Want to Join The Magic Castle/AMA?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Want to Join The Magic Castle/AMA?

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 27th, 2021, 11:48 am

I have always been of the opinion that every serious magician. whether a professional or hobbyist (and in between), should be a member of the Academy of Magical Arts. Though it has been a decade since the last time, multiple times over these many years I have proposed this to the Board of Directors. It has always fallen on deaf ears. (I did, in fact, get the non-resident structure changed to mileage from the building versus by county when I showed that there were "Non-resident Members" who were closer to The Magic Castle than many Resident Members.)

The solution I had was a new member level that would have very low dues, but also very low benefits. Only one or two "free" visits per year, non-voting, etc., but they would be able to say they are a "member of the Academy" and hand out guest passes.

Well, while that could still happen in the future, it's going to be very expensive to become a Magician Member of the Academy of Magical Arts given the new 2022 dues structure that was just announced.

Current member dues are going up, which was expected. Resident Members will pay $900 annually, and a new monthly payment option has been instituted, which might help people with budgeting (and it’s interest-free versus paying it via a credit card). But under the revised dues structure just announced, a new Magician Member in 2022 will pay twice that amount. Plus they will need to pony up a $2500 initiation fee (so the first year's dues for a new member will be $4300.)

Needless to say, this has raised something of a hubbub among some members. The feeling is that the new structure is pricing out many magicians.

As far as other private clubs go, the AMA/Magic Castle is a bargain, price-wise. But the Castle is unique in that its membership demographics are not just those who are financially well off. The range goes from the very wealthy to the poverty level. The only common denominator has been magic; that's how the founders wanted it.

I honestly don't know what the answer is. The reality of the economics of The Magic Castle are above my pay grade. I just know how it looks, and it doesn't look all that good.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Re: Want to Join The Magic Castle/AMA?

Postby Joe Lyons » November 27th, 2021, 4:20 pm

I understand and agree with the sentiment, Dustin.

It would be great if there were enough impetus (online content perhaps?) that the cost/benefit ratio of a reduced rate membership would enable those of us over a thousand miles away to enjoy the cachet and occasional perks while helping to ensure the Castle thrives for a long time.

Until then the ability to visit gained through SAM/IBM membership, a subscription to Genii or a stay at the Magic Castle Hotel is much appreciated.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 27th, 2021, 6:40 pm

I read Steve Bryant's Little Egypt Gazette regularly, and am always envious when he talks about the online perks he enjoys as a member in the midwest. If there were a "supporting membership" that allowed access to some of these that was priced at a lower level, I'd consider it strongly (and the same applies to the Magic Circle).

I'm no wiser than Dustin on the economics of the club, but I'd suppose that the greatest part of the budget of the AMA/Castle is associated with keeping the building running and staffed. If a magician (like myself) lives 2000 miles away, it's hard to justify paying for a membership in which most of the cost goes to a benefit one can't enjoy.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 27th, 2021, 10:12 pm

Joe Lyons wrote:...
Until then the ability to visit gained through SAM/IBM membership, a subscription to Genii or a stay at the Magic Castle Hotel is much appreciated.

Perhaps Richard can clarify, but I seem to remember reading something (from him) that a subscription to Genii no longer offers visits to the castle.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » November 27th, 2021, 10:38 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:

Perhaps Richard can clarify, but I seem to remember reading something (from him) that a subscription to Genii no longer offers visits to the castle.

The offer is on page 69 of my digital subscription.

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » November 27th, 2021, 11:55 pm

I have dreamed of being a member since my first visit in the 1970’s. Auditioned once several years ago and was close but no cigar or wand in this case. $4000+ is beyond my means with a daughter in collage and life’s expenses in California where I spent 40% of my income on rent for a condo and to enjoy the pollution and traffic and nearly $5 a gallon gas etc of this wonderful metropolis. At this price the dream is dead. Would a reduced benefit with once monthly visit privileges be a way in. I would certainly consider it. It’s a matter of if I want to be in a club that would have me. :lol:

Peace , Joe

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 28th, 2021, 2:16 am

Joe Lyons wrote:
Chris Aguilar wrote:

The offer is on page 69 of my digital subscription.

I hope that's still correct. I seem to recall Richard offering guest passes on Facebook specifically because the Genii sub route was no longer a thing.

Hope I'm wrong about that, but can't check since I've subsequently (and very happily!) permanently "un-friended" Facebook.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 28th, 2021, 1:16 pm

Genii subscribers can visit once a year. You call the Castle and make a reservation, telling them you are a Genii subscriber. They they contact us to verify the fact.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 28th, 2021, 3:46 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Genii subscribers can visit once a year. You call the Castle and make a reservation, telling them you are a Genii subscriber. They they contact us to verify the fact.
Great to hear that.

Return to “Buzz”