Blaine teaches magic

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Blaine teaches magic

Postby CraigMitchell » April 18th, 2022, 1:08 pm

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Re: Blaine teaches magic

Postby Tarotist » April 19th, 2022, 12:05 am

I wish him luck with it but yet I yearn for the old days when secrets were harder to come by. Because of my millions of Tic Tok views (around 21 million on one video, 14 million on a second and 2 million on a third) I am getting a lot of requests for lessons. I turn them all down. There are enough bad magicians in the world without inflicting any more.

I am astonished and dismayed to find how many laymen seem to know the secrets of magic tricks nowadays. They know the names of the tricks and the names of the sleights and what they do, how they work even thought they can't do them themselves. The internet might not kill magic off but it will certainly put it in the hospital. And what is most astonishing is that so called "magicians" don't seem to care any more. They used to yell and scream about the masked magician and other exposures which are nowhere near as harmful as all this disgusting internet exposure. Nowadays you don't hear a peep out of the IBM, the SAM or the Magic Circle about it. Or anybody here if I remember rightly the last time it was discussed.

I have never been an anti exposure fanatic in the past but I am beginning to get that way now. I read in the John Scarne magic book when I was a kid that the secret of a trick was like a precious diamond and should be guarded with great care. I took this very seriously. The very first thing a magician learns is NEVER TELL HOW A TRICK IS DONE. That core magic principle has been diluted beyond measure with magic camps, internet exposure, ease of purchasing magic on the internet and God knows what else including crappy magicians even though that problem has always been there.

Orson Welles once wrote that once the secrets of magic become widespread magic will begin to die. It is coming true and Welles is a better psychic predictor than I am. I don't want magic to be "popular". The less people doing it (and destroying it at the same time) the better.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 19th, 2022, 12:28 pm

Michael Weber is certainly displeased. While his initial "tweet" on Twitter was vague, going through the thread, there is little doubt with whom he is displeased.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » April 19th, 2022, 12:30 pm

Is there a link to his tweet?

DennisLisi
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby DennisLisi » April 19th, 2022, 12:51 pm

I wouldn't say I disagree with you, Mark. But I actually think that Magic needs a good challenge to overcome. And "exposure' could be that challenge.

It forces inventors to stay ahead of the game. And "information overload" has its benefits. It tends to cause confusion, rather than enlightenment. Too many possible ways of making a coin disappear can befuddle the spectator. So he or she may never know exactly how it was done.

You could conceivably do an old-fashioned trick that fools the audience, because it was not done The Modern Way (which is the only way that most people care about).

In short--deception is easier, the more your audience knows. They become distracted by all the alternatives. Think of it as a great opportunity for misdirection.

Whether they believe they know how a trick is done, or wonder which way it is done, you can always find a different method.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » April 19th, 2022, 1:04 pm

I am terribly old fashioned and I believe the less the bastards know the better. Anyway, this is what Orson Welles had to say on the matter.

http://wellesnet.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=308

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » April 19th, 2022, 1:20 pm

Tarotist wrote:Is there a link to his tweet?

Oh, never mind! I have found the thread...........

Anyway, I quite like David Blaine. In fact after seeing one or two of his videos I suspect he is using some of my ideas. That does show good judgement. I do feel my unease mollified somewhat that he is charging enough money to scare away those people who are not serious about magic. I wish it was more than "somewhat" but that will have to do for the moment.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 19th, 2022, 1:47 pm

We don't know the content of David's course yet, so it's premature to say much about it other than 1. it looks intriguing, 2. it doesn't look intriguing.
Also, the course costs $200! That price will keep the casually curious away.
This is no different than buying a magic set with a DVD or link to videos in the box.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 19th, 2022, 2:20 pm

Tarotist wrote:Is there a link to his tweet?

His Twitter page is https://twitter.com/mwisme

There have been subsequent tweets, including today. But the initial one was "One of the top names in magic just made magic not special." The most amusing (to me) is "The world’s first and second oldest professions just merged." There's also a vague reference to Ricky Jay among his thoughts on this. I'm enjoying the conversation. Kinda makes me think about Barbra Streisand. What's the fastest way to attract attention to something you want to keep hidden? Talk about it publicly.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » April 19th, 2022, 2:48 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:We don't know the content of David's course yet, so it's premature to say much about it other than 1. it looks intriguing, 2. it doesn't look intriguing.
Also, the course costs $200! That price will keep the casually curious away.
This is no different than buying a magic set with a DVD or link to videos in the box.

This is true. I think I can live with it. Mind you I didn't realise magic sets are given away with DVDs or horror of horrors links to videos. I am not sure if I should be agitated by this or not. I am afraid I live in a different time warp.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » April 19th, 2022, 4:37 pm

Magicians have been complaining about exposure since magic was invented so on that front I have no specific concerns for the art. However hidden in Mikes tweets is one of the most astute observations I’ve ever seen about magicians https://twitter.com/mwisme/status/15150 ... 8A0vrAsJpw
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Peter Ross
Favorite Magician: Doug Henning

Postby Peter Ross » April 19th, 2022, 4:42 pm

With all due respect to Michael Weber (and I do mean respect), I think it’s unfair to dump on David Blaine like he’s doing. Of all the “top names in magic,” Blaine has to be the most mysterious and mind-blowing in the eyes of the public. He has people wondering what’s real and what isn’t more than any other performer, including Derren Brown or even Uri Geller.
To compare Blaine’s $200 magic class to whoring himself out is simply overblown, distasteful, and frankly, disrespectful.

Weber highlighted this quote from the Twitter conversation as nailing his point:

“you generate interest in the art of magic by performing it (!!) and letting the interested seek their own path in”

I’ve heard this sentiment expressed before and I have to ask, “What is the correct and most respectful way to do this in the eyes of the magic gatekeepers, such as they are?” I sincerely would like to know. If you’re young, should you go to Tannen’s magic camp? I’m assuming books are the most acceptable/respected means to “seek your path” so, which ones, and how to obtain them? Should the seeker avoid any and all books released to the general public? Should the seeker avoid magic classes marketed to the general public as well? What are the rules, because if Blaine’s $200 class is considered distasteful and only for the “curious” rather than for those with “intent” then that’s news to me.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 19th, 2022, 5:06 pm

Peter Ross wrote:Should the seeker avoid any and all books released to the general public? Should the seeker avoid magic classes marketed to the general public as well? What are the rules ...

In my callow youth, I used to think that "for public" books were bad. Magic for Dummies set me off for a minute or two. But then I realized that my first "real" magic book, Magicians Magic by Paul Curry, was written for the public. And it contains "Out of This World"! Modern Magic, now considered a classic, was written for the public, as were its follow-up volumes. Greater Magic was released as a five-volume set for libraries. The Amateur Magician's Handbook is an indispensable volume in any magician's library. It was written for the public. One of my heroes, Bruce Elliott, wrote several excellent books for the public. Mark Wilson's Course in Magic is another. Harry Lorayne wrote an outstanding book for the public. So did Richard Kaufman. The list goes on. So yes, what are the rules?

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » April 19th, 2022, 7:20 pm

I have utterly no problem with any kind of exposure such as books or magic dealers. People have to learn somewhere and the odds are that curiosity seekers will forget the secret anyway. I sell svengali decks for goodness sakes!. However, the internet is a red line for me. I see it all the time with acne ridden teenagers commenting under videos saying "he uses a double lift". They shouldn't even know what a double lift is in the first place! They are not magicians--they are merely laymen who know how the tricks are done! And it is the ignoring of the problem that is bothering me. None of you seem to care! I suppose that is because you didn't devote your lives to magic like I did.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » April 19th, 2022, 7:28 pm

Tom Moore wrote:Magicians have been complaining about exposure since magic was invented so on that front I have no specific concerns for the art. However hidden in Mikes tweets is one of the most astute observations I’ve ever seen about magicians https://twitter.com/mwisme/status/15150 ... 8A0vrAsJpw

Of course they have been complaining about exposure since magic was invented but I never did. However, I am complaining NOW. Give secrets away by any method you like but keep it off the bloody internet!

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » April 19th, 2022, 7:29 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:
Peter Ross wrote:Should the seeker avoid any and all books released to the general public? Should the seeker avoid magic classes marketed to the general public as well? What are the rules ...

In my callow youth, I used to think that "for public" books were bad. Magic for Dummies set me off for a minute or two. But then I realized that my first "real" magic book, Magicians Magic by Paul Curry, was written for the public. And it contains "Out of This World"! Modern Magic, now considered a classic, was written for the public, as were its follow-up volumes. Greater Magic was released as a five-volume set for libraries. The Amateur Magician's Handbook is an indispensable volume in any magician's library. It was written for the public. One of my heroes, Bruce Elliott, wrote several excellent books for the public. Mark Wilson's Course in Magic is another. Harry Lorayne wrote an outstanding book for the public. So did Richard Kaufman. The list goes on. So yes, what are the rules?

There is only one rule. Keep the secrets off the damn internet!

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » April 19th, 2022, 7:41 pm

I agree with Mark.

YouTube/Google exposure of magic secrets is the biggest problem facing magic right now. In fact, a criticism I have of GENII magazine is that they have yet to cover this issue. Back in the day - MAGIC magazine had a cover story addressing a similar issue (The Masked Magician).

It should be the only topic that magicians are discussing.

Good luck putting a cigarette through a quarter or a coin in a bottle.

Those tricks are dead now.

I have figured out a way forward that works for me. But it involves a total reinvention of what we mean by "magic".

The rest of you are gonna' have to find your own way out of this mess. In fact, I think it could even be a good thing in the longer term since it is going to force magicians to approach magic in a radically different way.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » April 20th, 2022, 11:15 am

I have no doubt that anyone interested in card tricks will want to lookup those taught by Blaine. I hope they don’t end up easily accessible on the “secondary market.”

Whatever the results may be, if it sells it will accomplish the primary motive of the author, as he needs the money.

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Postby katterfelt0 » April 20th, 2022, 12:35 pm

PickaCard wrote: Whatever the results may be, if it sells it will accomplish the primary motive of the author, as he needs the money.

I don't know why, but that sounds vaguely familiar. :)
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » April 20th, 2022, 1:42 pm

katterfelt0 wrote:
PickaCard wrote: Whatever the results may be, if it sells it will accomplish the primary motive of the author, as he needs the money.

I don't know why, but that sounds vaguely familiar. :)

Erdnase may have needed the money but I am surprised that Blaine does. In fact it was the first thing that struck me. Still, that's showbusiness. It is like a game of snakes and ladders. Up one minute and down the next.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 20th, 2022, 1:56 pm

I don't think it's money. I think it's staying "out there." Being in the public eye. Staying relevant. Whatever you want to call it.
It's what stars do.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » April 20th, 2022, 2:39 pm

Ah! In that case I eagerly wait until Madonna starts to give singing lessons!

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » April 20th, 2022, 2:47 pm

Tarotist wrote:Ah! In that case I eagerly wait until Madonna starts to give singing lessons!

Mark, no doubt you could ring up a few more million TikTok views with your rendition of "Like a Virgin".

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » April 20th, 2022, 2:47 pm

I have given this some thought… I think I will sign up for these lessons. I have been into magic for more than 30 years and all the masters on my book shelves have always shared a respect for magic and that each trick needs to be given the respect it deserves by me giving each routine practice and rehearsal. To this day I do not have 30 effects that are performance ready. But that is about to change.

“Take what you learn and immediately blow the minds of your friends, your family, or any audience.”

No one has heard of any of the masters on my shelves but everyone knows Blaine. I have been mislead all this time.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » April 20th, 2022, 7:13 pm

Joe Lyons wrote:
Tarotist wrote:Ah! In that case I eagerly wait until Madonna starts to give singing lessons!

Mark, no doubt you could ring up a few more million TikTok views with your rendition of "Like a Virgin".

If I did that it would be the end of both my singing career and magic career....................

No. I think I will stick to card tricks but thanks for the thought.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » April 20th, 2022, 8:46 pm

I guess Michael has never sold secrets for money...

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » April 20th, 2022, 8:55 pm

What caught my eye on Weber’s tweets was the book co-authored by John Northern Hilliard. That was new to me. Would make for good summer reading.

DennisLisi

Postby DennisLisi » April 20th, 2022, 9:13 pm

Looking at the list of topics covered in this proposed thirty-part series, it is clear that ninety percent of it is The Basics. I mean, seriously! He's going to teach you about The Magician's Choice?

This is a commercial venture, aimed not at serious magicians, but fans. Awestruck amateurs who want to know how he does it.

$199 is a lot of money, but it works out to less than $7 per day. I figure you'll get what you pay for. But how much will it be worth to you?

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » April 20th, 2022, 9:22 pm

Was there this much outrage when Penn and Teller did their Masterclass? I know there was when they exposed the cups and balls.

Peace, Joe

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » April 20th, 2022, 10:24 pm

DennisLisi wrote: ... Awestruck amateurs who want to know how he does it.
Is there any trick that David Blaine has ever performed, that you cannot easily find an explanation of how it was done,
somewhere on the internet?

DennisLisi

Postby DennisLisi » April 20th, 2022, 10:38 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:
Is there any trick that David Blaine has ever performed, that you cannot easily find an explanation of how it was done,

I know that, and you know that. But do they know that?

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » April 20th, 2022, 11:10 pm

If they pay for it they will get far more out of it than if they get it for free on the internet. Fact of life. When people pay nothing they put a nothing value on it. They might, just might make an effort to learn the stuff properly if they pay for it. In any event I doubt very much if they will learn the real secret of magic which is the presentation of it. In fact although many experienced "magicians" pay lip service to the concept they don't actually follow it. They put the trick first and the entertainment second which is the wrong way round. That is what these students will do simply because they don't know any better.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » April 21st, 2022, 1:23 pm

I wonder what the over-under would be for the number of participants.
500?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 21st, 2022, 2:14 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:

Obviously you have not watched Blaine recently. He is doing sophisticated work with cards.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » April 21st, 2022, 2:29 pm

I think regurgitating live frogs and sewing your mouth shut is in Tarbell.

Return to “Buzz”