Better Communicators = Better Performers

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Eric DeCamps

Better Communicators = Better Performers

Postby Eric DeCamps » March 29th, 2022, 4:28 pm

I have a lot of friends who perform. Most of them perform magic. If there is one thing I know about magicians it is that we can all use improvement with our communication skills. Magicians let’s be honest, if you cannot engage an audience with good communication skills, an audience will not invest their time to stay and experience what you have to offer as a magic performer. Good magic will always be lost without the use of good communication abilities. Step in Celeste DeCamps, in an interview with Authority Magazine that was published yesterday, she gives five great ideas on how to be a better communicator. I recommend that you to spend the few minutes and read what she has to say, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

To read the article and view the video click below:
https://medium.com/authority-magazine/celeste-decamps-of-empowerment-through-movement-and-authentic-voice-on-the-5-things-you-need-to-be-321ca8a50b55

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Better Communicators = Better Performers

Postby Q. Kumber » March 29th, 2022, 8:02 pm

The Mae West story is of particular interest. Far too many of us, regardless of our profession, assume that our audiences know what we are talking about.

Two examples. Jeffrey Lant gave a talk and referenced Elizabethan literature. Later he discovered that over half the audience did not know what he was talking about. He realised that in future he needed to put it into context (it refers to literature in the reign of Queen Elizabeth 1 (1558 - 1603).

Bobby Bernard told me about him complaining to Val Andrews about a lecture he, Bobby, had given. Someone asked how he had forced the card. Bobby said, "A Svengali deck." Came the reply, "What's a Svengali deck?" Val's response was that you can't assume anything. On the other hand you can't appear patronising, so you say, "And for the one person who isn't familiar with the Svengali deck, this is what it does."

This is especially true nowadays as many have come into magic through YouTube and can be very proficient and dexterous at what they have learnt but have zero knowledge of anything beyond that. It is sheer joy to show these folk tricks involving principles with which they are unfamiliar as they are even more fooled than lay folk. Recently in a session with some magicians not that long into magic, between them they knew four versions of Out of This World, including the original handling. I asked if they were familiar with the U.F. Grant version from a shuffled deck. They weren't and I did it with one of their decks. The reactions were stronger than I've ever gotten from a lay person. Completely stunned.

Eric, I have gone off on a tangent from your sister's main points, all of which are very important and please thank her - and thank you for sharing it.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » March 29th, 2022, 9:14 pm

After reading through some of the 5000 comments on my Tik Tok video I get the impression that around half the entire world knows what the svengali deck is!

As for the UF Grant Out Of This World you can find it in Harry Loraynes "My Favourite Card Tricks" on page 23. He calls it the "Impromptu Out Of This World" but I do recognise it as the UF Grant method which I have been doing for decades. I do know a couple of touches that I have never seen described anywhere which speeds up the action somewhat.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » March 30th, 2022, 8:56 am

Q. Kumber wrote:
Eric, I have gone off on a tangent from your sister's main points, all of which are very important and please thank her - and thank you for sharing it.

Q.Kumber,

Thank you for taking the time to read the article. I hope more of our Genii Forum members will take the time and do the same.

I do need to make something perfectly clear; Celeste is NOT my sister. While it is completely reasonable to assume that a smart, cultured, and beautiful woman like Celeste would be attracted to someone of my questionable appearance and personality, in actuality Celeste… drum roll… is my wife. I just wanted to make sure that is crystal clear. How that happened is still a mystery to me.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 30th, 2022, 1:27 pm

Who is her magician brother?

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Postby katterfelt0 » March 30th, 2022, 2:10 pm

Eric,

That's a wonderful article. It's something that can be applied not just to my magic, but to pretty much all facets of my life.
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » March 30th, 2022, 5:45 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Who is her magician brother?

Hi Bill,

Zach Waldman is Celeste's brother. He lives in LA and is a full time pro.

Eric

mrmagik68
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby mrmagik68 » April 10th, 2022, 8:29 pm

Hello Eric!

I hope you are well. Thank you for posting this. This actually hit home for me, as a person who has suffered from a fear of public speaking for most of my life. It's even affected me when performing magic for others. I'm currently taking steps towards overcoming this fear and have recently joined Toastmasters.

The breathing exercises and body posture that Celeste mentioned in the article are things that I've just recently learned and I'm putting into practice. They are helping immensely! Great article! I'd love to learn more about her work, especially the workshop she mentioned in May. Thanks again and be well!

Best,
Roberto

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » April 19th, 2022, 5:05 pm

mrmagik68 wrote:Hello Eric!
The breathing exercises and body posture that Celeste mentioned in the article are things that I've just recently learned and I'm putting into practice. They are helping immensely! Great article! I'd love to learn more about her work, especially the workshop she mentioned in May. Thanks again and be well!
Best,
Roberto

Hi Roberto!

Sorry for the delay in responding. I am so pleased you enjoyed and got value from Celeste’s article. I wish more of our brethren would realize the importance of what she wrote about and how it applies to our performances.

Here’s the info on the workshop that she and her business partner, Michele Marshall, are presenting:

Date: Saturday May 21, 2022
Time: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm.
Location: Sparta Ave Stage, 10 N. Sparta Ave. Sparta, NJ 07871
Price: $ 45.00 and a light lunch will be served.

For more info and to register go to https://spartastage.com/upcoming-events.html

Hope to see you there Roberto. I hope I see a few others from the Genii Forum too.

Eric DeCamps

mrmagik68
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby mrmagik68 » April 19th, 2022, 8:28 pm

Eric,

I'm all registered! Looking forward to this!

Best,
Roberto

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » May 16th, 2022, 8:10 pm

If your a magician, and who isn’t, then you need to seriously consider updating your communication skills. It doesn’t matter how many years you’ve been performing. We can always use a refresher in our skills. I know I do and that’s why I’ll be at this workshop this coming Saturday at the Sparta Avenue Stage. I know it’s going to help me be a better communicator and performer!

Return to “Buzz”