Disappearing Magic Cafe!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
MickNZ

Re: Disappearing Magic Cafe!

Postby MickNZ » July 5th, 2022, 8:41 am

I heard the reason it’s taking so long to migrate servers is that the only copy of the database exists on thirteen thousand floppy disks.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » July 5th, 2022, 9:56 am

Anybody who buys the explanation being offered needs to give their head a shake.
You don't have to be an IT expert to recognize that nothing "Gene" or Brooks is saying makes any sense whatsoever.

I do believe the Cafe will be back online at some point, possibly with Brooks at the helm, and possibly with somebody "new" in charge.

There's also that strong possibility (based on past Cafe "offline situations") that hundreds, or perhaps thousands of posts will be missing upon its reappearance ... but as the rather zero effort generator of a bit of cash that the Cafe is, it's too cushy of a way to continue to make a few bucks for Brooks, or make that same few bucks for a potential buyer.
Maybe Penguin should buy it.

Regardless, I doubt it will simply drop off the face of the earth, so for those comfortable with dishonest and bullying moderators, stand-by for its return sometime in 2022.

Andrewzuber

Postby Andrewzuber » July 5th, 2022, 7:26 pm

I don't know who hosts the Cafe site but they must be operating in the stone age. I built my first site with the help of an HTML book, using GeoCities in the late 90s, and even then I knew how to put up a page saying things were under construction. In 2022 I can't imagine what the dilemma is, but no site that operates with the help of advertising dollars should be down for this long without explanation. I get that it's run by volunteers, but site maintenance in this era should consist of making sure the automatic payment to the host company has cleared every month.

If they have the time to police threads and remove posts they don't like, they have the time to at least keep the thing functional on the most basic level.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » July 5th, 2022, 7:51 pm

If they ask me nicely I will use my metaphysical powers to restore their site in record time. In fact I will do it now. The site will be back up on Friday. You read it here first.......................

However, if they don't thank me profusely for using my powerful psychic energy for their benefit I will then become terribly cranky and use the power of my mind to bring the entire site down again. Beware.......................

Michael Rubinstein
Favorite Magician: Michael Rubinstein

Postby Michael Rubinstein » July 7th, 2022, 4:28 pm

As of 7/7, still down...

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 7th, 2022, 5:05 pm

Apparently the flux capacitor malfunctioned causing a rip in the space/time continuum--at least that's the consensus of several ignorant fools I consulted.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 7th, 2022, 5:07 pm

At this point I would speculate that either the entire thing has been corrupted, or they might not have the money to pay the bills.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » July 7th, 2022, 7:36 pm

I think it's likely #2 on your short list of speculations, with Brooks and his wife apparently quite unwell, and his now decades long claim that the Magic Cafe actually costs him money, as opposed to either paying for itself, or generating revenue.

I believe they do have a fairly robust back-up system in place though (courtesy of Gene) as they've always been able to recover from corruption issues in the past, albeit with a few hundred posts usually permanently vanishing into the ether.

I'm not sure that anybody is going to believe Brooks when he implies that the server has to be physically moved, as in unplugged and driven across town to be plugged back in again.
Traffic must be absolutely horrible, or the Magic Cafe would have been back up and operational days ago.

If I was guessing, I would say it's likely still going to be offline for a while, and if (when?) we see it online again, there's (IMO) a reasonable chance it could return under new ownership.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » July 7th, 2022, 7:52 pm

It isn't Friday yet. My psychic prediction was Friday. I know all, see all and will tell all!
www.marklewispsychic.com

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 7th, 2022, 9:43 pm

Keep in mind that the Genii forums uses the same software ( https://www.phpbb.com/ ) as these forums.

However, early on (20 years ago), Gene hacked that ancient code and added a bunch of stuff (I heard, including the ability for mods to read users private posts). So the code of the Cafe has never received many security/stability/etc. patches that are used by an up to date version (like this forum).

Since Gene was (I believe) actually hosting it, any major corruption, attack on its ancient security, improper backups, etc. could be disastrous in terms or losing a lot (or all) data.

For their sake, I hope that didn't happen, but when you're running ancient, non-updated forums code on basically your friends server, it's a potential recipe for disaster.

MickNZ

Postby MickNZ » July 8th, 2022, 6:24 am

Tarotist wrote:It isn't Friday yet. My psychic prediction was Friday. I know all, see all and will tell all!

Maybe you should stick to the Svengali deck.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » July 8th, 2022, 7:21 am

Tarotist wrote:If they ask me nicely I will use my metaphysical powers to restore their site in record time. In fact I will do it now. The site will be back up on Friday. You read it here first.......................

However, if they don't thank me profusely for using my powerful psychic energy for their benefit I will then become terribly cranky and use the power of my mind to bring the entire site down again. Beware.......................

If your psychic powers let you down, perhaps Uri Geller could be persuaded.

Or even better, Doctor Who. His Sonic Screwdriver should be able to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow with no trouble.

Problem Solved.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » July 8th, 2022, 7:46 am

MickNZ wrote:
Tarotist wrote:It isn't Friday yet. My psychic prediction was Friday. I know all, see all and will tell all!

Maybe you should stick to the Svengali deck.

What a good idea! It can be purchased right here!

https://www.lybrary.com/the-long-and-th ... 23527.html

eddie1

Postby eddie1 » July 8th, 2022, 4:07 pm

ETA is sometime tomorrow according to Gene on Facebook.

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » July 9th, 2022, 3:07 am

http://www.marklewispsychic.com

Sigh. Why Mark is still allowed to post snide, useless, commentary, I do not know.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 9th, 2022, 6:26 am

I enjoy Mark's comments. He has a singular voice and that is to be appreciated, regardless of the content.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » July 9th, 2022, 9:47 am

eddie1 wrote:ETA is sometime tomorrow according to Gene on Facebook.

Ah, so Mark can claim "Off By One!"

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » July 9th, 2022, 10:02 am

I’ve received more value from Mark’s posts than the entirety of the cafe. Then again, the cafe tends to ban a anyone who has any thought that isn’t completely in line with what their advertisers want.

The cafe is a far greater deterrent to the advancement of magic than it will ever be a contributor. It exists to sell products to people who fantasize about being magicians, to allow Steve Brooks to pretend he’s relevant in the world or magic, and to give Dave some sense of power and reason to believe he isn’t a complete waste of the world’s resources.

It is an illusion perpetrated on the ignorant and vulnerable by the ignorant and self serving. .

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » July 9th, 2022, 10:49 am

Brad Henderson wrote:I’ve received more value from Mark’s posts than the entirety of the cafe. Then again, the cafe tends to ban a anyone who has any thought that isn’t completely in line with what their advertisers want.

Far be it from me boost Mark's gentle low-level ego, but I agree.

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » July 9th, 2022, 10:54 am

Bob Farmer wrote:I enjoy Mark's comments. He has a singular voice and that is to be appreciated, regardless of the content.

Totally agree. And he's so self-effacing with it.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » July 9th, 2022, 11:06 am

The two best threads on the Cafe are kind of buried: Dan Harlan's brilliant equivoque thread where he does an equivoque in "real time" in the thread with cafe posters; and Tomas Bloomberg's terrific coincidence card trick which is contained within an esoteric probability thread.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » July 9th, 2022, 8:03 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:

Ah, so Mark can claim "Off By One!"

Not off at all. It still isn't Friday. (I didn't say WHICH Friday)

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » July 9th, 2022, 10:14 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:The two best threads on the Cafe are kind of buried: Dan Harlan's brilliant equivoque thread where he does an equivoque in "real time" in the thread with cafe posters; and Tomas Bloomberg's terrific coincidence card trick which is contained within an esoteric probability thread.

There's also a great Leo Boudreau thread, and a wealth of special-topic bibliographies by user Lawrence O.

In (far) less concentrated form, there's a massive pile of storytelling and advice from Bob Cassidy. It kinda feels to me like Bob's brain lives in a jar there, preserved in green HTML.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » July 10th, 2022, 1:09 am

These statements are fabrications, not to be believed.

Best to just presume it's offline for good, and then be somewhat surprised when it suddenly shows back up as if nothing unusual has occurred.

Although what Brad posted above is unfortunately an overriding element of this entire affair ... perhaps nothing of any real value is lost if the Magic Cafe simply stayed in its current slumber permanently?

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » July 10th, 2022, 2:11 am

Brad Henderson wrote:I’ve received more value from Mark’s posts than the entirety of the cafe. Then again, the cafe tends to ban a anyone who has any thought that isn’t completely in line with what their advertisers want.

The cafe is a far greater deterrent to the advancement of magic than it will ever be a contributor. It exists to sell products to people who fantasize about being magicians, to allow Steve Brooks to pretend he’s relevant in the world or magic, and to give Dave some sense of power and reason to believe he isn’t a complete waste of the world’s resources.

It is an illusion perpetrated on the ignorant and vulnerable by the ignorant and self serving. .

I learned long ago that to save any content in the MC one must do screenshots. Because if it's anything remotely interesting, it will be deleted.

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » July 10th, 2022, 2:13 am

Jack Shalom wrote:The two best threads on the Cafe are kind of buried: Dan Harlan's brilliant equivoque thread where he does an equivoque in "real time" in the thread with cafe posters; and Tomas Bloomberg's terrific coincidence card trick which is contained within an esoteric probability thread.

I would LOVE to read that equivoque thread. The best tutoring I've had in it was from a lecture by Eugene Burger. The lecture was, literally, so amazing that magi who paid to sit in, exposed to the modus, literally did not see it coming when it was demonstrated. That was decades ago but I believe the response was "wait, what!?"

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » July 10th, 2022, 3:57 am

Robert77 wrote:I would LOVE to read that equivoque thread. The best tutoring I've had in it was from a lecture by Eugene Burger. The lecture was, literally, so amazing that magi who paid to sit in, exposed to the modus, literally did not see it coming when it was demonstrated. That was decades ago but I believe the response was "wait, what!?"

In Final Secrets by Larry Hass, Eugene details his equivoque handlings, complete with multiple video takes. 90% of Eugene's work on the subject, comes from Max Maven who is fully credited in the book.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » July 10th, 2022, 11:59 pm

Robert77 wrote:

I would LOVE to read that equivoque thread.

If the cafe ever comes back, it's in the old monthly special guest section IIRC.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » July 11th, 2022, 9:12 am

Apparently Brooks hasn't been too sick to indulge his "other" occupation as an aspiring political cartoonist (yes, it's really Brooks):
https://www.thejerx.com/blog/2022/7/10/ ... old-friend

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » July 11th, 2022, 10:19 am

Wowser. Anyone remember Wally Wood's cartoon in Paul Krassner's The Realist circa 1967 or so?

Brian Douglas
Favorite Magician: Max Maven

Postby Brian Douglas » July 11th, 2022, 10:57 am

Roger M. wrote:Apparently Brooks hasn't been too sick to indulge his "other" occupation as an aspiring political cartoonist (yes, it's really Brooks):
https://www.thejerx.com/blog/2022/7/10/ ... old-friend

Wow, who knew Brooks could pull George Babbitt out of a hat!

Brian Douglas

Postby Brian Douglas » July 11th, 2022, 12:30 pm

Wow... if you go to his instagram page it gets far worse.

Ironically, if someone else posted something like these on the Big Green they would be instantly banned.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » July 11th, 2022, 12:45 pm

Is it really him or is this some kind of big joke? I don't know about the sentiments but the drawings are really good.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » July 11th, 2022, 12:53 pm

Explains a lot about the disrespectful and miserable moderation of the Cafe.

Can you imagine the ignorant, abusive mindset that would allow for the creation of these dozens of un-funny, and fundamentally distasteful cartoons?

Political cartoons are intended to have an "edge" by design ... but Brooks efforts are just plain garbage.

I don't believe that those are "drawings" as much as they're assemblies from a cartooning app that does all the artwork for you.
https://www.animatron.com/studio/politi ... toon-maker
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/comic-str ... 1227190400

Brian Douglas

Postby Brian Douglas » July 11th, 2022, 1:07 pm

Roger M. wrote:
I don't believe that those are "drawings" as much as they're assemblies from a cartooning app that does all the artwork for you.
https://www.animatron.com/studio/politi ... toon-maker
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/comic-str ... 1227190400
\

Yeah, I thought the same when I saw it. If I didn't have a lifetime ban on the Big Green I would challenge him to an animation standoff.

They are angry, static, Kool-Aid drinkin' ragetoons. The most uncomfortable realization is when you see he has over 400 followers.

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » July 11th, 2022, 4:21 pm

Is the Magic Café Silk Sizing Chart available anywhere else?

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » July 11th, 2022, 10:55 pm

Alack and alas I am getting a second psychic vibe that my first psychic vibe was wrong. I have a horrible feeling that the magic cafe has actually gone for good. I first started this thread rather a long time ago. Maybe it really has gone for ever and ever and ever. It looks that way anyway...................

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 11th, 2022, 11:53 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:Anyone remember Wally Wood's cartoon in Paul Krassner's The Realist circa 1967 or so?

You mean this?

Brian Ekins

Postby Brian Ekins » July 12th, 2022, 12:22 am

Here's a link to Dan Harlan's equivoque discussion.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050322170 ... 18571feccd

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Postby katterfelt0 » July 12th, 2022, 8:30 am

Thank you for that, Brian. It's really nice to watch Dan work.
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

Return to “Buzz”