The Rule of 3

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jon Pendragon
Favorite Magician: Jonathan Pendragon

The Rule of 3

Postby Jon Pendragon » November 5th, 2022, 2:06 pm

I am not superstitious, I will even shout "MacBeth" in a crowded theater. The arts often recognize the Rule of Three as a sad reminder of our mortality regardless of the life of our artistic creations. Max, Andre and Earl, this time is seems to have spanned the magic styles: Mentalism, Illusionist and Close-up. All were inventive and created magic that outlives them. All will be missed.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: The Rule of 3

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 6th, 2022, 12:18 pm

You missed Martin Lewis, so that's four.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » November 6th, 2022, 12:29 pm

I am finding the amount of deaths lately very depressing.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 6th, 2022, 7:02 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:You missed Martin Lewis, so that's four.

Well, if we count The Amazing Jonathan, and I certainly believe we should, then we're at the Rule of 5.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 6th, 2022, 8:34 pm

This thread is so depressing. I would far rather talk about this chap who is very much alive............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8evo8CNQo2k

ChrisK
Favorite Magician: Max Maven

Postby ChrisK » November 7th, 2022, 12:08 am

We will always lose people we love. Better reason to appreciate those who are here, even if they aren't our best of friends.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 7th, 2022, 8:05 am

ChrisK wrote:We will always lose people we love. Better reason to appreciate those who are here, even if they aren't our best of friends.

The first sentence is undoubtedly true; the second expresses an important reminder. If I may add a third, which I believe was the sentiment underlying the posting of this topic in the first place: "But never to forget those who are no longer with us and to always cherish their memory."

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 7th, 2022, 10:56 am

I was just counting people since August. But this is all silly nonsense anyway. People die when they die.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 7th, 2022, 11:18 am

Sign beside Jay Marshall's coffin at his funeral read, "Not the first time I died."

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » November 7th, 2022, 1:04 pm

The UK recently lost Henry Lewis, aged 102 and Mark Raffles, aged 100.

While Henry was mostly involved with The Magic Circle, Mark was a full time pro all his life and must have played every variety venue in the UK at one time or another.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 7th, 2022, 1:33 pm

I'm going to risk the opinions of some that I may not be "playing with a full deck," as the saying goes, and ask the question:

How do we know that death really even exists?

"Well, of course it does, we've all seen it happen to people we know, even members of our own families" you might respond. Or you might sanctimoniously declare, "It's an obviously documented fact of medical science, and what's more you can read about it happening to people every day, or see it reported on TV, or on the Internet."

But doesn't that still beg the question of whether it's real, or just something that we perceive -- an illusion?

After all, isn't that what we magicians are all about? Producing illusions. Why, then, couldn't a master magician, or some force(s), far more powerful than ourselves, create a convincing illusion of death for purposes unknown, and as-yet-unrevealed, to us? And what about dreams? Don't they seem real? At the time they are occurring, dreams are, for all practical (or, at least, perceived) purposes, real. While they are happening, we do not differentiate between them and so-called reality. Haven't we laughed, cried, loved, hated, traveled, spoken, heard, experienced the entire panoply of human emotions in dreams? Haven't we "witnessed" terrible thing happen, sometimes waking up in the proverbial cold sweat? Only then to realize that that which seemed very real was...

...just a dream. An illusion.

Is it not possible that our very lives, themselves, may be nothing more than one long dreams filled with "perceptions" and "experiences" that are nothing more than illusions? Possibly for the purpose of learning and growing, or to advance to another level of consciousness, but not to "die," despite the belief that we will.

Here's an excerpt from an article that appeared in Psychology Today in November 2011, written by Robert Lanza, M.D., entitled:
Is Death an Illusion?

"After the death of his old friend, Albert Einstein said 'Now Besso has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us ... know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.' "

"New evidence continues to suggest that Einstein was right, death is an illusion."

"Our classical way of thinking is based on the belief that the world has an objective observer-independent existence. But a long list of experiments shows just the opposite. We think life is just the activity of carbon and an admixture of molecules: we live awhile and then rot into the ground."

"We believe in death because we've been taught we die. Also, of course, because we associate ourselves with our body and we know bodies die. End of story. But biocentrism, a new theory of everything, tells us death may not be the terminal event we think. Amazingly, if you add life and consciousness to the equation, you can explain some of the biggest puzzles of science. For instance, it becomes clear why space and time—and even the properties of matter itself—depend on the observer. It also becomes clear why the laws, forces, and constants of the universe appear to be exquisitely fine-tuned for the existence of life..."

If you're interested in reading more, here's the link:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... -t-the-end

Just some food for thought.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 7th, 2022, 2:13 pm

Douglas Adams had a great line about a pond claiming the world is exactly the right shape to fit. In terms of popular belief, some folks would not be happy to accept their subjective experience of being is merely a shadow of some pack of cards being dealt out during a performance of the twenty-one card trick.

For instance, it becomes clear why space and time—and even the properties of matter itself—depend on the observer.
Oh if only...
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 7th, 2022, 2:13 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:The UK recently lost Henry Lewis, aged 102 and Mark Raffles, aged 100.

While Henry was mostly involved with The Magic Circle, Mark was a full time pro all his life and must have played every variety venue in the UK at one time or another.

I already posted his video a few posts above. Here it is again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8evo8CNQo2k

I have actually read about Henry when he was in the army. The Maurice Fogel book

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » November 7th, 2022, 4:13 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:I'm going to risk the opinions of some that I may not be "playing with a full deck," as the saying goes, and ask the question:

How do we know that death really even exists?

On that particular question, I have my own personal thoughts that I won't bore people with.

However, my Wife is a nurse and has obviously witnessed many deaths during her career.

Now she is neither religious, nor does she believe in any element of psychic mediums, etc. She's even sceptical of my Palm Reading! :o

However, on many, many occasions, she has obviously been present when a person has passed away. She is convinced, after so many instances, that she can actually feel the energy of a spirit leaving a body and moving upwards. Her colleagues will say exactly the same.

Now as I've said, she is a very rational person who doesn't believe many things without hard facts. At the same time, she is absolutely convinced that it is not her mind playing a trick upon her, simply because that is what she assumes/expects is going to occur. She's been in the game too long and experienced too much death to be hoodwinked or act/think irrationally.

Another interesting point. There have been countless occasions when she has been providing someone with end of life care; that just hours before passing; will mention to her that a dead spouse or relative has visited them and told them it was now their time to leave. Again, her colleagues have experienced the same discussions.

When someone is due to pass, she (and obviously her colleagues) notice a number of tell-tale physical signs that their life is coming to an end. If they have no family, she will, even in her own time at the end of her shift, stay on to hold their hand until they pass over - her rationale being that nobody should die alone. On nearly every occasion, she says that irrespective of their previous condition(s) and any pain they've been experiencing, that they will open their eyes, look across to her and give a smile, looking totally at peace.

So there you go; it may just be a body lying there once we've popped our clogs; but clearly something happens when we reach our grand finale.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 7th, 2022, 4:41 pm

I wish we would talk about something else.....................

McKitterick

Postby McKitterick » November 7th, 2022, 7:01 pm

Tarotist wrote:I wish we would talk about something else.....................

Or at least have a time out ... perhaps a brief musical interlude ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la9Iy0RTvCI

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 7th, 2022, 9:40 pm

McKitterick wrote:

Or at least have a time out ... perhaps a brief musical interlude ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la9Iy0RTvCI

You will have to excuse me. I have had just too much death around me recently and am still shaken up over it. Still, if you like that sort of thing here you are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1-I6BYuIjI

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » November 8th, 2022, 2:32 am

BarryAllen

Postby BarryAllen » November 8th, 2022, 5:45 am

Death is just the next step. However, as Magicians, we will all have a place booked in Heaven, as reward for the brilliant entertainment and joy that we have brought to others.

What's more......

- There will be no internet Magic Shops in Heaven - just bricks and mortar ones - all located on Cloud 9.

- Digital media doesn't exist - just books. The aforementioned shops will therefore be stocked with rows of books to choose from.

- An arranged book signing by the true author of Expert At The Card Table causes some disappointment, when Ed Marlo turns up, claiming that everything in it was his anyway.

- Any tricks with Rubik Cubes will have been banished to hell (where they truly belong).

- Sharpie pens (and any tricks using them that involve drawing on card cases) will also be in hell - as they are clearly works of the devil, in order to bring abject despair to mankind.

- Cardistry and any card jugglers that undertake such sinful practices, will have suffered the same fate. They can only return to Heaven, once they've read The Royal Road to Card Magic ( the annotated version ;) )

- Cups & Balls routines will be limited to 3 minutes maximum. There are people in Heaven who have been there for an eternity - yet are still waiting for some Magicians to get around to revealing the final 3 loads.

- Svengali pitches are only allowed at Friday lunch-time, whilst thousands of people are queuing up at the fish & chip shop - "gawd has he only got 2 fish and 5 loaves in the oven again - why do they keep using the same caterers as FISM"? Anyone buying a pack with the force card as the Nine of Hearts, can go to the front of the queue (the angels prepare for a riot).

- God wonders why nobody has arrived for a few days, only to find Alan Alan manning the pearly gates and telling everyone to "go away and look in the window".

- Arguments break out between all of the past presidents of the IBM and Derek Lever, all claiming that they are God.

Can't wait to get there!

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 8th, 2022, 6:57 am

Barry, I'm signing up for whatever religion you're selling.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » November 8th, 2022, 8:12 am

I am ready to become an acolyte as well, although for various reasons, for example:
BarryAllen wrote:
They can only return to Heaven, once they've read The Royal Road to Card Magic ( the annotated version ;) )

I sometimes wonder if Barry isn't another nom de plume for Mark, ready to be used when Tarotist is inevitably booted from the forum again.

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Postby katterfelt0 » November 8th, 2022, 8:26 am

McKitterick wrote:

You picked a wonderful musical interlude.
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Postby katterfelt0 » November 8th, 2022, 8:29 am

Jeff Haas wrote:Oh, lighten up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

Than you for posting this. It started my day with a smile.
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 8th, 2022, 9:24 am

Joe Lyons wrote:I am ready to become an acolyte as well, although for various reasons, for example:
BarryAllen wrote:
They can only return to Heaven, once they've read The Royal Road to Card Magic ( the annotated version ;) )

I sometimes wonder if Barry isn't another nom de plume for Mark, ready to be used when Tarotist is inevitably booted from the forum again.

It would indeed be very useful for me to have a spare me but alas this is not the case here. Barry has always been a fan of my Annotated Royal Road. I am actually thinking of bringing it out in paperback.

BarryAllen

Postby BarryAllen » November 8th, 2022, 9:35 am

Joe Lyons wrote:I am ready to become an acolyte as well, although for various reasons, for example:
BarryAllen wrote:

Only in my wildest dreams Joe could I ever hope to have the talent of Mark Lewis.

Indeed, I don't know why he's ever booted from forums - his posts are always wonderfully entertaining. There are clearly far too many snowflakes around these days.

Plus I went to Canada once - three weeks was more than enough of that place. No way could I ever live there - England's bad enough!

Melted cheese and gravy put on chips - and they consider that a national delicacy........that's just oh so wrong on numerous counts.

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » November 8th, 2022, 10:09 am

BarryAllen wrote:Only in my wildest dreams Joe could I ever hope to have the talent of Mark Lewis.

There you go, sewing suspicion again.

BarryAllen wrote:Melted cheese and gravy put on chips - and they consider that a national delicacy........that's just oh so wrong on numerous counts.

I agree, poutine does not sound good at all.

I suppose I would have to try it though.

New Orleans is our version of Quebec and the best food I've ever had is the worst food I have had in the Big Easy.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » November 8th, 2022, 10:45 am

Magic Castle 8.0
Mickey7
Book by Edward Ashton
Film by Bong Joon-ho

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 8th, 2022, 12:08 pm

BarryAllen wrote:
Plus I went to Canada once - three weeks was more than enough of that place. No way could I ever live there - England's bad enough!

If Barry thinks Canada is bad God alone knows what he thinks America is like, especially at the moment. 20 grand or so to get treated for a slight headache and lots of bullets flying about in a most impolite manner! I will concede the food in Canada is bloody awful. I haven't had a decent meal since I arrived here. I actually miss British food.

Still, there is something reassuringly boring about Canada.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 8th, 2022, 1:21 pm

Canada just got running water, so things are looking up, up here. Planned for next year: paved roads.

BarryAllen

Postby BarryAllen » November 8th, 2022, 1:47 pm

Just to qualify things.

Canadian people are some of the most polite, kind and nicest people that it has ever been my pleasure to meet.

Just to put things into perspective then. It starts with having a proper job for years, as a Travel Agent (holiday salesman).

My trip to Canada (June 2016) was to meet up with our RV supplier (Fraserway) and put together a revised route for our Motorhome Tour across British Columbia and Alberta. I travelled with a colleague who was the photographer for our brochure photographs.

Suffice to say that after ten days of looking at nothing other than mountains and lakes, you get utterly 'mountained and laked out'. Moreover, as the weather was initially a bit naff (with rain and grey clouds) we had to stay a third week to get better photos. There's only so many nights that you want to sleep on a campsite - and I just wanted to get home in the end.

So to reiterate, my views of Canada were probably skewed by the longer than planned stay; and its certainly no insult to the Canadian people - who were very welcoming, not loud, nor brash and happy go lucky.

Would I ever go back for a holiday? Hell yeah! Albeit, I'd love to visit the Nova Scotia/Newfoundland areas rather than the West.

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » November 8th, 2022, 2:14 pm

That's ok Mark, er, um, Barry.

We're accustomed to the negative remarks about entire countries... ;)

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 8th, 2022, 3:37 pm

Oh, in that case let me get some practice in. I haven't been saying anything about entire countries for a while so I am a bit out of practice. Perhaps I should start with parts of a country rather than the entire country. From what I know of Texas where you appear to have come from it does sound rather ghastly with shootings every five minutes and dead bodies lying all over the place. And since the subject of this awful thread is about death nobody can say that I am being off topic.

I will concede that Paul Daniels had a good gag involving Texas. He would shuffle a pack of cards very slowly and say "this is the Texas shuffle. It is called the Texas shuffle because it takes us (Texas) so long to shuffle"

Since Texas Joe still insists that I am Barry I may as well take advantage of this to do a bit of advertising. He (or was it me?) once posted a review of my most worthy Annotated Royal Road to Card Magic. It was quite a long review full of praise which of course I richly deserve. This line of the review sums it all up:

"This is UNRESERVEDLY RECOMMENDED to ANYONE interested in performing solid, entertaining, commercial Card Magic. It has been one of the highlights of my lifetime within Magic, studying this Annotated contribution to our Art"

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 8th, 2022, 3:43 pm

BarryAllen wrote:
Would I ever go back for a holiday? Hell yeah! Albeit, I'd love to visit the Nova Scotia/Newfoundland areas rather than the West.

I have actually done a psychic fair tour in the Maritimes which is the area you refer to. Before I went I was ridiculed by people saying "They have no money there. You will probably get paid in fish!". It turned out to be the exact opposite and I did very well there. Of course Reveen the Hypnotist made most of his money there from what I hear. I was even allowed to operate in malls selling svengali decks without having to pay a thing. One mall manager refused to take any money and told me "When you get back to Toronto you tell the malls there how nice we are"

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » November 8th, 2022, 3:58 pm

Tarotist wrote:Oh, in that case let me get some practice in. I haven't been saying anything about entire countries for a while so I am a bit out of practice. Perhaps I should start with parts of a country rather than the entire country. From what I know of Texas where you appear to have come from it does sound rather ghastly with shootings every five minutes and dead bodies lying all over the place. And since the subject of this awful thread is about death nobody can say that I am being off topic.

I will concede that Paul Daniels had a good gag involving Texas. He would shuffle a pack of cards very slowly and say "this is the Texas shuffle. It is called the Texas shuffle because it takes us (Texas) so long to shuffle"

Since Texas Joe still insists that I am Barry I may as well take advantage of this to do a bit of advertising. He (or was it me?) once posted a review of my most worthy Annotated Royal Road to Card Magic. It was quite a long review full of praise which of course I richly deserve. This line of the review sums it all up:

"This is UNRESERVEDLY RECOMMENDED to ANYONE interested in performing solid, entertaining, commercial Card Magic. It has been one of the highlights of my lifetime within Magic, studying this Annotated contribution to our Art"

Now, Mark, that's not true at all.

We bury the dead.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 8th, 2022, 4:28 pm

I am surprised you have enough space left to bury them.

Return to “Buzz”