Here's Johnny (Carney) on the December Issue of Genii

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Here's Johnny (Carney) on the December Issue of Genii

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 20th, 2020, 1:41 pm

If you subscribe to Genii for as low as $35 (http://www.geniimagazine.com), this is what you’ll get this month!

On our cover this month is the inestimable John Carney, the winner of more awards from The Academy of Magical Arts than any other magician. He is well deserving of the accolades. We have been friends for over 40 years, and he was good from the get-go and is even better now. He makes everything looks so easy and natural—it drives me crazy. He has a new book coming out which, if it sells like his others, will be out of print within a year. Order it the day it goes on sale to ensure you receive a copy. Chloe Olewitz digs deep into the mind of Carney.

Our columnists this month include Libby Ward, who reports on the dining program at The Magic Castle (good thing they have warm weather year round); “Cardopolis” (and David Britland has started a free newsletter to which you should subscribe at https://cardopolis.substack.com), “Conjuring,” “Chamber of Secrets,” “Artifices,” “Magicana,” “Expert at the Kid’s Table,” “Exhumations,” “The Eye,” and reviews by David Regal, Francis Menotti, and Ryan Matney.

You will also get online access to every Genii issue all the way back to 1936 and every issue of MAGIC magazine.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Re: Here's Johnny (Carney) on the December Issue of Genii

Postby Ted M » November 20th, 2020, 9:21 pm

Genii online and in my mailbox on the same day!

Chris Randal2
Favorite Magician: Vito Lupo, Lance Burton, and Double Vision

Postby Chris Randal2 » November 24th, 2020, 5:45 am

When is the new book released?

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » November 24th, 2020, 5:48 am

Can someone explain the cover shot to me I don’t get it. John isn’t a comedian and is the tie running from his lack of comedy skills or him? I’m not trying to be rude I genuinely don’t understand the cover shot. I’m probably stupid and need it explained to me.

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » November 24th, 2020, 6:10 am

FYI I am the biggest John Carney fan ever I just honestly don’t understand the cover. Maybe the reason he doesn’t know comedy is he isn’t looking at the book. Just saying

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » November 24th, 2020, 9:52 am

Chris Randal2 wrote:FYI I am the biggest John Carney fan ever I just honestly don’t understand the cover. Maybe the reason he doesn’t know comedy is he isn’t looking at the book. Just saying

I can't see that there's anything to understand or not understand. For me it's just a photograph. I recognised John Carney and the book and spotted the tie. But I didn't linger.

Perhaps Mister Carney has decided it's time to become a comedian as a sideline, or make Magic the sideline, and he's looking for up-to-the minute topical material.

Who knows? But on a truly deep and meaningful level....maybe he's having a bit of a giggle.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » November 24th, 2020, 9:59 am

Chris Randal2 wrote:John isn’t a comedian

https://youtu.be/LdxMAjKNRAw

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » November 24th, 2020, 9:17 pm

I’m not saying John and Mysto isn’t funny. I genuinely just didn’t get the idea of the photo. John is my ultimate hero he scares me worse than anybody I was genuinely wanting someone to explain the photo to me like maybe I was missing something. John is without a doubt the best sleight hand artist on the planet And my favorite magician so I was excited to see him on the cover. I just didn’t get it as I said it’s probably just me I’m not the smartest guy I was just wondering if it was a joke I wasn’t getting.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 25th, 2020, 3:51 am

For lots of funny things, either you get it or you don't, and explanations don't help much. However . . .

John Carney is funny, from the best sort of way. He has a character that is amusing, and his magic puts his character into funny situations. (I'm talking about his "straight" act, not Mr. Mysto) Plus, well-done magic often inherently has humor in it -- the suprises of magic are analagous to the suprises of humor, and you tend to have a similar response (characterized by laughter, chuckling, etc.) to them.

The photo shows John reading a book on how to be funny, which is not something an authentically funny person would need to do. Also, he's wearing the gag tie, which is ostensibly "funny". Jokes from books tend to be of the lowest common denominator, as is the physical prop.

So you have the contrast of the base humor being overtly depicted, as opposed to the more sophisticated humor that John inherently has. The joke of the photo is the contrast between the two levels of funny. It would be like if George Carlin got Carrot Top to help with his act.

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » November 25th, 2020, 6:20 am

Thank you sir

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » November 25th, 2020, 9:05 am

The magic word is levity.
I see it as a very clever book test and play on words. John is the master of the light-hearted approach. Looking forward to the new book.

https://carneymagic.com/product/sleights-and-insights/

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » November 25th, 2020, 10:02 am

Well, it just goes to show.

And here's me thinking I'd nailed it when I said:

"Who knows? But on a truly deep and meaningful level....maybe he's having a bit of a giggle".

Hey ho.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 6th, 2020, 11:09 am

The order form for John's upcoming book has a place for a coupon code. Is one available? (My wife asks, as she does her Christmas shopping.)

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » December 6th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Incidentally the book in the photo is well worth tracking down.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 8th, 2021, 11:04 pm

Has Sleights and Insights shipped yet? Does anyone have a copy in hand?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 9th, 2021, 10:03 am

Not yet. But I know it's at the printer.

John Carney

Postby John Carney » March 27th, 2021, 11:03 pm

Hi Folks.....just now seeing this post.

I sent emails with updates to those that pre-ordered, but maybe the rest of you want to know.
There were many frustrating delays with the printing. Then once they left the printer in Michigan, they were in transit to California, when they somehow managed to lose 3 pallets of books!

Then, months ago, I ordered special boxes, to protect the books during shipping. They were coming from China in a huge shipment from my supplier. These were held up in customs, and now they still are held up in a long line of shipments to go out. They still haven’t arrived!

Instead of waiting any longer, I turned the orders over to a fulfillment house, to get them out faster…..I have hundreds of orders to process, pack, and ship....... believe me, I am very eager to get them out…. It’s a big job..... I'm about halfway through the back orders.

Richard knows the pain of the self publisher/distributor. The last 20 years of his life ended up at the bottom of the ocean.

The good news is, I have the books now, and they look great.....It's a small run, and I'm happy to say they are going fast.
Thanks for your interest.

John

John Carney
https://carneymagic.com/product/sleights-and-insights/

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 28th, 2021, 12:26 pm

Thanks, John. We are wishing you the best as you overcome these difficulties and get the books mailed out. Lord knows I feel your pain. :)

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » April 1st, 2021, 1:57 am

My copy arrived in Los Angeles today -- and it looks great.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Return to “Buzz”