RIP Max Maven

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

RIP Max Maven

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 2nd, 2022, 5:27 am

Last night (November 1) at about 9:30pm, our world lost a great mind. Max Maven died comfortably, surrounded by friends and loved ones.
I have nothing to add at this time except to say, shibaraku.

CraigMitchell

Re: RIP Max Maven

Postby CraigMitchell » November 2nd, 2022, 6:56 am

Max was a legend.

I am so happy that he got to receive the love and admiration of the magic world at large at FISM. It was a touching tribute

You will be missed, Max.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » November 2nd, 2022, 7:25 am

When Max/Phil lived in Boston, he got me started with great book and trick recommendations. RIP Max.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 2nd, 2022, 7:41 am

Terrible news. A brilliant man and a good friend.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 2nd, 2022, 8:56 am

Although I knew this was inevitable, it still feels like a sledgehammer to my chest.
He was always so kind to me over the years and I'll miss him a lot.
Thanks for everything, Mr. Maven!

Herman Koster

Postby Herman Koster » November 2nd, 2022, 9:43 am

I'm so glad to have witnessed Max's greatness and friendliness in person.
Rest in peace and strength for all his friends and family

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N975F met Tapatalk

Joji Matsuo

Postby Joji Matsuo » November 2nd, 2022, 9:46 am

Dustin Stinett wrote:Last night (November 1) at about 9:30pm, our world lost a great mind. Max Maven died comfortably, surrounded by friends and loved ones.
I have nothing to add at this time except to say, shibaraku.

Shibraku ("for a while...") is so very very appropriate. And sounds like something he would say upon parting.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 2nd, 2022, 9:51 am

Really sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » November 2nd, 2022, 11:03 am

Very sad news. He was this generations Vernon.

I am so grateful to Richard that I was able to see Max’s show at the Genii convention. For me, this was the highlight of the many Genii Conventions I attended.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 2nd, 2022, 11:52 am

I am broken today.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 2nd, 2022, 12:16 pm

Max Maven-AMA Awards Tribute Video (2022):

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 2nd, 2022, 12:32 pm

Saddened to hear this. He will be very, very missed.

I like to think of him as being reunited with Eugene in that great magical beyond.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 2nd, 2022, 12:39 pm

One of the highlights of my magic career, such as it is, was at the first Genii Bash, 10 years ago. Dustin Stinnett walked up to me and said, "If you've got a few minutes, Max Maven wants to talk to you." Wot the heck? Who am I, that Max Maven would want to speak to me?

It turns out he was interested in knowing more about Prof. Seiden, an early mentor of Max Malini. I had built something of a reputation of being able to find out stuff about old time magicians, and I was able to find out a few things about Seiden and passed them on. That became the beginning of a series of semi-regular emails -- "Bill, any chance you can find out anything about . . . .". The question was always interesting, and I was happy to do the research.

And having done so, whenever we found ourselves at the same magic event, we would find a few minutes to talk and catch up. Occasionally we'd share a meal together. I spent most of an hour talking about professional wrestling with him at Magifest one year, having been a fan in my youth. That I had seen Jerry Lawler, Tojo Yamamoto, the Fabulous Jackie Fargo, Andre the Giant, and others wrestle in person delighted him.

Max was scary smart, unfailingly polite, and always interesting to be around. I'm sorry I'll not be around him any more.

magicam

Postby magicam » November 2nd, 2022, 12:57 pm

As students and lovers of magic history, we'd been acquainted for many years through events such as the LA Conf. on Magic History, but for whatever reason it wasn't until after Max's cancer diagnosis that we communicated more regularly. Among other things, I will miss Max's grace and wit to the end. You've been a source of inspiration to me, Max. Thank you for sharing your friendship and knowledge. Clay

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 2nd, 2022, 1:04 pm

Max had a Bacon Number of two. He was in an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air with Caitlin Wachs, who was in the movie My Dog Skip with Kevin Bacon.

Max had an Erdős number of three. He collaborated with Martin Gardner* several times, who had collaborated with Ron Graham . And Graham had an Erdős number of one.

Max had a Sabbath number of two. In the 1970s, he played music professionally at bars in the Boston area, and one night Joey Kramer sat in on drums. Kramer was a member of Aerosmith, who opened for Sabbath in 1975 in New York.

So Max had a combined Bacon-Erdős-Sabbath number of seven, which is as low as I've ever seen documented (Laurence Krauss claims a seven, but I would dispute his Sabbath number as his performance with Depp was not musical). When I told him this, he seemed far more pleased than anyone should be over something that is, almost by definition, trivial.

*Max maintained that Gardner had an Erdős number of one. I can't find the credit, but if true, that brings Max's BES number to six.

Richard Forster

Postby Richard Forster » November 2nd, 2022, 1:15 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:*Max maintained that Gardner had an Erdős number of one. I can't find the credit, but if true, that brings Max's BES number to six.

I believe this is incorrect. There's a reasonably detailed list of those with an Erdős number of one or two at Okaland University (https://oakland.edu/enp/thedata/) and Martin Gardner appears there with a number of two.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » November 2nd, 2022, 1:52 pm

This is so sad. It is the end of an era.

Max was such a unique force in magic.

Max was irreplaceable. There was nobody like Max.

And there never will be again.

RIP

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 2nd, 2022, 2:00 pm

A good interview with Max (Mark Evanier is an animation and comics writer who is a member of the Magic Castle).

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » November 2nd, 2022, 2:46 pm

Terrible news. Max was a treasure.

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Postby katterfelt0 » November 2nd, 2022, 3:06 pm

I hesitated to post because I had no words.
I've had many a correspondence with Mr. Maven and he was unfailingly helpful.
He will be missed.
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

Ron Giesecke
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby Ron Giesecke » November 2nd, 2022, 3:29 pm

Never met him, but his labyrinthine knowledge and historical depth will not be replaced. What a loss.

Jon Pendragon
Favorite Magician: Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jon Pendragon » November 2nd, 2022, 3:36 pm

I met Max in the late 70s and almost immediately we became friends. The friendship only grew over the years until I considered him one of my closest friends in life. When West and I exchanged vows on the little bridge at Brookledge, Max officiated and joined us in marriage. Max felt, early on, that the Pendragons, who had yet been recognized for their work, deserved an award, so he made one for us. That was Max. A gentle spirit and an extraordinary mind. He became part of the "Larsen Family" like West and myself. Erika and Liberty were there when he passed away. He wasn't alone, he was surrounded by many friends and died peacefully. Magic has lost a giant who can not be replaced ever. He was sui generis if ever there was one and we all loved him for it. Knowing Max he probably would have preferred Halloween, like Houdini, but got the day after, which I feel is better as he deserves his own day with no connection to a rank magician being the Mentalist Supreme that he was. Aloha Max

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » November 2nd, 2022, 3:57 pm

I watched him lecture in Worcester, Massachusetts back in the very early 80s. I was fortunate to see him lecture and perform many times since then. What an exceptional mind, and what an exceptional human being. Sad day...

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » November 2nd, 2022, 4:40 pm

Very sad to hear. Was there any family remaining?

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » November 2nd, 2022, 4:45 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:A good interview with Max (Mark Evanier is an animation and comics writer who is a member of the Magic Castle).

What a great interview.

What a great magician.

There is an unfillable hole in the world of Magic.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 2nd, 2022, 6:34 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:Very sad to hear. Was there any family remaining?

Yes, Max has two sisters.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

JohnKennedy

Postby JohnKennedy » November 2nd, 2022, 6:39 pm

This is very sad news. So many magic legends in my lifetime have passed away. Boo!

mbreggar

Postby mbreggar » November 2nd, 2022, 8:07 pm

I am very saddened by this news. We never met personally but communicated several times via email.

His magical DNA was totally unique as was his performing, teaching and writing style.

Max’s legacy makes him immortal.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 2nd, 2022, 10:49 pm

If you look at the outpouring of grief and sympathy here, on Facebook, on Twitter, and elsewhere, it's obvious that Max's family was huge. They just weren't related by blood.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 2nd, 2022, 11:21 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:

Yes, Max has two sisters.

Didn't he also have a partner? I seem to recall a photo in Genii a while back.

Marty Jacobs
Favorite Magician: Alex Elmsley

Postby Marty Jacobs » November 3rd, 2022, 5:37 am

I was fortunate enough to see Max perform his one-person show Thinking in Person as part of the International Magic Convention (Ron's Day) several years ago now (I think it was 2011). His show was superb, one of the best I've ever seen. What I loved about Max as a performer is that he wasn't afraid to mix magic, mentalism and high culture. His show was unashamedly intellectual but featured mentalism that anyone could understand and appreciate.

I met him briefly at the Session Convention a few years later but, sadly, never got to sit down and talk magic with him. I always wanted to discuss his love of packet tricks with him. Max certainly was one of the greatest polymaths in our community: a groundbreaking mentalist, a card conjurer supreme and possibly the most knowledgeable scholar of magic. And, on top of that, maybe the most prolific publisher of magic and mentalism. Thanks for your generosity, Max. You will be greatly missed.

My love and thoughts are with Max's close friends and family.

Marty

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » November 3rd, 2022, 10:09 am

I only met him once at some convention or other. I do remember he was 29 years old at the time. I was sitting with him and David Berglas. All three of us were having a spirited discussion. Both of them were trying to convince me that I was wrong in saying that you can over present magic. I still haven't changed my mind on the matter.

I always thought he had a good voice which I think is half the battle when performing. He also had a distinct character which is always a good thing. I do remember getting irritated at the remarks made about him in Ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment" book which I always thought were condescending and unwarranted.

The magic community will certainly miss him.

Curtis The Mentalist
Favorite Magician: What is this, third grade?

Postby Curtis The Mentalist » November 3rd, 2022, 10:42 am

A friend just told me about this. Very sorry to hear of his passing. Never actually met the man, but was definitely influenced by his work as most of us have been.
Curtis Waltermire
Mentalist/Speaker/Actor/Army Veteran/Grandpa/Cool Dad & Above-Average Husband
https://CurtisTheMentalist.com
https://MastermindShowComedy.com

DennisLisi
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby DennisLisi » November 3rd, 2022, 12:26 pm

In the mid Seventies, as a kid, I would occasionally see Phil demonstrating tricks at The Factory in Boston (I omit the proprietor's name simply because I don't wish to stir up any controversy). He was a quiet man who seemed very intent on what he was doing. Enigmatic, but inspiring too.

He evidently created memories wherever he went. And in those memories, I feel he shall live as long as they are kept.

Peter Ross
Favorite Magician: Doug Henning

Postby Peter Ross » November 3rd, 2022, 2:06 pm

I am so sad to hear about Max Maven’s passing. I will always feel lucky and honored that I got to perform on the same bill with him for one special night and that he also got to witness my little act up close - offering kind, encouraging words (even though I succumbed to the “Max Maven Curse” - screwing up while performing in front of him).

Like with countless others, Max amazingly seemed to find the time to correspond about various historical magic queries and did he so thoughtfully and kindly.

Max’s lecture at Tannens Magic in NYC a few years back was one of the best nights of magic I’ve experienced.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » November 3rd, 2022, 3:20 pm

In addition to his being an excellent performer, prolific creator, and intellectual resource, Max excelled at amusing us. I loved his Inquisition articles in Genii and his more recent Magic Castle perks: Storytime with Max Maven.

I will miss him greatly.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 3rd, 2022, 4:58 pm

When I first joined Twitter, Max's was one of the first accounts I followed, and I was flattered that he saw fit to follow me. That he has tweeted so seldom since he announced his cancer was always a concern - was he feeling poorly, was he too tired, was the effort to post too much, or (worst of all) did he simply have nothing to say?

He did have one more thing to say, and thanks to whoever posted it for him.

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » November 3rd, 2022, 8:02 pm

"Picasso Aces" has been one of my very favourites card routines in my repertoire. My people always enjoyed its magical effect.
God bless you Mr. Maven.
I've read all the posts in this thread, and being one of the few members that never meet him I would like to join the sorrow of his friends and family.
My sincere condolences.
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

TerryTerrell
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby TerryTerrell » November 4th, 2022, 7:28 am

While the magic world grieves the loss of Max, we can be thankful that we were able to witness him in performance on TV or in person and experience him unlike so many past masters who we can only know through the written word.

My third timed seeing/visiting with him was at the Genii 2017 Convention. I was able to combine to lifetime loves of magic and Pro Wrestling as Max had invited William Regal (WWE) and two other NXT performers to the Saturday show. It was a joy to be a fly on that wall.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » November 4th, 2022, 1:22 pm

I only met Max Maven once, at the British Ring Convention in Scarborough in 1995. But as the convention was a five day affair we had several brief chats over the period. Very amiable. He performed and lectured.

Prior to this we had corresponded regularly. He contributed numerous tricks to a magazine I had a little involvement with. The correspondence and the tricks continued after the convention. The flow eased somewhat when the magazine finished, but it didn’t end altogether.

Return to “Buzz”