Is Johnson Products out of business?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Is Johnson Products out of business?

Postby erdnasephile » September 30th, 2022, 11:29 am

All:
I heard a rumor that Johnson Products is out of business. Is this true? (Their website is down for "maintenance")

If it's true (and I really hope not)--what a shame! I grew up on all their stuff...

Tom Gilbert

Re: Is Johnson Products out of business?

Postby Tom Gilbert » September 30th, 2022, 11:49 am

Their site has been down for maintenance for quite a while now. Supposedly, they had been making medical parts during the pandemic.
Like you, grew up with JP.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 1st, 2022, 9:10 am

This came from Tricksupply.com

"Johnson Products had shut down their coin manufacturing operation during the pandemic in what was hoped to be a temporary move in order to focus on the production of parts for ventilators. Unfortunately I spoke to them last week and they will not be able to manufacture their precision coin gaffs in the future. I was able to secure most of the remaining stock for Tricksupply and I am offering the items thru the website."

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » October 1st, 2022, 9:54 am

That is a shame. I grew up with them as well. Johnson was the true workhorse of coin gaffs. I assume their cups are discontinued also?

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » October 1st, 2022, 12:40 pm

I am sorry to hear of this. Their products were always of superior quality and reasonably priced. They set the standard long before the super-expensive custom gaff makers came on the scene. Customer service was great too (unlike some that shall go unnamed). Until a few months ago, when I purchased a really nice dollar-size CSB from Tom Ladshaw, I performed with the standard Johnson CSB set I purchased in 1990 at virtually every walk-around and/or close up gig. It never let me down, and is still perfect and ready to go today if need be. It's just that the new dollar-size is more suitable to my rather large hands. Sad to see the end of an era.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 1st, 2022, 3:44 pm

The coins were always a sideline for the company, not a priority of its business.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » October 1st, 2022, 5:51 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:The coins were always a sideline for the company, not a priority of its business.

Sure, but.

It's not a perfect metaphor but it's like Doc Daley giving up magic to concentrate on surgery or Larry Jennings quitting to focus on his plumbing.

Johnson will be missed.

I'm sure we will miss them more than they will miss us...

Dan LeFay

Postby Dan LeFay » October 2nd, 2022, 9:32 am

I remember visiting Johnson in the late 90's because I wanted to get a Morgan shell. Met Mike Caveney there who was so incredibly friendly. He offered me a tour in the workshop and I saw things about manufacturing I never realized. At that time the silver gaffs were virtualy impossible to get in Europe. I left a happy and more educated customer. It is a pity they stopped their side business. Customer support we can only dream of nowadays...
:roll:

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 3rd, 2022, 9:02 pm

Sadly, this has now been confirmed. (and vis a vis Dustin's comment: I should have titled the thread: "Is Johnson Products out of the magic business?")

Johnson Products made a lot of great, unique stuff not available anywhere else ("Impress-X", "The Mint", and "Weber's Key" come to mind). They also found an important sweet spot in the market: superb quality/moderate prices for the more common gaffs we all use. (Hopefully, someone will rise to the opportunity to fill this void.)

Thanks to the Johnson Products' folks for a terrific run!

Return to “Buzz”