Looking for article from MAGIC magazine

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Looking for article from MAGIC magazine

Postby Joe Mckay » August 16th, 2021, 10:48 am

I remember an article in MAGIC magazine. I think it was from around 1999. It was about a novel idea of putting on formal shows in people's living rooms. The magician would be hired by the guest and then the living room would become their performing space.

The guest would then invite friends and families to attend.

This is a model I am curious to explore some more. So, I am just wondering if anyone knows the exact reference to the article?

I will update this thread if I stumble across it myself.

Thanks!
Last edited by Joe Mckay on August 16th, 2021, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Re: Looking for article from MAGIC magazine

Postby Joe Mckay » August 16th, 2021, 10:53 am

Okay - that was fast.

I found it.

The article was 'Avant-Gatherings' in the September, 1999 issue of MAGIC.

It was written by David Avadon.

The November, 1999 issue of MAGIC had a letter discussing possible legal problems with this concept.

And the prompted a guest editoral by David Avadon in the January 2000 issue of MAGIC magazine in response.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » August 16th, 2021, 4:48 pm

I have actually done a couple of these kind of events at the home of the well known jazz singer, Holly Cole on two separate occasions. I rather like the format. It seemed to go over very well anyway.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 17th, 2021, 3:24 am

There is a festival known as the "VoorkamerFest" where all performances take place in people's homes ...

http://www.voorkamerfest-darling.co.za/ ... kamerfest/

"The Voorkamerfest is a festival like no other … where the theatre productions are performed in resident’s homes. Intimate performances welcoming performers and audience …

Each year the village comes together and 21 home owners throughout Darling volunteer their homes to host the theatre production – a warm Darling welcome awaits you… this being the charm and secret ingredient of The Voorkamerfest – the coming together and sharing of live theatre performances under the umbrella of the arts!

The mechanics of the festival is equally astounding! You never know which productions you will see until you have arrived! Seven routes host three acts that you will see at random – transported in true South African style by local taxis"

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » August 17th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:Okay - that was fast.
The November, 1999 issue of MAGIC had a letter discussing possible legal problems with this concept.

There are possible/potential legal problems with virtually every concept if people want to find them.

House "parties" have been the staple diet of UK children's entertainers since forever. Our great friend Covid has put a damper on this (among other things :)) but it will restore itself eventually. In some fashion. Probably.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » August 17th, 2021, 3:54 pm

Leo Garet wrote:
Joe Mckay wrote:Okay - that was fast.

There are possible/potential legal problems with virtually every concept if people want to find them.

House "parties" have been the staple diet of UK children's entertainers since forever. Our great friend Covid has put a damper on this (among other things :)) but it will restore itself eventually. In some fashion. Probably.

Kid shows in living rooms go on all the time in North America too you know! However, private house shows for adults are far less common although I have done a tiny few. But what on earth are the "legal ramifications"? I suppose you could do the hot book and accidentally set fire to the furniture and I certainly wouldn't recommend the bullet catch trick in a private house. I do know of a local performer who did that awful mentalism hand stabbing trick in a private home and his blood made rather a mess on the carpet. Instead of comforting the poor chap because of his incompetence they threatened to sue him for causing emotional distress to members of the audience.

Perhaps that was the kind of legal ramifications referred to. I think the best solution is to stick to card tricks.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 17th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Marian Call has done a number of "house concerts", which is the musical equivalent. See here for her FAQ on the subject.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » August 17th, 2021, 9:13 pm

I saw the master musician David Amram at a friend's living room concert. Really a nice way to do things.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » August 18th, 2021, 6:47 am

Tarotist wrote:Kid shows in living rooms go on all the time in North America too you know!

I never said otherwise! :D

I mentioned the UK simply because it's where I live and I know a l(very) little bit about such gigs.

I recall reading in a music magazine about 15 years that several musicians had started doing this. Not all were acoustic-style. Some were band-based, but for various reasons were giving house parties a solo go. Good fun and well paid seemed to be the general verdict.

I haven't seen mention of such events lately, but they probably still go on. At least pre-covid.

It was an interesting article, but at the same time comical. The author seemed unaware of house party performers in general.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » August 18th, 2021, 7:59 am

I've performed at dozens of house parties as a storyteller with nary a problem and only a simple agreement as contract. In my experience, you simply have to be clear up front about both party's expectations. Either the parties meet those expectations or not. In those few instances when the host - or hostess - has failed to meet their end, I have explained to them that conditions are far less conducive than discussed, but that I will do my best to deliver as promised and expect full payment.

Return to “Buzz”