Pop Culture Mark Wilson reference

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Hatch

Pop Culture Mark Wilson reference

Postby Richard Hatch » February 28th, 2021, 12:55 am

In the new Netflix movie, "One Night in Miami", about a meeting in 1964 of NFL star Jim Brown, singer Sam Cooke, preacher Malcom X and the future Muhammad Ali (then still Cassius Clay), in the first few minutes a night club owner/booker at the Copacabana Nightclub in New York tells Sam Cooke's manager that they could/should have booked Mark Wilson instead. Yep, our Mark Wilson, as he immediately says "the magician" and references "The Magic Land of Allakazam"!

Diego

Re: Pop Culture Mark Wilson reference

Postby Diego » February 28th, 2021, 1:18 pm

Do they use the name Jules Podell? Haven't seen the movie but I presume the manager is being sarcastic as I'm not sure if the Copa
ever booked a non-music act...certainly not as the featured/name act/attraction...and Mark may have been regarded as primarly a children's performer at the time. (Even though for many of us, he was THE performer of his time.)

P.S. I am fortunate to have gone to The Copa when it WAS the The Copa, with it's name acts, great food, incredible service, class atmosphere...everything first rate. Shortly afterwards, like the Barry Manilow song, it became a disco, the top spot for the famous and infamous to see and be seen at, gone.

Richard Hatch

Re: Pop Culture Mark Wilson reference

Postby Richard Hatch » February 28th, 2021, 11:19 pm

Correction: This movie is on Amazon, not Netflix. I don’t recall hearing the name James Podell.

Return to “Buzz”