Richard Bartram, Jr.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
JHostler

Richard Bartram, Jr.

Postby JHostler » January 17th, 2022, 9:30 am

Always fascinated by the ebb and flow of creative, talented individuals into and out of magic, I find myself wondering about Richard Bartram. His books were an absolute hoot, blazing with contagious literary, artistic, and magical inspiration. While perhaps not as popular, his stuff stirred my creative juices in much the same way as Paul Harris. Yet it's now been 25 years since Trephine, and nearly three decades since Mystification.

Anyone know if he's still active? Creating?
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Re: Richard Bartram, Jr.

Postby Leo Garet » January 17th, 2022, 1:33 pm

Is this the chap who had a strip cartoon in one of his books with a character who wished he had the hands of Nelson Downs? His wish was granted with interesting results.

If it is I haven't heard of him in years either. And if it isn't...... Oh well :) .

JHostler

Postby JHostler » January 17th, 2022, 3:57 pm

Not that I'm aware, but I don't own his first book. Doesn't sound out of character!
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » January 17th, 2022, 4:40 pm

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » January 18th, 2022, 6:07 am

Yep. That's the one. Thanks.

The gag is that that the "hands Of Nelson Downs" are hands that have been underground and decaying for years. A bit macabre perhaps, but the drawings make it funny. Well, I thought so.

rbartram
Favorite Magician: too many to list

Postby rbartram » January 20th, 2022, 10:03 pm

I'm still alive, but not very active or creative.

Return to “Buzz”