Congrats on the July 2021 GENII cover

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Congrats on the July 2021 GENII cover

Postby Joe Mckay » July 9th, 2021, 8:12 am

I really like the latest cover of GENII magazine! It highlights an article by David Regal on how to prepare for a TV appearance. (I am assuming this since I haven't read the issue yet.)

It creates more variety when the cover is not continually a publicity shot for whichever magician is profiled that month.

It reminds me of MAGIC magazine back in the 90's. They would often feature covers that focused on interesting articles or questions that were being addressed that month.

It can feel a bit too similar to The Linking Ring (and every other magic magazine ever) when the cover simply consists of a photo of a magician smiling for the camera.

I love the fresh feel.

More covers please that make the magazine feel timely and relevant. GENII is the best magazine in the history of magic and it would be great to see more covers that focus on articles/news/interesting topics as opposed to simply a publicity shot of a magician.

Also - I find most magician profiles get a bit boring and samey after awhile. It would be nice to restict magician profiles to those with an interesting back story or who are truly noteworthy in some ways. Don't foget most magicians have the exact same "origins" story - most magicians have very similar stories about their early days in magic.

I think the goal for magic magazines should be to drive forward the conversation. And not simply record or reflect back the current goings on in magic. One of my favourite covers (and issues) of GENII magazine was the one featuring the cover story on the "Too Perfect Theory".

One other thing. If you bring in a regular interview column (like MAGIC magazine had in the 90's) it means you can provide regular interviews with interesting magicians without having to have those interviews take place as part of lengthy magazine profiles. It means you can still have similar content without the magazine itself having to be dominated by magazine profiles. That might provide extra felxibility going forward.

Return to “Buzz”