Joshua Jay Lecture NYC tonight, 10/1

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Herb

Joshua Jay Lecture NYC tonight, 10/1

Postby Herb » October 1st, 2021, 8:20 am

Hi Folks,

Joshua Jay has a great (new) lecture planned for tonight, 10/1, in New York (presented by Parent Assembly of the S.A.M.) Details are at the following link. $20 tickets can be purchased at the door. Proof of vaccine required.

http://magicsampa1.com/joshua-jay-lecture/

We hope to see you there.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Re: Joshua Jay Lecture NYC tonight, 10/1

Postby Tarotist » October 1st, 2021, 2:39 pm

Oddly enough I am reading his new book as we speak.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » October 1st, 2021, 4:15 pm

Hmm... about as odd as choosing a force card when offered...

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » October 1st, 2021, 8:38 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:Hmm... about as odd as choosing a force card when offered...

I wasn't "forced" to purchase this book. In fact there were other magic books surrounding it vying for my attention. No. I purchased it of my own free choice after browsing through it. It had no tricks which always appeals to me. I have utterly no interest in tricks since I have enough already.

I purchased it because it was intelligently written which of course is always a good thing. However, that wasn't the main reason I bought it. On cursorily leafing through it for a few minutes I realised that the author loved magic with all his heart. Such dedication deserves my money.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » October 1st, 2021, 11:58 pm

What I meant was that Josh is lecturing hand in glove with a publicity promotion for his book that's taking him across the nation. That's why it's not much of a coincidence that they should both be in your awareness at the same time.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » October 2nd, 2021, 9:17 pm

First, I have never been aware of any publicity promotion or even the fact he has written a book. And quite frankly even if I did know it would have made no difference and in fact discouraged me from even looking at it. I saw it on a bookshelf among other books at a magic shop, browsed through it and decided to buy it. I don't agree with everything in it but that of course is because I was performing before the author was even born and have a different outlook on things. I was not overly comfortable with some profanity in the book. Magic is a wholesome and beautiful art which should not be tainted with vulgarity. I also was a little queasy with the, albeit minor, exposures in the book. I did get a psychic vibe from the book that Joshua does a lot of performing for magicians. Hopefully, he will get away from that eventually. It tends to warp the thinking.

Still, despite these minor quibbles overall the book was reasonably good. I will give it 7 out of 10.

Return to “Buzz”