Maybe this time? Jasper Maskelyne film.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Stokes

Maybe this time? Jasper Maskelyne film.

Postby Richard Stokes » April 8th, 2021, 3:38 pm

Colin Trevorrow To Direct Benedict Cumberbatch In Studiocanal’s ‘War Magician’
EXCLUSIVE: Fresh from wrapping Jurassic World: Dominion, Colin Trevorrow is set to direct War Magician, a Studiocanal WWII drama that will star Benedict Cumberbatch. E. Nicholas Mariani is writing the script, based on the book by David Fisher.

Pic is based on the wild story of Jasper Maskelyne, a British illusionist who used magic to defeat Erwin Rommel in World War II. Trevorrow’s take features an international “magic gang” from Africa, Europe and the Middle East who conspired with Maskelyne and a female military intelligence officer to defeat the Nazis.

DEADLINE MARCH 16 2021

Richard Stokes

Re: Maybe this time? Jasper Maskelyne film.

Postby Richard Stokes » April 8th, 2021, 3:43 pm

I really think it's time for me to publish my own extensive research on what really happened. Any magic publishers out there who can assist me in this project, feel free to contact me.
Best to contact me on the following email:
novotnycurse@gmail.com

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » April 9th, 2021, 8:38 am

When I was working on The Truman Show back in ‘96-‘97, Peter Weir and I started talking magic between takes one day. He’d asked what I was planning to do after the film wrapped and I’d said I was a magician and wished to pursue that, as well as filmmaking. He told me he’d never much taken any interest in magic until just recently when he’d seen this new kid, David Blaine (Blaine’s first tv special, Street Magic, had just recently aired) and he mentioned he was considering a film based on the story of a magician.

Not long after Truman was released in ‘98, it was announced that Weir would be directing The War Magician, but that all collapsed when he discovered the story was essentially bunk. He lost interest when it turned out to not be true.

Richard Stokes

Postby Richard Stokes » April 9th, 2021, 2:17 pm

In 2004 Alistair Maskelyne informed me that Peter Weir, the film director, had taped an interview with him in Australia. Alistair then gave him an earlier copy of my research. Peter Weir rang him back to say he was withdrawing from the War Magician film. According to Alistair, Weir said he could not make a film that he did not believe in. Weir praised my research and said it came closest to the truth about Jasper Maskelyne. I have a copy of Weir's letter to Alistair in my files.
Some years later at the Blackpool Convention, Richard Kaufman spotted me on a staircase taking a break from the crowd. Among other things, we both expressed puzzlement that Weir had just made The Way Back which appears to be based on a semi-fictional story!

Return to “Buzz”