Mark Raffles R.I.P.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Mark Raffles R.I.P.

Postby Q. Kumber » September 20th, 2022, 7:37 am

Via his son, Tim Raffles-Taylor comes the sad news that Mark Raffles passed away in his sleep on Sunday 18th September. Mark recently celebrated his 100th birthday. Born in Manchester (opposite the Palace Theatre) he spent his life in showbiz, always working. He developed different acts, most notably pickpocketing but also sleight-of-hand and he and his late wife Joan took over the Wychwood act which used multiple poodles.

Some pickpocketing and Cups and Balls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkf8pK4H0hs

The Wychwoods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRP9Lt0c_Sk

magicmelville

Re: Mark Raffles R.I.P.

Postby magicmelville » September 20th, 2022, 3:33 pm

Very sad news, though 100 years is amazing. Great touch with watches. Condolences to his family.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » September 20th, 2022, 4:24 pm

Mark Raffles once explained to me why magic is an art form rather than a mere craft or hobby. He gave the best argument for it that I have ever heard. Mind you, although I am convinced it is an art 90 percent of so called "magicians" are not artists.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 22nd, 2022, 10:58 am

Tarotist wrote:Mark Raffles once explained to me why magic is an art form rather than a mere craft or hobby. He gave the best argument for it that I have ever heard. Mind you, although I am convinced it is an art 90 percent of so called "magicians" are not artists.

First of all, condolences to Mark Raffles' family and friends, and it wouldn't surprise me if he continues in show business in the Great Magical Beyond. Passion like that doesn't "die." A lifetime of 100 years on this plane and transitioning peacefully in one's sleep! One could hardly ask for or expect more than that.

As far as the art versus artist dichotomy, I don't believe it is the practitioners that determine whether something is or is not an art. As an analogy, if an aspiring ballerina frequently trips and falls, that does nothing to diminish Ballet itself as an art. Nor would the fact that one who calls him/herself a "painter" produces paintings that look like the average kid's in kindergarten make painting any less of an art. But all of this said, I do believe that any magician who really dedicates and devotes him/herself to improving their skills (including presentation) can improve significantly, and ultimately become an artist. As for myself, after doing this for almost 7 decades since age 6, I feel like I have barely hit the tip of the iceberg...

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » September 22nd, 2022, 12:12 pm

I can't remember everything he said but the bit I do remember is that was obviously an art because there was so much written about it. Entire books could and have been written about one sleight. He felt the subject was so vast and complex that it had to be an art. That was only part of what he said but it made sense to me. All the books written about presentation, sleights, tricks, history etc; with such detail made it obviously an art.

I have always regarded it as such.

Return to “Buzz”