Merlin award scam - an article by Tom Stone

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Re: Merlin award scam - an article by Tom Stone

Postby BarryAllen » July 31st, 2022, 7:10 pm

You've not really addressed my main points relating to Hassini though Tom.

Is Hassini the only guy in Magic that has run a business selling the 'Magic Dream'? As mentioned, I can think of a raft of dealers/performers to this day, who continually sell products by using edited/untruthful demo clips; accompanied with less than honest descriptions.

What's the difference?

As for dishonesty and false claims on the internet. I have seen a stack of websites from Magicians who claim to be 'Award Winning' and/or use obviously fake testimonials from clients.

What's the difference?

Hassini has created a niche product - I perceive it to be a very unique and creative idea to be honest. I'd be quite happy getting my flights paid for Worldwide, stopovers in posh hotels and VIP treatment; in return for handing over a piece of tat! As I've said above, if people are stupid enough to want to buy in to it, then surely that's their choice - in the same way it was the personal decision of the recipients (yourself included) whether to accept the award or not.

As a matter of interest, did you ever send your award back to Hassini?

At the end of the day, here's a bloke that as a 16yo boy, had the guts to leave his country of birth and travel to London, then New York, to make his own way in life. Fair play to him - kids his age these days want everything handed to them on a plate. He's ducked and dived, used his brain - and his efforts have ensured that he's probably made a few quid. He's one of life's survivors - and I don't really get why you've gone in for such a character assassination against a 81yo bloke - who'll probably be pushing up the daisies in the not too distant future.

John 8:7: “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.”

Life's too bloody short mate!

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » July 31st, 2022, 8:37 pm

Congratulations Barry. You can download your Merlin here:

https://imgur.com/a/1WpIn7a

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2022, 8:54 pm

Good one, Tim.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » July 31st, 2022, 10:44 pm

It is true that everyone is not Mark Lewis. However, I do have reason to believe that I probably have more credibility than most to that claim.
I am delighted to hear the phrase "ducking and diving" since it is years since I last heard it. It is a very common phrase among British grafters and other assorted people who duck and dive. I shall translate the meaning of the phrase----it means survival. While I am translating for the benefit of innocent Americans who have led sheltered lives the word "grafters" has nothing to do with the strange Americanism "grifters". It actually means what Americans call "pitchmen" which really is a dreadfully silly word but alas there is nothing I can do about the matter at the present time.

I am greatly amused at Barry's rude remarks about the Penn and Teller show. I have no idea if his allegation is true or not but I am most indignant that he seems to be better at stirring up trouble than I am! With regards to Graham Jolley I must listen to that interview when I get a chance. I knew him when we were both young magicians. We both worked at a dreadful night club in London called the Blue Angel where I doubt very much if any of those FISM hotshots would have survived. I certainly didn't because the entire audience was drunk beyond human imagination. I described the place in my most worthy memoirs "The Lives of a Showman".

However, I was also in the club when I saw Graham perform. I am not sure if he was aware of my presence. He also died a horrible death (after all every entertainer there did) although I will concede he did better than me. However, he had one heckler whose name I have remembered 55 years later, mainly because he kept calling out to Graham for some reason beyond my recall, 'MY NAME IS OLIVER" and he repeated this remarkable statement many times. I expect Graham has forgotten the name of the heckler since he probably wanted to forget the entire show as soon as possible. I remember it though! I wonder what happened to Oliver!

Incidentally I am quite sure that both Barry and I will be delighted to accept an award from Hassini providing he realises that neither of us are daft enough to pay for it!

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » July 31st, 2022, 11:31 pm

BarryAllen wrote:You've not really addressed my main points relating to Hassini though Tom.

I can't really figure out what your main points are.

Out of around one hundred performers, Penn & Teller had problems scheduling one of them - eleven years ago. And due to that, you think that everyone should cheat and scam as many as possible? Sounds a bit non sequitur to me.

You want the world to know that you're masochistic enough to enjoy listening for hours to empty, ignorant and self-absorbed ramblings?

Yes, what is the difference? Every time I've seen dealers make a dishonestly edited demo, they have been called out and criticized. You seem to argue that Hassini should be treated differently, but does not give any reason why. I do understand that this is one of your main points, but I have no idea at all about how to address it.

I've also heard it be said that a lot of magicians have fake merits and testimonials on their websites. But when I check, I always find that it is very rare. At least in my part of the world. So the difference is that most others seem mostly honest, while basically everything at Hassinis site is untrue. If you go to any random magician's webpage who say they're open for bookings, it is a fair bet that they actually exist and actually are alive. While a lot of the people listed as "Merlin Officers" at Hassini's site have been dead for decades, or simply never existed in the first place. You might not care, but for most people I know, it makes a definite difference if the person you are corresponding with is dead or alive.

kids his age these days want everything handed to them on a plate.

It sounds like you don't know any kids in that age, because I don't recognize your description at all.

As a matter of interest, did you ever send your award back to Hassini?

No, why would I waste time on that?

I don't really get why you've gone in for such a character assassination

In what way is it an "assassination" to correctly describe someone? It is a character presentation, not a character assassination. Just look at your own reaction, finding his actions commendable and inspirational.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » August 1st, 2022, 3:23 am

Tim Ellis wrote:Congratulations Barry. You can download your Merlin here:

Brilliant! :lol:

BarryAllen

Postby BarryAllen » August 1st, 2022, 5:58 am

Tim Ellis wrote:Congratulations Barry. You can download your Merlin here:

I'll pass on that thanks Tim. :D

As I've already said a number of times, I consider ANY magic award to have the depth of a grain of sand.

The funniest thing about this entire episode though has to be the number of Magicians who are forever available to fall for the 3 Card Trick.

As the old saying goes "a fool and his money are easily parted".

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » August 1st, 2022, 8:16 am

I got the impression that a lot of them were not fooled but went along with the scam anyway for the perceived benefit it gave them. I do accept that some of the less worldly of them were indeed deceived.

Incidentally I went on a You Tube hunt for the Graham Jolley performance but couldn't find it. I will look again later. However, I got sidetracked by seeing a few videos of the show. It is quite a good show but my main objection to it is that everyone is so damned scripted as if they have learned every single word off by heart. Doesn't anyone talk like a normal human being on that show? If they are instructed to talk like that it is a major mistake. Magicians shouldn't talk like bloody robots.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » August 1st, 2022, 9:36 am

BarryAllen wrote:The funniest thing about this entire episode though has to be the number of Magicians who are forever available to fall for the 3 Card Trick.

As the old saying goes "a fool and his money are easily parted".

I can't trace where the humor comes in.
It seems you think that just because someone have decided to become a performer, it automatically makes them a legitimate and fair target for fraud. The idea that anyone would attempt to warn performers for the scam seem to make you more upset than the scam itself.

If this is how you yourself have been introduced to the life of a performer, if you've spent your life around those who desire to harm and cheat you, you should know that it is an aberration that is unique to you. Most other performers in the world have supportive colleagues. Trusting those who present themselves as friends doesn't mean you're a "fool", and it makes me a bit sad that you think so. What the hell happened to you, to turn out like this?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 1st, 2022, 9:38 am

"As I've already said a number of times, I consider ANY magic award to have the depth of a grain of sand."

You're entitled to your opinion, but I was really thrilled to get the award at FISM the other day. Your sweeping generalizations are meaningless.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

BarryAllen

Postby BarryAllen » August 1st, 2022, 12:42 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:"As I've already said a number of times, I consider ANY magic award to have the depth of a grain of sand."

You're entitled to your opinion, but I was really thrilled to get the award at FISM the other day. Your sweeping generalizations are meaningless.

With all due respect Richard, as you agree that we are entitled to have our own opinions on matters, then where's the rationale for subsequently insulting someone for simply expressing them?

You don't think much of Palm Reading; albeit I'm fascinated by it - moreso because audiences want this form of entertainment over magic tricks every time - and it pays the bills.

Meanwhile, you enjoy Card and Coin Magic - that's great. Personally, these days I find most card tricks make my eyes glaze over; whilst coin magic simply appears to me to be a demonstration of someone's manipulative skills.

Wouldn't it be a boring world for our audiences if we all performed Palm Reading and Mentalism; or if we all broke out the Cards and Coins at every sitting?

Take individuality away from people......and we then have a planet of brainwashed, programmed automatons.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » August 1st, 2022, 1:18 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:"As I've already said a number of times, I consider ANY magic award to have the depth of a grain of sand."

I am somewhat lukewarm about awards myself and I didn't know about this one. However, if it was for your literary and publishing efforts (as I imagine it must be) then I would actually applaud this one. It is very well deserved.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » August 1st, 2022, 1:48 pm

As for palm reading I am probably less enthusiastic than most concerning the subject on the basis of "familiarity breeds contempt". Besides it is dreadfully complicated and nothing to do with magic. However, I rather like this fellows work on the subject. His voice alone is terribly soothing and his accuracy quite wonderful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ZV8X22U_c

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » August 5th, 2022, 7:06 am

There's been a lot of changes on Hassini's site. Mostly deletions, but also a few changes.
The name of Max Toth, who died in 2011, have been changed to Max Roth.
As Vice Chairman, Max Toth have been replaced with the name Antonio Russell, who also is the President for U.K but doesn't have any contact info except an email address that Hassini manages.
Carol Michaud is now said to have carved the statue in 1964 instead of 1968. Not sure why... perhaps because that was the last year she had the name Michaud, as she married Hassini in 1965 and became Carole Emin.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » August 5th, 2022, 12:58 pm

Since letters have been signed with Max Toth's name even years after his death in 2011...(example)
... is it legal to forge someone else's signature like that?

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » August 5th, 2022, 7:38 pm

Tom Stone wrote:Since letters have been signed with Max Toth's name even years after his death in 2011...(example)

I used to do it when I sold magic books. I knew people would like their books autographed and of course it would be impractical to go hunting for the author so naturally I did it on their behalf. A win-win situation. The customer got the autograph and I got the money. Oh, and the author benefited too because the customer would treasure the book more. I do like to keep people happy.

BarryAllen

Postby BarryAllen » August 6th, 2022, 7:27 pm

Tarotist wrote:
Tom Stone wrote:Since letters have been signed with Max Toth's name even years after his death in 2011...(example)

I used to do it when I sold magic books. I knew people would like their books autographed and of course it would be impractical to go hunting for the author so naturally I did it on their behalf. A win-win situation. The customer got the autograph and I got the money. Oh, and the author benefited too because the customer would treasure the book more. I do like to keep people happy.

Our similarities here are somewhat scary Mark.

As I've probably bored people with before, as a young chap, I was not only working in but more or less running a Joke and Magic Shop in Greenwich, South London.

For those not aware, Greenwich is a popular tourist location in London - primarily due to 'The Cutty Sark' (fastest clipper ship), the Maritime Museum and the Greenwich Observatory. The Observatory is the place that has led the way for hundreds of years, given its expertise in all things Astrological; as well as being the epicentre for Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) - upon which the rest of the World adopts as its starting point for all things time-related.

Around 1979, as a 15yo lad, I was demming and selling the 'Paul Daniels Magic Range' - marketed via Dubreq. Along with the delivery of boxes of products, they would include a batch of Paul's promotional photos - postcard size. From memory, it was an orange-backed postcard with Paul wearing a white three piece suit - looking as if he'd dropped off the set of Saturday Night Fever.

These would sit in a hanging rack/display, along with postcards of Greenwich - take your pick - each postcard was 10p. However, for some reason, Paul's postcards never seemed to sell that well - possibly because he was not as well known as the tourist sites depicted upon the other postcards.

Sitting there bored one afternoon, I picked up a felt-tip pen (long before we even had these awful Sharpie things) and decided to copy Paul's signature, as per the Dubreq instructions, onto the cards.

Now I'm not for one moment saying that we could have subsequently floated the shop upon the London Stock Exchange BUT for some reason, the postcards started selling. Once I'd deemed Svens, Cups & Balls and Dynamic Coins, I'd say "for an extra 10p, grab a signed photo of the man that invented these miracles". Most people went for the con, which gave me an inner smile.

Similar to Mark, if the masses thought that they were getting Paul's authentic signature, then they would have been more than happy with the measly 'Two Bob' that they'd spent - and have gone home happy.

Nobody was harmed in the making of this despicable fraud - and I personally don't remember losing any sleep over it.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » August 6th, 2022, 10:51 pm

To make the similarities more scary I also sold the Dubreq range of Paul Daniels tricks. Unlike you however I did not forge Paul's signature!
I did some deal with Dubreq but it was so long ago I can't remember what it was. I do believe Dubreq were about to go out of business until they put out Paul's range of tricks which saved them from going broke for a decent while although I think they succumbed in the end.

What I found fascinating about selling his range of tricks was that it was a terrific market research way of finding out what the public thought of him. It was uncanny how consistent the results were. Obviously people would comment on him when they saw his name on the range of tricks. Here were my findings. Kids absolutely adored him, women detested him and men were fifty fifty about him. Some liked him and some didn't.

I got to know him a little through the years and at one point in Blackpool I operated a magic concession in his museum that he had there. In recent years he mentioned me on Twitter (in a good way!) and praised my work, particularly an interview which he said was "pure gold for magicians". Probably law of karma because I didn't forge his signature like a rather wicked contributor to this thread!

He was actually very down to earth and a very nice man. His TV work was fine but he really shone when performing before a live audience.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » November 13th, 2022, 2:46 am

Irish magician - Dylan Murray - seems to be collecting Merlins at a rate of knots including the Masters Series Masters Diploma as well as Doctor of Magic Degree Diploma ... who knew - fake degrees to go along with fake awards.

https://www.facebook.com/dylan.murray455

"The Greatest Moment Of My Lifetime"
I'm Honoured And Humbled To Offically Announce That Tonight In Dublin, I've Become The First And Only Person In Ireland's History To Be Awarded The Prestigious Merlin Award From The International Magicians Society In New York For A Second Time.
I've Been Awarded The Category Of
"The Best Close Up Magician Ireland"
Tonight I Stand On The Shoulders Of Legends And Indeed My Heroes In The Magic World With Recieving This Incredible Accolade.
I Can Also Announce That I've Offically Passed My Offical "MASTERS SERIES MASTERS DIPLOMA" Alongside My "Doctor Of Magic Degree Diploma" From The Magic Academy In New York. History Has Been Made! The Crown Jewel Of The I.M.S
A Very Special Thank You To The Board Of Directors And Especially To My Father In Magic Tony Hassini For His Friendship, Support, Kind Words And For Flying Over To Dublin For The Special Presentation.
Thank You Each And Everyone For The Support!
This Is Just The Beginning!
Dylan Murray ❤️

----------

"Announcement.
Tonight Has Been The Honour Of A Lifetime For Me In Recieving The Prestigious MERLIN AWARD "The Oscar Of Magic" Which Is The Highest Award That Can Be Attained In The World Of Magic, For The Area Of "Outstanding Storytelling And Magic In Ireland.
It Was Been Presented By The International Magicians Society In New York The Largest Magic Society In The World As Recorded In The Guinness World Records.
I Want To Thank The CEO Chairman Tony Hassini For Flying In To Scotland For The Special Presentation Tonight.
Thank You To All Members Apart Of The Board Of Directors From The I.M.S For Bestowing This Honour Upon Me.
I Have Become Only The Third Irish Person To Ever Recieve This Award And Now Becoming The Youngest In History.
I Have Also Graduated With My Official Doctor Of Magic Degree From The Magic Academy After My Successful Examination Becoming Only The Second Irish Person And The Youngest To Ever Receive It In Irish History It's Often Reffered As "The Crown Jewel Of The I.M.S
The Merlin Award Is Presented To Those Magicians Who Have Achieved The Highest Level In Their Craft, Both On The National And International Stage.
Past Winners Of The Merlin Award Include,
Paul Daniels, David Copperfield, David Blaine , Penn and Teller: Fool Us Harry Lorayne, Rene Lavand, Lennart Green, Shin Lim , Siegfried And Roy Ext....
To Join This Exclusive List Is Very Special!
I'm Honoured And Humbled By Recieving This International Acknowledgement.
The Criteria That The Voting Members Consider Are Talent, Showmanship, Originality, Skills, And Above All The Rare Ability To Entertain Under Any Conditions.
The Merlin Award Is To Magic What The Oscar Is To The Movies, What The Emmy Is For Television, And What The Tony Is For Theater.
Thank You For This Honour And This Moment.
This Is Only The Beginning. "

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » November 13th, 2022, 2:49 am

And in case anyone wanted to know what the much vaunted Doctor of Magic Diploma looks like:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=57 ... n__=%2CO*F

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 13th, 2022, 4:09 am

At the recent AMA Awards show, Charlie Frye started his Performing Fellowship acceptance speech with, "I'd like to that the Academy, the Hollywood Foreign Press, and Tony Hassini."

Pretty sure I laughed the loudest.

RobFromNZ

Postby RobFromNZ » November 13th, 2022, 4:11 am

There's a lot of capital letters in that Facebook post. I think having to officially say the award is official means it probably isn't official.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » November 13th, 2022, 6:54 am

Charlie Frye deserves a free Merlin for that speech ;-)

Return to “Buzz”