This is a Magic Auction ...

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

This is a Magic Auction ...

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 6th, 2022, 3:55 pm

Here is the next Potter & Potter auction. Lots of great lots (including some of David Roth's personal stuff). Enjoy:
https://auctions.potterauctions.com/Cat ... ionid=1139

Tom Gilbert

Re: This is a Magic Auction ...

Postby Tom Gilbert » September 7th, 2022, 6:51 am

Here goes another hour of wishful thinking.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 7th, 2022, 9:09 am

Does anyone know what Mr. Roth used the Tardis for?

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » September 7th, 2022, 10:48 am

That briefcase gives me the shivers. Those brilliant iconic routines, ready-to-go at a moment's notice.

Nev Blenk

Postby Nev Blenk » September 7th, 2022, 3:15 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Does anyone know what Mr. Roth used the Tardis for?

I believe he kept the miniture table inside it for safe keeping.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 8th, 2022, 2:31 am

Thank you, Mr. Blenk--that makes a lot of sense.

On an unrelated note, I'm a little sad that Mr. Roth's AMA awards are up for sale. While I would certainly defer to Mr. Roth's heirs as to what should be done with them, the selfish part of me wishes they could all be remanded back to the AMA for display at the Castle.

Michael Rubinstein
Favorite Magician: Michael Rubinstein

Postby Michael Rubinstein » September 8th, 2022, 7:50 am

I don't believe that David's manager found a venue willing to display them.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 8th, 2022, 9:18 am

Michael Rubinstein wrote:I don't believe that David's manager found a venue willing to display them.

IMHO, that's a bummer--Mr. Roth was the unquestioned GOAT of coin magic. I wish the AMA or another entity could have accommodated these so future generations could have enjoyed (and been inspired) by a display.

Nev Blenk

Postby Nev Blenk » September 8th, 2022, 12:05 pm

Alas, it maybe a case of most props ending up in a private collection and never seeing the light of day again. I hope not.

To own those coin boxes, use them and tell everyone in earshot who they belonged to would be a dream.

Nev

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 8th, 2022, 2:40 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:That briefcase gives me the shivers. Those brilliant iconic routines, ready-to-go at a moment's notice.

Puzzling - as he used a doctor's bag when he did the hole/tuning fork/coinbox/planet/sleeve act.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 8th, 2022, 2:57 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Jack Shalom wrote:That briefcase gives me the shivers. Those brilliant iconic routines, ready-to-go at a moment's notice.

Puzzling - as he used a doctor's bag when he did the hole/tuning fork/coinbox/planet/sleeve act.

That doctor's bag also played a pivotal role in a well-known Roth story involving a Hollywood parade (See David Regal's Interpreting Magic)

PS: I find it amusing that more magicians use doctor's bags than actual docs do. (Neurologists excepted, since they have to find a place to keep those long hammers)

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » September 8th, 2022, 3:08 pm

I've been using a leather doctor's bag for strolling magic for forty years. I did a show for a doctor and magician hobbyist, and he was very excited to see it. He said: “Nobody uses these anymore! Everyone uses EMT kits.”.

Michael Rubinstein

Postby Michael Rubinstein » September 9th, 2022, 2:36 pm

The suitcase certainly contains some of his props and is a wonderful collection of Roth material. David also had duplicates of a lot of his stuff (although as far as I know he only had 1 mini-table and kept it in that tin), so there are additional props of his showpieces held privately that didn't go to auction. For example, I am fortunate to have the sleeve from the opposite side of the jacket (the sleeves came from a jacket that belonged to Mike Skinner, btw), along with the mirror and large coin.
Roth did use doctor bags earlier in his career (I think I saw three at his apartment), and when we went on joint lecture tours or at the NYCMS, he carried his stuff in a lighter satchel. So maybe this one was used for carrying stuff when he performed private shows for laymen, at a different point of his career, or for storage. In any case, it is a marvelous collection of Roth material and a wonderful opportunity to get memorabilia of one of the greatest coin workers in magic.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 10th, 2022, 3:26 pm

I never saw Roth use anything other than a doctor's bag.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Michael Rubinstein

Postby Michael Rubinstein » September 10th, 2022, 5:08 pm

Here is a video when Roth and I arrived in Manila. You can see Roth carrying his satchel at the airport, which had the props he used on the tour and was also used to carry the money he earned on his tours.
https://youtu.be/9LVho52UwjY
Funny story - Rannie Raymundo, our host, had a film crew waiting for us at the airport. After the tour we went through customs, and I got stopped for carrying unchanged money in my money belt (you have to change all your money before going through customs. Roth had his money in his satchel, and went right through. They were going to confiscate all of my money, but someone recognized us from the filming and as a result they walked me back through customs and allowed me to change my money!

Michael Rubinstein

Postby Michael Rubinstein » September 17th, 2022, 1:15 pm

Aucrion ended. That suitcase went for $26,000. I hope the person who spent all that money will be able to display it in a place where magicians can view and appreciate it.

Michael Rubinstein

Postby Michael Rubinstein » September 17th, 2022, 9:19 pm

I just looked, and somehow the final bid on that suitcase went up to $31,200. Not sure how that happens. David's edition of Bobo, given to him by his parents, went for $10,200. Wow. Yrs ago when David needed money, I told him to sell his Bobo. We figured he could get about $1500 for it, but he couldn't find someone willing to make a deal. Who knew?

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » September 18th, 2022, 4:34 am

Michael Rubinstein wrote: ... somehow the final bid on that suitcase went up to $31,200. Not sure how that happens.

A 20% buyers premium was added.

Dick Koornwinder

Re: RE: Re: This is a Magic Auction ...

Postby Dick Koornwinder » September 18th, 2022, 11:50 am

Yes, it seems like a lot of money ($10,200.00) for a worn-out book, but you must realize it’s worn out by David Roth and that makes all the difference. A small detail from the catalog….’Spine completely separated and used as a bookmark’. As Michael mentioned the book was a gift from David’s parents and I was quite touched by the inscription they made. “To David, on your 16th birthday, for years of hard work and immeasurable enjoyment. Love Mom and Dad.”

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-P610 met Tapatalk

Michael Rubinstein

Postby Michael Rubinstein » September 18th, 2022, 12:28 pm

It was the book that really got David started in coin magic. As far as I am concerned, it was the most important piece in the auction. I hope the buyer will be able to display it to other magicians. I am glad the seller allowed other magicians a chance to own some of David's things.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » September 18th, 2022, 9:12 pm

I remember that briefcase from when David was in Sacramento, CA for the A-1 Multimedia "Convention at the Capital" in the late '90s. He did many of his famous routines at about 10am. Even though he was obviously tired, he "set" himself and walked on, and executed everything the way he always did - cleanly and precisely.

Return to “Buzz”