Magic in the Magic Kingdom (Anaheim, CA); 8-2022

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Magic in the Magic Kingdom (Anaheim, CA); 8-2022

Postby erdnasephile » August 7th, 2022, 3:38 am

SPOILERS follow...

I just had the pleasure of spending the day at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA. Having worked in Fantasyland in Tinkerbell's Toy Shop and Merlin's Magic Shop way back in the day, I always make a point of looking for magic in the park during my infrequent visits these days. Here's some of what I found:

1. Perhaps the most interesting to me: the Main Street Magic Shop continues to survive, but I noticed immediately that the stock had changed when I walked through the door. Namely, a whole bunch of Vanishing, Inc. publications (including all of the new releases) and scads of the new Jerry's Nuggets decks greeted me. (For you collectors out there, I did note some dearly priced old collectables left over from the old shop--> some interesting metal props from P & L, a John Calvert magic set, and some interesting ephemera.

2. The Dr. Strange Magic show (in Avengers Campus) includes a few magic effects, including a spring flower crystal casket type box, a zombie mask (which was actually done pretty well), and an appearing pole (which wasn't done so well). Pro tip: if you really want to see this show, arrive early and sit along the wall. Otherwise, you'll either get stuck on the floor or standing in the broiling sun, which makes a "Meh" kind of show even more tedious.

3. In contrast, the Tale of the Lion King Show (in the Fantasyland Theatre near It's a Small World) was absolutely terrific! Great singing and dance with a very energetic and talented troupe. Look for a fun sequence made possible by D-Lites. It's also an ideal show to go to around 5:00pm as it has lots of shade, plenty of seats, and a great place to relax with an ice-cold drink before the after dark activities get started.

Finally, it's not magic (but) here are 3 Pro Tips: 1) Rise of the Resistance is the best Disney ride I've ever been on (Make sure NOT to watch or read anything about the ride for the maximum experience--and that's all I'm gonna say). 2) The "World of Color" Dessert Party in California Disney is a bit pricey, but man, is it worth it! You get a huge plate of great desserts along with prime seating for the show. Just stunning! and 3) Genie+ is really worth it if you want to get the most out of your visit, not only for the Lightning Lane capability, but also unlimited professional photos delivered right to your phone, as well other perks.

All in all, a great day!

magicam

Re: Magic in the Magic Kingdom (Anaheim, CA); 8-2022

Postby magicam » August 7th, 2022, 12:25 pm

For several summers in the early 1970s, I'd go to Disneyland 20-30 times each summer to hang out with the Main Street magic employees, when I was 9-12 years old. My parents would drop me off at the Disneyland Hotel and I'd take the tram to the park (yes, very different times then!). One of the Main Street magic employees would come down to the entrance to let me in the park free as a guest, and I'd hang out there off and on throughout the day from 9 am until dinner time and sometimes after. Back then it was a real magic shop with a large selection of tricks and books, and employees who knew magic. I remember Chuck (last name escapes me), who I think was also studying law, and Steve Shreiner, among other employees. Nice guys.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 7th, 2022, 12:57 pm

********* *** purchased what was left of Geno Munari's business "Houdini Magic" several months ago. There are only two shops left: the one at Disneyland on Main Street and one on a pier in, I believe, San Francisco.

Those who are interested should know that the Magic Shop is the only store on Main Street whose ceiling, walls, and molding are the same as opening day at Disneyland.

The shop has been, and will continue to be, in a period of slow transition that will last into late fall. Disney moves very slowly and makes its third-party licensees move even move slowly. Window displays must be created by Walt Disney Imagineering at great cost, approved by the higher ups at Disney, and only then can they be installed. The strong California sun plays havoc with anything it hits. All of this is extremely expensive and time consuming.

It will take a while for ******** **** to figure out what sells (only a small number of items that are small and light enough to be easily carried) and what doesn't (just about everything else).

The last time that Disney was in charge of the shop, the best selling items were small Disney souvenirs (not magic) that they were using to fill shelf space. They greatly outsold any of the magic by an enormous margin. Third party licensees are not allowed to sell ANY Disney souvenirs in their shops, robbing them of their most valuable products.

Only a large company that can carry a store that loses money can afford to run this business. I was offered the opportunity to lease the shop and run it decades ago. I turned it down.

EDITED AT THE REQUEST OF THE NEW OWNERS
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Randy Naviaux

Postby Randy Naviaux » August 8th, 2022, 1:39 pm

Interesting. I hadnt realized ******** had purchased Houdinis. I was sad to see their absence in Las Vegas.

I can only imagine how expensive the rent/lease is in such a place. The ******* shops in ****** must have had outrageous overhead as well.

I thought it was very clever to sell a product that cost pennies to make at 40 bucks a pop. Very visual, etc. Once that product had saturated the market I wondered what they would come up with that had such a large profit margin. Watching the guys in ****** sell the "floating license" reminded me of old time carney pitches. The faces of the buyers as they came out of the backroom after learning the "secret" was evidence enough for me that this strategy wasn't going to pan out in the long run.

Back in 77/78 I purchased a set of Chinese sticks at the Magic Shop in Disneyworld. Oh the agony of deciding what I could buy with my meager budget. I can't believe I am going to say this but in some way I miss that. Not having the funds to get what ever I wanted made each choice that much more delicious. I'm glad to say that I felt like I got great value for my money then. I performed that effect for a couple years.

A year later I discovered "Amateur Magicians Handbook" by Henry Hay at a local book stand. Mind blown. By this time I had drove demonstrators crazy at a local shop in Minneapolis. No one had told me such a book existed. Maybe ******* is hoping to create long term customers with their shop in Disneyland by selling books. I don't know if that is a sound strategy or not.

It seems to be the defining trait between a life long devotee and a short-term hobbyist. One starts reading books. The other buys a run of the basic "intro" tricks and thinks he is in the know. Can we force this bridge to be crossed? No idea.

Just some rambling thoughts....:)

EDITED AT THE REQUEST OF THE OWNERS

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » August 8th, 2022, 2:09 pm

You can actually make far more money selling a few magic tricks (sometimes even only one) on nothing but a 6 foot table than you can with an entire magic shop. I have done it for years and years and years. I well remember doing so in a Ripleys museum and they told me I took in more money on my little table than the entire museum on their quieter days at the beginning of the season.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 8th, 2022, 8:54 pm

Thanks for the insight and inside information, RK!
It's an interesting set of problems, given that location has probably the most walk-by traffic of just about any magic shop in the world (> 50,000 individuals a day walk past that shop at least twice).
The window display currently is rather uninviting. I look forward to seeing what the future holds in that respect. I think the display cabinets are still the Merv Taylor originals, right?
I was told that decks of cards are currently selling well. In addition to the JNugs, they carry the Bikes with the Marvel branded backs, which makes sense.
I wonder if they would sell more magic stuff if Disney would allow them to sell US versions of the Disney themed Tenyo stuff you see in Japan.
I sure hope that ****** finds a way to make this work--I wish them all the best!

EDITED AT THE REQUEST OF THE NEW OWNERS

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 8th, 2022, 9:02 pm

The first thing you need to do is increase foot traffic into the shop. Most people only walk through it from the shops on either side and don't stop.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » August 8th, 2022, 9:34 pm

It is easy to get traffic inside the shop. You have a GOOD pitchman on the outside selling slum items. The usual 3 0r 4 pitch items During the pitch he encourages people to enter the shop. Ideally the shop doors should be open while this is going on. And the pitchman should work CONTINUALLY not like that daft set up that Houdini's had where some guy would do a svengali pitch twice an hour. The only snag to the above scheme is that you need a good pitchman and most magicians are crap at it.

There. I should send somebody or other a bill for the above advice.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 9th, 2022, 1:13 pm

Disney does not allow anyone to stand outside a shop and pitch items. The tawdry aspect aside, there are genuine pedestrian traffic problems all around the park and having a demonstrator standing in front of a shop that causes a crowd to gather would cause a pinch point.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » August 9th, 2022, 4:15 pm

It is amazing what can be negotiated especially if the shop is going to lose money. It is certainly worth asking. The worst that can happen is they can only say no. Furthermore there is entertainment value which can only be a good thing for Disney. The demonstrator should not use a microphone to keep Disney happy and in any event it is an extremely daft American method of grafting.

If that doesn't work there is another system that Corinda and Dick Chavel used to get people in their shop. A different kind of tawdry but it worked. They had a loudspeaker going on all day that passers by could hear advertising the shop. I can even remember some of the spiel.
"Come inside and see the Acrobatic Matchbox! It's weird, it's wonderful, it's one and sixpence!"

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 10th, 2022, 1:09 pm

Mark, you know nothing about how Disney operates. I do.

Diego

Postby Diego » August 10th, 2022, 2:40 pm

Regardless of how someone can build and turn a tip, the larger Disney corporate vision/criteria that RK knows, won't even allow any attractions/stores/concessions to be perceived as competing against each other from appearance. This is among the factors in previous amusement parks and carnivals that Disney did away with, for the experience he wanted for HIS guests.
I do remember at Wizardz in Universal City, for years they had different demonstrators who demonstrated inside the street-level store, without much excitement. In the last year Ray Pierce did continuous, animated demos with a mic whose speakers were in inside the street level store, loud enough so he could be heard having fun interactions with people, on the outside, (but not obnoxiously so), and could be seen from the open door, attracting passer-by who normally wouldn't have given the store front a glance. That was (now-gone) Wizardz at Universal....Disney may not even have allowed that, despite the entertainment value and no (direct) asking for sales.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » August 10th, 2022, 4:32 pm

Disney parks earn literally billions of dollars revenue from ticket sales and ANYTHING that diminishes the quality of the DISNEY experience people have paid for is shut down in an instant because even if something only dissuades 0.1% of customers from returning that represents millions of dollars lost revenue to Disney. The loss of rental revenue from the magic store leaving is insignificant (especially when Disney could drop one of its own merch outlets in the space) so if you want to have a store in a Disney park you obey their rules and don’t run a short term hustle to try and drum up a few dollars of business from compromising the bigger brand experience.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 10th, 2022, 8:44 pm

Mark, you have zero knowledge of a Disney park. They are not "amusement" parks, but "theme" parks. Everything is controlled down to the cracks in the bricks
Please do NOT bring up any experiences you may have had at any amusement parks--they have absolutely no bearing on this conversation.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » August 10th, 2022, 10:02 pm

Very well. I shall mind my own business. I do wish the new owners well but alas I fear they may not be operating in their area of expertise.

Anyway I shall let you into a little secret. Some decades ago I visited Disneyland in Florida and did have some business conversations with them.....................

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 10th, 2022, 10:34 pm

Before I forget (for Disney aficionados): there is still a hidden Mickey on the ceiling of the shop.

Randy Naviaux

Postby Randy Naviaux » August 11th, 2022, 11:39 am

I see my post was edited. Did I break a rule that I was unaware of?

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » August 11th, 2022, 11:53 am

Randy Naviaux wrote:I see my post was edited. Did I break a rule that I was unaware of?

You’re in good company - Richard edited his own post as well.

Randy Naviaux

Postby Randy Naviaux » August 11th, 2022, 11:53 am

I would imagine that traffic flow is very closely monitored throughout the whole park. It's been 15 years since I have been to Disneyland but if memory serves me right having a pitchman outside there could create a nightmare. The better the pitchman the greater the nightmare. Not unlike issues that can happen in other locations.

Randy Naviaux

Postby Randy Naviaux » August 11th, 2022, 11:54 am

Joe Lyons wrote:
Randy Naviaux wrote:I see my post was edited. Did I break a rule that I was unaware of?

Ahhh - I see that now. Thanks!

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » August 11th, 2022, 11:55 am

A bit like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted! We have all seen the edited bit! Or at least I have! I promise not to tell anyone but then I probably don't need to!

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » August 11th, 2022, 12:09 pm

Randy Naviaux wrote:I would imagine that traffic flow is very closely monitored throughout the whole park. It's been 15 years since I have been to Disneyland but if memory serves me right having a pitchman outside there could create a nightmare. The better the pitchman the greater the nightmare. Not unlike issues that can happen in other locations.

Oh, that sort of thing happens all the time and not just in theme parks! When I work everyone around me starts complaining! I have ways nowadays to smooth over that kind of thing and it happens far less than it used to. However, it also happens with management to a lesser degree. At exhibitions and trade shows they get upset if you block the aisles. However this is just a normal occupational hazard in the pitch business and is not really a big deal if you are an experienced pitchman. Oddly enough I have never had it happen in a theme park although I suppose it might be possible. Oh, and I HAVE worked in theme parks! I checked my individual venues on google to see if they were amusement parks or theme parks and google tells me that at least some of them were indeed theme parks! So there, na, na, nanana!

The key to being a great pitchman is to ignore rules and regulations and have no shame. To illustrate this very point I came across this recently on a magician's website and I had no idea it was there! Notice the "no shame" remark! (and yes, this took place in an amusement park rather than a theme park!)

"Later that summer, I also teamed up with another magician by the name of Mark Lewis. He was a fantastic pitch man who was able to sell magic decks of cards at various places. He hired me to work on solely commission at Centre Island selling a trick deck of cards. Having to take the bus, subway, street car & ferry boat daily which took about 2 hours each way didn’t stop me. I was not the greatest sales guy- I literally made about $50 a day. However, this experience during my high school days helped me greatly. Watching Mark selling magic was like an art form. He could literally sell these decks of cards to anyone and everyone. He had no shame and was a master pitch man. While I was looking for applause, he only cared about people buying his tricks. Gave me a good glimpse into the world of selling magic and helped me with my presentation skills."

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 11th, 2022, 12:14 pm

Randy Naviaux wrote:
Joe Lyons wrote:

Ahhh - I see that now. Thanks!

Those who can no longer be named asked me to remove all references to them.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 11th, 2022, 1:52 pm

Randy Naviaux wrote:I would imagine that traffic flow is very closely monitored throughout the whole park. It's been 15 years since I have been to Disneyland but if memory serves me right having a pitchman outside there could create a nightmare.

I concur. There is only one way a non-resort, non-VIP guest can enter the rest of the park, and that's by going down Main Street. The location of the magic shop (at the top of main street) is such that a crowd gathering outside there would be a disaster for the guest experience.

I can't help but wonder if traffic considerations also helped cause the demise of the Fantasyland street magicians one used to see years ago, as the park seems much more crowded now.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » August 11th, 2022, 3:11 pm

I can’t offer and specific answers here but as someone who has worked in resorts and parks across the world- non-branded entertainers have gone from almost every park on the planet. A minimum wage actor who has spent weeks or months training to play a specific character following a tightly defined character profile and performance that is usually little more than waving, posing for photos and reciting lines from a movie is a highly predictable guest experience and guest satisfaction score. A non branded, semi improvised entertainer following a loose show concept which could be completely different to the show played by a different entertainer the day before is a huge risk to the brand and overall guest experience. Quite simply it’s just not cost effective to have just a few freestyle performers (who are human and have off days) able to make or break the visit experience for a few thousand visitors which would represent $50m or more in revenue a year.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 11th, 2022, 4:40 pm

The magicians working in the magic shop on Main Street are not trained by Disney, though they may have to go through what little is left of the cast member orientation (used to be four days, now down to several hours).

Diego

Postby Diego » August 11th, 2022, 5:50 pm

The internet age we are in is all the more reason for Disney and other corporations to have carefully scripted, characters and other personnel, who are to enhance and protect the guests experience. What would have worked pitching on midways or elsewhere, (when the focus is also on the sale, rather than just a contribution to the experience) could look very bad, especially with a guest being even perceived as offended, that goes viral on the web. Recently a viral story/clip has gone around the world, when a child was said to have been ignored at the expense of others, as the Disney character paraded by, waving and shaking hands.
Another reason Disney overhauled what his guests would expect and experience, in comparison to local amusement parks.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 11th, 2022, 7:50 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The magicians working in the magic shop on Main Street are not trained by Disney, though they may have to go through what little is left of the cast member orientation (used to be four days, now down to several hours).

That's interesting---I remember going through "Disney University", which was quite the indoctrination ("We work while others play"). I also noticed they certainly loosened up the strict hairstyle and appearance guidelines from the old days.

Speaking of strolling performers: Does anyone know if Terry Ward is still performing at Disney Hollywood Studios in Orlando? I saw his website, but I was wondering if he's still performing there after the pandemic, especially in light of Mr. Moore's comments.

Diego: wasn't that incident that you referenced at Sesame place? https://www.inquirer.com/news/sesame-pl ... 20809.html

Diego

Postby Diego » August 12th, 2022, 12:42 am

Thank you for the correction. It was at that park, not Disney, but the lesson is still the same, why corporations won't risk anyone deviating from their larger vision and goals for the park.
I remember decades ago, going thru the initial audition/orientation for tour guides at Universal Studios,(Hollywood) and the then precise expectations of dress, strict adherence to format/script, the 300(!) page employee manual, all for a job that paid around minimum wage.
("But what, leave show business?!)

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » August 12th, 2022, 11:57 am

A friend who spends a lot of time in Orlando tells me that Disney, there, have stopped selling annual passes to the locals, which is causing a lot of anti-Disney sentiment in the Orlando area. Has the same happened in California?

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » August 12th, 2022, 12:04 pm

Diego wrote: ("But what, leave show business?!)

:D

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 12th, 2022, 1:20 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:A friend who spends a lot of time in Orlando tells me that Disney, there, have stopped selling annual passes to the locals, which is causing a lot of anti-Disney sentiment in the Orlando area. Has the same happened in California?

Hi, Q: They are still selling local resident tickets at Disneyland: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/offers ... t-tickets/
but access is limited.

They did cut off sales of the Magic Key passes: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/summe ... alifornia/ although a buddy of mine got one for his family members earlier this year.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 12th, 2022, 1:37 pm

There are currently NO sales of annual passes happening in either California, Orlando, or Tokyo. Only Walt Disney World is allowing renewals of existing annual passes. Walt Disney World is selling one new annual pass, "Disney Pixie Dust Pass," to Florida locals. It has an enormous number of blockout dates, AND there are many additional days when you won't be able to use it because park reservations (see next paragraph) will have run out.

The reason is a pending lawsuit. There are now two things required to visit a Disney park: both a ticket AND a "park reservation." The latter is a reservation you make in advance for a particular park on the day of your visit. This exists as a way of controlling the number of people in the parks, which were being clogged with annual passholders and creating an uncomfortable and dangerous situation. Each group of people (those staying offsite and buying a ticket; those staying onsite--in a Disney hotel and buying a ticket; those with existing annual passes) gets a different allotment of park reservations.

A group of people who bought the most expensive annual pass at The Disneyland Resort in California are suing because even though the pass was stated as having "no blackout dates" many of those people discovered that there were no park reservations available for days they wanted to visit. And so they are involved in a class-action suit. And I can see their point. You can't sell something with the promise that you can use it every day, any day, and then restrict the number of days it can be used.

California is much more of a local park, with many more locals visiting than out of state tourists. The park reservation system blocks many locals from spontaneously going to the Disney parks. It's exactly the opposite at Walt Disney World in Orlando, where the great majority of visitors are tourists and park reservations, dining reservations, and any damn type of reservation is either long gone in advance or gone within seconds of going on sale at 7 am day of.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 12th, 2022, 1:38 pm

erdnasephile wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:The magicians working in the magic shop on Main Street are not trained by Disney, though they may have to go through what little is left of the cast member orientation (used to be four days, now down to several hours).

That's interesting---I remember going through "Disney University", which was quite the indoctrination ("We work while others play"). I also noticed they certainly loosened up the strict hairstyle and appearance guidelines from the old days.

Speaking of strolling performers: Does anyone know if Terry Ward is still performing at Disney Hollywood Studios in Orlando? I saw his website, but I was wondering if he's still performing there after the pandemic, especially in light of Mr. Moore's comments.

Diego: wasn't that incident that you referenced at Sesame place? https://www.inquirer.com/news/sesame-pl ... 20809.html

All the citizens of Hollywood, including Terry Ward, were laid off when the parks closed during the pandemic. None of them were rehired. Terry's wife still works for the Walt Disney Company.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » August 12th, 2022, 1:49 pm

In the theme park I worked in the annual passholders never spent much money! I am not saying that is the reason Disney stopped doing it but you never know..........

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 13th, 2022, 6:23 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:All the citizens of Hollywood, including Terry Ward, were laid off when the parks closed during the pandemic. None of them were rehired. Terry's wife still works for the Walt Disney Company.

I'm really sorry to hear that. He'd been there for decades and is a great performer and a real pro.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 13th, 2022, 6:36 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:California is much more of a local park, with many more locals visiting than out of state tourists. The park reservation system blocks many locals from spontaneously going to the Disney parks. It's exactly the opposite at Walt Disney World in Orlando, where the great majority of visitors are tourists and park reservations, dining reservations, and any damn type of reservation is either long gone in advance or gone within seconds of going on sale at 7 am day of.

Yes, 100%--the reservation system at WDW is messed up and frustrating to navigate. At least at Disneyland, you can still buy Genie+ ahead of time and reserve some things so you don't have to do that 0700 rush. I think WDW added even more restrictions this Summer that makes things even worse https://www.kennythepirate.com/2022/06/ ... place-now/

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 13th, 2022, 10:51 am

Guest dissatisfaction with Genii + is enormous in WDW--people hate it. But people are also buying it, which makes the CEO Bob Cheap-ak look good. At the Disneyland Resort it's only slightly different than MaxPass, the previous for-pay digital FastPass service. It was a much easier transition out there, and fewer people are using it.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 13th, 2022, 11:32 am

"Cheap-ak" -- that's so true! People hate that dude!

This week he thinly hinted at a park price increase as well...

Chapek said, "We read demand. We have no plans right now in terms of what we’re going to do, but we operate with a surgical knife here,” Chapek said. “It’s all up to the consumer. If consumer demand keeps up, we’ll act accordingly. If we see a softening, which we don’t think we’re going to see, then we can act accordingly as well."

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt-dis ... demand.htm

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 13th, 2022, 3:53 pm

The share holders should "act accordingly" and throw that bastard out!

Return to “Buzz”