RIP Max Maven

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Re: RIP Max Maven

Postby erdnasephile » November 5th, 2022, 7:00 am

FISM 2022 Max Maven Interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZSEgDI-zJw

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » November 5th, 2022, 10:45 am

erdnasephile wrote:FISM 2022 Max Maven Interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZSEgDI-zJw

Very moving, more so in hindsight.

Bob Coyne
Favorite Magician: Charlies [sic]

Postby Bob Coyne » November 5th, 2022, 10:41 pm

Such a wonderful and moving interview. Thank you so much for posting it. What a treasure has been lost.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 12th, 2022, 7:45 pm

Max at the Gathering for Gardner, on the Gilbreath Principle.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 20th, 2022, 6:23 pm

Max was a fan of professional wrestling. I grew up in Nashville in the 1970s, and saw Jackie Fargo wrestle on local TV many times. Max and I talked about and corresponded about wrestling, including Fargo, several times.

All that being the case, I wish Max was still around so I could send him this link. He, no doubt, would already be familiar with the story.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 22nd, 2022, 9:49 pm

The November issue of Michael Close's excellent newsletter includes remembrances by Michael, Eric Mead, Mac King, and Jamy Ian Swiss. It's a wonderful read. I particularly enjoyed Eric Mead's recounting of the first time he met Mr. Maven. (What Mr. Maven said to Mr. Mead was classic--and made me smile.).

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » December 20th, 2022, 1:54 pm

The tributes to Max in January's Genii are excellent.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 21st, 2022, 6:26 am

I have a giant poster of Max from his 4F tribute. It's signed, "To Bob--I've seen your act. Please stop looking at this poster. Max Maven." It's on the door to my office--actually it covers the entire door--so I say hello to Max several times a day.

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » December 21st, 2022, 7:38 am

Bob Farmer wrote: "To Bob--I've seen your act. Please stop looking at this poster. Max Maven."

is hilarious.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 21st, 2022, 2:27 pm

Today would have been Max Maven's 72nd birthday. Reminding him of his birthday was not just a bad idea (he disliked the notion), but also futile; it was this time of year, virtually every year, that he would already be in Japan so he would not receive calls, cards, and whatnot regarding that "celebration."

Well, he has no choice now, I suppose. But I suspect that everyone wishing him a Happy Birthday today is trying to get him to haunt them ... which is not really a bad idea.
So HAPPY BIRTHDAY Max!

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » December 21st, 2022, 3:25 pm

Be a great time for an administrator to sign in under Max's name and give Dustin a Boo.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 21st, 2022, 8:45 pm

In all good conscience I can't do it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 22nd, 2022, 2:38 am

I've seen clips of "Thinking in Person" online. Was the whole show ever recorded?

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 22nd, 2022, 12:39 pm

Don't quote me, but I think it was when Magicana brought it up to Canada. That is probably where your clips are coming from as they are in Donna Zuckerbrot's wonderful documentary Max Maven: A Fabulous Monster.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 22nd, 2022, 2:31 pm

We recorded the entire show from multiple angles when Max performed it at the Genii convention just for archival purposes. There is a 17 minute clip montage in the new digital issue of Genii.

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » December 30th, 2022, 7:47 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:We recorded the entire show from multiple angles when Max performed it at the Genii convention just for archival purposes. There is a 17 minute clip montage in the new digital issue of Genii.

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to watch the show at Genii.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 31st, 2022, 5:01 pm

I recently sat down for a quiet read of the Max Maven memorial issue of Genii. What a great issue!

I was especially struck by the notion expressed by Richard and Jamy that writing eulogies for dear friends is a great, meaningful last favor, but one that is sadly becoming more common these days.

Reading these remembrances made me sad at first because although he was infallibly gracious to my email correspondence, I only met Mr. Maven once and I did not know him. However, upon reflection, I have studied, read, internalized and applied his writings repeatedly over the years and in fact, I did know the part of him he deigned to share with us and I'm all the better for that.

What a fine tribute this issue was, and thanks to all of those involved.

P.S.: I would be remiss if I did not mention Richard's Genii Speaks in particular. What is made plain here (and also in the introduction to "Mr. Jennings Takes it Easy") is what a remarkably talented writer Richard is. Both pieces are personal, insightful, and moving without being maudlin or overwrought. Most importantly, they give a true sense of the man they laud. Reading the essays late at night, one gets the sense the prose was fueled by tears and gratitude. Thank you for sharing these wonderful writings, Richard!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 31st, 2022, 8:17 pm

Thank you, and have a happy new year!

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 23rd, 2023, 10:07 pm

Max Maven’s memorial at the Castle last night was splendid. All of the speakers were wonderful. It was at times tearfully heart-wrenching, at times funny, and every emotion in between.

While Genii was briefly alluded to by Erika Larsen, I would like to add to it, if I may be allowed. Max’s relationship with the magazine started decades ago. He worked with Bill Larsen Jr. and, of course, Erika, and with Richard Kaufman when he took over the publication. (He even worked with me—though I question my worthiness in comparison to the others). Max was incredibly important to Genii over the years. At different times, he did just about everything for the magazine; everything short of running the printing presses. From articles, regular columns, editing, layout, and more. When Genii started its foray into the digital world, Max did a wonderful audio column for a while. And with all of that, he only appeared on its cover a few times—the last time being one he would never get to see; the January 2023 issue where Richard Kaufman, Stephen Minch, David Rich, Jamy Ian Swiss, and all of our readers say goodbye.

The ancient Egyptians believed that there were two deaths: the physical one and then the last time someone’s name was ever spoken. This is why the names of the pharos are carved so many times in and around their tombs; it made them immortal. Max carved his name in our books, videos, and in our magazines—especially Genii. Max Maven will live forever because of all of this. That and the fact that he also carved his name onto our hearts. I love you Max, I miss you, and I thank you for more than you will ever know.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 25th, 2023, 4:08 pm

That memorial was really great--the video is up on the AMA Members' site right now.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 26th, 2023, 11:01 am

Thanks, that was lovely, everything Dustin said.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 26th, 2023, 5:36 pm

Here is one of my favorite Max stories and one which I think he enjoyed immensely.

Max was booked to do his theory lecture in Toronto for the Hat and Rabbit Club. I introduced him as the, "The Sound of One Man Rapping."

Max started out by explaining this was a theory lecture not a trick lecture.

At the time there was an older member of the club. If he had been an actor, Central Casting would have described him as perfect for a role as a senior SS officer in a World War II epic.

He was also a complete lunatic, claiming that through hypnosis he had communicated with Martians. He also had played a major part many years before in having hypnosis acts banned in Ontario (something I managed to crush when I was representing Reveen and his act--but that's another story).

This guy was sitting in the front row, a few feet from Max.

As the lecture proceeded, there were emitted form this guy, a slowly building series of grunts and wheezes designed to communicate distaste.

Max ignored the guy and continued, but as he did, this guy starts huffing and puffing and suddenly jumps out of his seat and stands nose to nose with Max and starts yelling over and over in broken English:

"Vare are dee trix!? Vare are dee trix!? Vare are dee trix!? " and he stomps off out the door still yelling as he exits down a hallway.

Max, calm as Sunday morning, waits a beat and then speaks, "As I said this is a theory lecture."

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 26th, 2023, 5:46 pm

Wonderful story, Bob. It's too bad Max didn't have a squirting flower in his lapel when the guy went nose to nose with him, yelling "Vare are dee trix!?" Then Max could have said, "There you go."

David Ben

Postby David Ben » January 26th, 2023, 7:23 pm

I love Bob, and Bob knows that, but…

I was the President of the club at the time who asked Max to do the theory lecture. Bob’s description of the member was only partially correct. I am surprised that Bob did not use one of his previous turns of phrase, “the guy swore he was Austrian, but forgot the years between 39 and 45, and was just following orders.” Where Bob is mistaken is that the guy had nothing to do with the anti-hypnotism laws for entertainment purpose being imposed. That was someone completely different.

Max handled the situation particularly well, confessing that the guy walked out too soon as the second half was ALL tricks, which it was.

Max took the greatest satisfaction, however, from a comment made by Howard Lyons. Howard said in front of the group that he had only seen a member storm out like that once before, and that was at Stewart James lecture at the club decades earlier. Max was very pleased to be in Stewart’s company.

The guy stormed out of Stewart’s lecture because Stewart thought he was there to only perform his tricks, not explain them. When the guy demanded Stewart explain his tricks, as was the custom for most lecturers, and Stewart refused and held his ground, the guy stormed out.

I miss all three - Howard, Stewart, and Max.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 27th, 2023, 1:59 am

Erika Larsen has also posted the tribute video on her FB page ... very moving and well worth watching.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 27th, 2023, 6:59 am

David, excellent Lyons story.

The Great Morton was the catalyst for the anti-hypnosis law because the guy in question and he were pals until TGM refused to reveal certain secrets. I talked to the guy once about this (that's when he told me about the Martians). I got the original story from a hypnosis therapist (and real faker) who had an office in my building (hypnotherapy was legal, stage hypnosis was not).

It was my plan at the time, if we got to court, to bring in the guy as a witness to get the history and then after he sounded completely sane and credible ask him about the Martians.

Reveen did his show at the Royal York because the law had no enforcement provisions and since it is legally easy to prove that there is and isn't anything called "hypnosis," so void for uncertainty.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 27th, 2023, 7:23 am

The guy was friends with a legislator and that's how the law got passed.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » January 27th, 2023, 10:59 am

I know something about this hypnosis being banned in Ontario. I also know who got the law repealed. ME! I explained the story in my most worthy memoirs "The Lives of a Showman" obtainable here! (4th book down)

http://marklewisentertainment.com/html/magicians.html

Oh, and while you are at it you can take note of the first book on the page. All about stage hypnotism and how to do it! Again by ME!
Not that I am the type to brag of course.................

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 27th, 2023, 12:33 pm

Hi Mark: Excellent work. It was repealed in 1997. I didn't get it repealed, I just argued it was worthless, meaningless and had no teeth.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » January 27th, 2023, 1:39 pm

Yes. It was indeed around 1997. After a great deal of fuss and bother they told me that it had no teeth. I responded, "Well, if it has no teeth what is the point of it anyway?" Shortly afterwards it was gone. I never met the magician who got the law on the books in the first place but I was amused to hear that after he did it he became a hypnotherapist himself!

Return to “Buzz”