David Bowie - Magic Trick (via Fax)

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

David Bowie - Magic Trick (via Fax)

Postby Joe Mckay » March 9th, 2021, 9:04 pm

Here is a story of David Bowie doing a mindreading trick via fax for Laurie Anderson.

https://youtu.be/-pkFZFS_KOc?t=2818

I wonder if it was taken from Ben Harris's book?

Apparently David Bowie was also a very serious coin magician. So, it seems like he branched out into mentalism as well.

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Re: David Bowie - Magic Trick (via Fax)

Postby Travis » March 10th, 2021, 5:23 am

I’d love to know the full story on this. Was a David doing a trick? If so, that’s rad! Or was he just being David Bowie and trying something he found fascinating.
Her memory of the event is surely faulty, and likely to put David in a favorable light, but that doesn’t mean I consider it a less than genuine experience. I’m sure she was amazed and did have a very personal experience. I’ve also no doubt this story has been embellished over the years.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » March 10th, 2021, 9:46 am

Oh Superman!

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » March 10th, 2021, 10:18 am

I had no idea that Bowie was into magic. How cool! I tracked down this post from Mark Chandaue on the Magic Café. Wow!

“What many do not know is that David Bowie was a very accomplished coin magician. I spent around 45 minutes with Bowie in the early 80s showing each other coin tricks and he was highly skilled. I didn't realize at first that it was Bowie and due to his high level of skill, I assumed he looked so familiar because I'd met him at a convention or the circle. He was also a really genuinely nice guy.

“After he was walking away, having purchased something (can't remember what he bought but it would have been some prop or gimmick as this was in the Hamley's magic department back when they had a professional magic dept). One of the guys from another department came running over freaking out asking me about Bowie. I looked at the credit card slip which was in the name David Jones and the penny dropped.

“Not recognizing him was probably a good thing, had I recognized him he probably would have bought what he wanted and left within 5 minutes. Hopefully he enjoyed being taken seriously as a magician rather than simply being Bowie. He deserved to be taken seriously, he was more than a casual coin man, he was using edge grips, Goshman pinches, Gallo pitches and the like. I would rate his skills back then as advanced.”

Return to “Buzz”