Dorenbos on AGT 8_2022

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Dorenbos on AGT 8_2022

Postby erdnasephile » August 18th, 2022, 9:47 am

https://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent ... E415173751

I thought he kept a level head and covered about as well as he could've in a very high-pressure situation. (He also did a good job dodging a bullet when Simon grabbed two slips of paper).

In many fields, we drill multiple scenarios for when things go wrong. I know that you pros out there probably do the same. (One of the best examples I've read, is the first appendix to Kirk Charles' Manual of Restaurant Magic where he lists a gauntlet of situations to see if you're truly ready to perform for the public.)

With that in mind, if you were in the same situation, is there anything else you would have done to salvage it? Are there some things you would have done to lessen the chances of this happening? Were there any outs that could have been built into the routine, presentational or otherwise? Did the "failure" actually make the magic stronger?

(I want to make it clear I mean no disrespect to Mr. Dorenbos. I try to look at situations like this not as an opportunity to mock or criticize, but rather a chance to think and learn for when the inevitable happens.)

Jack Shalom

Re: Dorenbos on AGT 8_2022

Postby Jack Shalom » August 18th, 2022, 10:25 am

The failure didn't make it stronger, but he handled it the best he could under the circumstances. A mentalism "fail" needs to be carefully planned. This one clearly revealed the forcing nature of at least one of the choices. Not good at all.

I'm not sure what could have been done--some kind of marking of the papers so he would have known what slip Heidi actually ended up with right away?

But, I will say that Dorenbas was in the moment from the very beginning to end--always responding to what was said and happening at the moment, and that and his pleasant personality saved it from being a complete disaster.

Four number forces in a row is a tough method problem--to do it quickly without too much procedure presents a challenge. Not sure what would work better.

It played big. I wonder if it packs small? (folding women, collapsible helmets, origami lockers...)

Return to “Buzz”