Frame's First Interview

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Frame's First Interview

Postby Tom Frame » August 2nd, 2021, 10:09 am

At the age of 61, I participated in my first published interview. I discuss my life, the intersection of magic and psychology and my ongoing study of the non-toxic, non-addictive, transformative compounds known as psychedelics.

I’ve never before described the losses and The Incident that determined the course of my pursuits. It felt good. I’m pleased with the interview.

I’ve received much positive feedback from the medical, psychology and psychedelic communities. But none from magicians. I’ve vacillated for several months whether or not to share it with you.

But my wife is away for a week. I’m home alone, feeling lonely and seeking connection.

So here is the link:

https://psychedelictimes.com/magician-t ... tom-frame/

If the Chief wants to delete this post, I understand.

If you don’t feel comfortable responding to this post, I understand. Just send me an email at tomframe1@comcast.net

I’d love to hear your thoughts and feelings.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Re: Frame's First Interview

Postby Dave Le Fevre » August 2nd, 2021, 11:08 am

The jaw-dropping question for me is wondering what sort of person thinks that it's ok to give sweets laced with LSD to a nine-year-old. I cannot conceive of anybody who's even vaguely human doing so.

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » August 2nd, 2021, 2:41 pm

Dave,

The person who dosed me didn't think it was okay. They knowingly engaged in a twisted, malicious act.

To benefit from the magical, transformative effects of psychedelics, you choose to use them, maybe a few times a year, in a safe setting, with specific intent in mind. Dosing a kid, or anyone with psychedelics without their consent is reprehensible and sadistic. The victim can experience profound anxiety and terror, because they don't know what's wrong with them.

As a therapist, looking back, my perpetrator's behavior would easily satisfy criteria for Anti-Social Personality Disorder.

Part of me hates them for causing me to endure that temporary trauma.

Part of me thanks them for opening my eyes.

Krenz
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder and Juan Tamariz

Postby Krenz » August 2nd, 2021, 4:31 pm

They knowingly engaged in a twisted, malicious act

Being dosed is traumatic.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 2nd, 2021, 5:03 pm

Fascinating. Sorry to hear you went through that, Tom.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » August 2nd, 2021, 9:36 pm

Thanks guys!

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » August 2nd, 2021, 10:03 pm

And lest we forget, the CIA paid John Mulholland to instruct the agency how to covertly dose unwitting citizens with psychedelics. And they did so on a considerable scale, with predictable, unfortunate results.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

When it comes to magic, presentation is everything.

When it comes to psychedelics, set, setting and intent are everything.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 3rd, 2021, 8:51 am

Thanks Tom, much respect.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » August 3rd, 2021, 9:32 am

Jon,

Thanks for your thanks! Much respect back to you for your journey and your contributions to our beloved passion!

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » August 3rd, 2021, 10:09 am

I'm amazed and delighted by the positive input that I've received (primarily private) from my "scandalous" post. Thanks again.

One kind gentleman asked how I dealt with the trauma.

Here is my response.

"We all experience trauma during our lives. How we process the trauma determines if we are going to let it traumatized us or not.

"I focused on the positive aspects of the experience, not the temporary terror or the perpetrator. I became fascinated with the mind. I knew that there was a hidden, wondrous, magical realm within me, and all of us, that lies just below the surface of what we collectively call reality. Somehow, I chose to let that awareness empower and inspire me, instead of frightening and psychologically crippling me."

To paraphrase the Bard, " There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking [and feeling] makes it so."

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » August 21st, 2021, 12:21 pm

I picked-up 2 books at the local thrift store a while back by Michael Pollan and Oliver Sacks that were great reads on this topic. They have a bit of Gonzo journalism in that they describe thier own subjective first-hand accounts of the experience. Then they turn to the science to make sense of what, where, when, and how.

How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence by Michael Pollan

--------

Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks

--------

Books on cognitive science also seem like another good place to look into that directly relates to magic as well.

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » August 21st, 2021, 6:42 pm

Hi Edward,

Thanks for your feedback. Both of the books that you cited are mandatory reading reading for anyone interested in this field.

I also highly recommend Dr. Carl Hart's recent, outstanding, conceptually game-changing book, Drug Use for Grown-Ups. He's a professor of psychology and a neuroscientist at Columbia University and he has conducted government-approved, controlled, empirically-sound research to support his ostensibly heretical thesis.

Buy it, read it, live it!

Return to “Buzz”