Question about ethics

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Question about ethics

Postby Joe Mckay » April 7th, 2021, 6:48 am

Is it okay to perform an unpublished trick by a magician who is no longer alive?

There is a Ricky Jay trick I really like (one of his more obscure ones) - and I was wondering what the ethics would be around performing a trick inspired by the presentation used in that trick? He had an ingenious presentational hook for one of his gambling demos that really tickles me.

I will probably reframe the trick so that it becomes a small tribute piece as I discuss Ricky's impact on magic.

I am just curious what the ethics are around these issues? Do these issues change once a performer dies? Don't forget - a lot of Ricky's magic was a tribute to great (and dead) performers from the past. So - it seemes appropriate that I should be raising a similar question about Ricky's magic.

Also - do the ethics change again should I ever perform the trick in a professional setting?

Joe Mckay

Re: Question about ethics

Postby Joe Mckay » April 7th, 2021, 6:55 am

I think the above is an interesting question. But I guess for me - I am probably leaning towards not doing this. My vision for art is one based on being as original as possible. So - this type of trick would not fit with that vision.

I am still interested in what others think though? This must be a question as old as magic itself.

Dr. Solka
Favorite Magician: Willis Dysart, Willem Bouman, Werner Miller, James Solberg, Jan Forster

Postby Dr. Solka » April 7th, 2021, 8:24 am

The question is about your ethics. After all, others can't tell who the inventor was because the trick is unpublished.

You are honored that you think about it and do not simply appropriate the authorship.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 7th, 2021, 10:30 am

Chopin is no longer alive but his music is still performed.

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » April 7th, 2021, 10:38 am

Joe,

You might be in for a surprise, but not every unique routine you saw came 100% from that performer, story and method.
Ricky, for example, would collaborate with Persi Diaconis, Steve Freeman, Johnny Thompson, Jim Steinmeyer, David Roth and Michael Weber, all who would share themes, ideas, occasionally entire tricks. It is a slippery slope and one best avoided.
With so much available, why take what is not yours?

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » April 7th, 2021, 10:39 am

British comedian Stewart Lee has his own take on the ethics issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YE9Kthyaco

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » April 7th, 2021, 10:45 am

He is my favourite comedian!

Yeah - I am going to leave the Ricky Jay trick alone.

Return to “Buzz”