouth -- or take them out, for that matter. But I believe what he intended to say was that he has always regarded sleight of hand as a means to an an end rather than the end itself.

And while I'm prognosticating (in hindsight), even if Mark didn't give Gary any tips on presentation because he (Mark) was taken aback at Gary's request, I would bet 3 to 1 that Mark referred him to the section on Presentation in Expert Card Technique.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 14th, 2022, 6:54 pm

To be honest I can't remember what I said to him. It was a very brief conversation. However, I think if I did say that it was a very good response. I am always amazed nobody ever mentions that section of the book when they discuss presentation. I found it very influential in my work especially the first few pages.

And yes--I did mean "always" rather than "never"!

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » November 14th, 2022, 7:54 pm

I wonder if the Andrus Linking Pins or my Dotty Spots routine would come under this heading? I am still a bit vague about the meaning. It sounds like a series of routined tricks or phases of tricks one after the other with the same prop.

No, no, no. It's not about the trick or routining. It's about the atmosphere that is created by the performer that envelops the spectators and invites them into an altered state.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 14th, 2022, 10:20 pm

An altered state? I do that in my hypnosis show but there are no actual card tricks. If it means an altered state of confusion then I am not sure it is a good idea. If however, it merely means that the performer creates an atmosphere that "envelopes the spectators", well EVERY performer is supposed to do that and I am surprised an article has to be written about it. No. I still don't think I am getting the meaning right. Far too intellectual for me. I shall read the article again although and see if I can figure out what the writer is talking about. Mind you I keep getting a vibe he doesn't perform much. Alas I become very cynical when I see fancy phrases like "Hillucinogenic Approach" instead of "getting the punters going". Still, we shall see.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » November 14th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Every performer creates an atmosphere; only some create a hallucinogenic one. Think Alice in Wonderland.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 14th, 2022, 11:24 pm

I think this thread is like Alice in Wonderland. I still have no idea what a "hallucinogenic" state is. It does sound a bit like putting your audiences to sleep but most magicians do that anyway.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 15th, 2022, 3:20 am

Jack Shalom wrote:Every performer creates an atmosphere; only some create a hallucinogenic one. Think Alice in Wonderland.

I don't know if this qualifies, but I'm reminded of the climax of my show, where suddenly, I turn into a white rabbit wearing spectacles, a top hat, and a waistcoat. I pull out a pocket watch (which I've deftly stolen from an audience member while performing my closer, the multiplying rabbits), and excitedly exclaim: "Oh my fur and whiskers! I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!"

On cue, the hypnotic voice of Grace Slick, of the 1970's band, Jefferson Starship, is then suddenly heard singing, "One pill makes you larger, one pill makes you small, and the ones that mother gives you, don't do anything at all. Go ask Alice, when she's 10 feet tall." At this point, the eyes of the audience get very big and wide and start glazing over. They start shouting things like "Oh wow!" Freaky! Far out man!" Who is that cat, and what was in that Cool Aid we've been sipping on?" Whereupon, I turn around, and with more than mild annoyance, declare, "I'm not a cat! Can't you see I'm a rabbit? Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the show."

As the final topping on the cake, I take off my top hat and pull out a full grown magician. and disappear into thin air.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 15th, 2022, 7:16 am

Alfred, what's the gaff on the last effect?

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » November 15th, 2022, 7:43 am

At the risk of being accused of exposure, i'll tip the method:

Image Image

Hope that helps, Bob.

Taking the red pill doesn't hurt either.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » November 15th, 2022, 9:28 am

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 15th, 2022, 9:46 am

The window pane acid is bad. I repeat: the window pane acid is bad in a bad way.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 15th, 2022, 10:14 am

Bob Farmer wrote:Alfred, what's the gaff on the last effect?

Bob, usually such information comes at a price. However, I will concede that Joe Lyons, with his Buffalo Variation on my handling, and Tom Frame, with his somewhat acidic post, have collectively come very close to revealing my method. I look forward to both of their upcoming tutorials on YouTube. One respect in which the presentation of the Buffalo Variation differs from my own, is that I do not pre-announce what I am about to do (i.e. produce a magician from the hat). I found that the audience's "derisive chuckling" was causing too much of a blow to my (already very low) self-esteem, even though I was able to turn the tables, as it were, and very decisively put an end to their ridicule. Wiping the sarcastic smirks off their faces brought me great satisfaction and joy, but only at the cost of profound and irreparable psychological damage to myself. But I still remain baffled at their skepticism. After all, only moments before, I turned into a damned rabbit.

For those desirous of becoming privy to my precise handling and presentation, be sure to catch, "Timothy Leary and the Magical Marsupial,"which will be featured in my upcoming Penguin lecture...

...at the North Pole.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 15th, 2022, 10:31 am

I guess it's April in some places ;)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » November 15th, 2022, 10:56 am

Joe Lyons wrote:At the risk of being accused of exposure, i'll tip the method:

Image Image

Hope that helps, Bob.

Taking the red pill doesn't hurt either.

Joe - what book is that from?

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » November 15th, 2022, 11:09 am

The Mad Book Of Magic - And Other Dirty Tricks

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » November 15th, 2022, 11:38 am

It's a shame Al exposed the card index on page 176.

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » November 15th, 2022, 11:42 am

Dave Le Fevre wrote:The Mad Book Of Magic - And Other Dirty Tricks

That's correct, by Al Jaffee.

Al retired in 2020 at the age of 99.

He's in Guinness World Records as having the longest career as a comics artist.

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » November 15th, 2022, 12:35 pm

PressureFan wrote:It's a shame Al exposed the card index on page 176.

As well as the one way force deck but I doubt a lot of damage was done.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » November 16th, 2022, 8:27 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:
Jack Shalom wrote:Every performer creates an atmosphere; only some create a hallucinogenic one. Think Alice in Wonderland.

I don't know if this qualifies, but I'm reminded of the climax of my show, where suddenly, I turn into a white rabbit wearing spectacles, a top hat, and a waistcoat. I pull out a pocket watch (which I've deftly stolen from an audience member while performing my closer, the multiplying rabbits), and excitedly exclaim: "Oh my fur and whiskers! I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!"

On cue, the hypnotic voice of Grace Slick, of the 1970's band, Jefferson Starship, is then suddenly heard singing, "One pill makes you larger, one pill makes you small, and the ones that mother gives you, don't do anything at all. Go ask Alice, when she's 10 feet tall." At this point, the eyes of the audience get very big and wide and start glazing over. They start shouting things like "Oh wow!" Freaky! Far out man!" Who is that cat, and what was in that Cool Aid we've been sipping on?" Whereupon, I turn around, and with more than mild annoyance, declare, "I'm not a cat! Can't you see I'm a rabbit? Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the show."

As the final topping on the cake, I take off my top hat and pull out a full grown magician. and disappear into thin air.

Now you're talking. I'd pay to see that. Wouldn't you?

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » November 17th, 2022, 1:20 pm

The Disclaimer Issue 2.8 is available! Our BIGGEST issue yet! The Packet Trick Issue! John Bannon has graciously contributed 2 unpublished wonderful new packet tricks utilising his “new packet trick engine“ which you will use in creating your own magic. It’s ingenious. There are great packet tricks from Curtis Kam, Jeremiah and myself. Both Curtis and mine were designed to be done as stand up pieces. I truly believe people will perform ALL of the tricks in this issue. Members download here: https://ko-fi.com/thedisclaimer/posts

Get this issue and subscriptions available here: https://ko-fi.com/thedisclaimer

Talk about full circle John Bannon was friends with Larry West of Emerson and West many years ago when John lived in Virginia.
There’s a lot of great magic in this issue!

Enjoy and please help spread the word.

Return to “Buzz”