RIP Amazing Randi

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Peter Ross
Favorite Magician: Doug Henning

RIP Amazing Randi

Postby Peter Ross » October 21st, 2020, 8:22 pm

I am so saddened by the loss of the Amazing Randi.

At the first magic convention I ever attended in NYC as a pre-teen, Randi escaped from a straight jacket only feet away from me.
I bought a poster of him and later while eating lunch with my father at a nearby restaurant, Randi was sitting at the next table and signed my poster. I remember Randi and my father had a nice, friendly conversation.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: RIP Amazing Randi

Postby MagicbyAlfred » October 22nd, 2020, 7:42 am

I was sad to hear of the Amazing Randi's passing to the great magical beyond. My sincere condolences to his loved ones.

A one-of-a-kind figure, he was remarkably multi-faceted: magician, mentalist, escapologist, prolific author, lecturer, creator, TV and radio personality, debunker of those claiming to have powers they did not possess (although he preferred the term, "investigator"), and more...

He truly was amazing. I met him at a lecture he gave in Ft. Lauderdale in the early 90's and I was blown away by his performance of the Book test. I purchased both books that he used for the test from him, right then and there; one purports to be King Arthur and His Knights and the other, The Odyssey.. I still have and use both in performing the Book Test to this day. They are ingeniously conceived and the routine invariably gets a great reaction. And I still use the wonderfully surprising revelation of the "thought-of" word that he used.

I used to run into Randi at the magic shop from time to time (there were 3 of them in the Ft. Lauderdale area, where we both were living at the time), and it was always intriguing to speak with him. A couple of times I went over to his house and shared some coffee and philosophical discussions about magic and mentalism. Obviously a very intelligent person. Now he gets to investigate a whole new world. I will miss him.

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » October 22nd, 2020, 11:38 am

"Now he gets to investigate a whole new world. I will miss him."

Alfred, that says it all. Wonderfully put. Thank you.

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » October 22nd, 2020, 1:46 pm

Alfred, following Chetday's words, your entire post is very touching and informative!

Thank you!

I have been a great fan of him since I knew about him around 2001.

Not only a great magican, but a really brave one to face magicians who deviated from the true concept of magic as entertainment.

I like a lot his philosophy about the concept of magic as entertainment.

"I'm a liar, a cheat and a charlatan, but at least I know it."

"Those who believe without reason cannot been convinced by reason."

"No amount of belief makes something a fact."

Indeed, magic is not a fact, but an illusion that everybody may like.

God bless him!
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » October 22nd, 2020, 6:24 pm

Well said, Alfred and Paco!

Here's the lengthy obit from the NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/obit ... ticleShare

You got to love Randi's last wish:
“I want to be cremated,” he said. “And I want my ashes blown in Uri Geller’s eyes.”

Amen to that, and may he rest in peace in magic's biggest wonderland!
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 22nd, 2020, 8:15 pm

URI geller gave the best magic lecture I’ve ever seen.

Period.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » October 23rd, 2020, 3:57 am

"Now he gets to investigate a whole new world."
"God bless him!"
"Amen to that, and may he rest in peace in magic's biggest wonderland!"

"A belief in a god is one of the most damaging things that infests humanity at this particular moment in history." - James Randi, 2016

Paco Nagata

Postby Paco Nagata » October 23rd, 2020, 4:32 am

Brad Henderson wrote:URI geller gave the best magic lecture I’ve ever seen.

Period.

Indeed, a magic lecture about how to fool yourself must be a really good one.

Paco Nagata

Postby Paco Nagata » October 23rd, 2020, 4:35 am

Denis Behr wrote:"Now he gets to investigate a whole new world."
"God bless him!"

"A belief in a god is one of the most damaging things that infests humanity at this particular moment in history." - James Randi, 2016

Fortunatelly God didn't sue him (as far as I know).

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » October 23rd, 2020, 9:59 am

Here's a few fun factoids regarding the amazing one (they are all verifiable with primary sources, but I'm not going to take the time to post those here, as I am feeling exceptionally UN-academic at the moment.) The italicized comments are my own:

During Alice Cooper's 1973–1974 Billion Dollar Babies tour, Randi performed on stage both as a mad dentist and as Cooper's executioner. He also built several of the stage props, including the guillotine. [Cooper warned the audience during the concert that, "If anyone boos, heads will roll!" OK, I made that part up]

In a 1976 performance for the Canadian TV special World of Wizards, Randi escaped from a straitjacket while suspended upside-down over Niagara Falls. [I had never heard about that before, and I was really impressed, as I had never associated Randi with escapology. It is Interesting to consider, however, that both Randi, and the most famous escapologist of all time both made it their life's mission to expose fraudulent psychics]

When Randi hosted his own radio show in the 1960s, he lived in a small house in Rumson, New Jersey, that featured a sign on the premises that read: "Randi—Charlatan." [It seems Randi always took great pains to emphasize that everything he did was accomplished by trickery. I would infer that it was because he was so super-zealous about going after those who claimed what they were doing was the real deal - so he had to keep himself above reproach - from being vulnerable to being called a hypocrite or being discredited]

Randi has been accused of actually using psychic powers to perform acts such as spoon bending. According to James Alcock, at a meeting where Randi was duplicating the performances of Uri Geller, a professor from the University at Buffalo shouted out that Randi was a fraud. Randi said: "Yes, indeed, I'm a trickster, I'm a cheat, I'm a charlatan, that's what I do for a living. Everything I've done here was by trickery." The professor shouted back: "That's not what I mean. You're a fraud because you're pretending to do these things through trickery, but you're actually using psychic powers and misleading us by not admitting it." [If there's one thing I've learned as a performer, my assumptions about how people think and perceive what we do as magicians or mentalists are often wrong. I am so often surprised. But magic is a great way to learn about human psychology, and listening carefully to what people say can be a great asset in constructing one's presentations.]

In June 2009, at The Amaz!ng Meeting 7, Randi announced that he had been diagnosed with colorectal cancer. He said: "One day, I'm gonna die. That's all there is to it. Hey, it's too bad, but I've got to make room. I'm using a lot of oxygen and such — I think it's good use of oxygen myself, but of course, I'm a little prejudiced on the matter." [As it turns out, this would turn out to be the one prediction Randi made that involved no trickery, cheating or charlatanism...]

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 23rd, 2020, 12:05 pm

Paco Nagata wrote:

Period.

Indeed, a magic lecture about how to fool yourself must be a really good one.

Uri didn’t fool himself. He knows What he is/was doing. Which is why bent spoons will be forever associated with the supernatural and Randi will be forgotten except by his acolytes.

Diego

Postby Diego » October 23rd, 2020, 2:39 pm

Perhaps Uri Geller's talent and career, by itself, should be considered for a separate topic/thread. Although Uri Geller and James Randi, is a topic relevent here.

I'm not disagreeing with Brad, I have watched in person, as Geller took a thousand strangers and made them HIS audience, and took them into HIS world, on HIS terms. One of the great memories of what charisma and showmanship can do, is watching a 1,000 people, as one, rising half out of their chairs, watching transfixed, as a key bended a quarter of an inch in Geller's hands.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 23rd, 2020, 2:59 pm

Geller was amazing at the first Genii convention. I don't think anyone who watched his lecture will forget it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Peter Ross

Postby Peter Ross » October 23rd, 2020, 4:11 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Geller was amazing at the first Genii convention. I don't think anyone who watched his lecture will forget it.

Praise for Geller, but no words at all paying respect for James Randi in a thread titled "RIP Amazing Randi." Even considering past grievances, that's pretty cold.

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » October 23rd, 2020, 4:15 pm

Denis Behr wrote:"Now he gets to investigate a whole new world."
"God bless him!"

Haha, nice catch, Denis! :lol:

Mr. Randi may have changed his view very recently, though... Who knows? ;)
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » October 23rd, 2020, 4:17 pm

The Ouija board just said, "No, I haven't."

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » October 23rd, 2020, 4:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » October 23rd, 2020, 6:02 pm

Peter Ross wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:Geller was amazing at the first Genii convention. I don't think anyone who watched his lecture will forget it.

Praise for Geller, but no words at all paying respect for James Randi in a thread titled "RIP Amazing Randi." Even considering past grievances, that's pretty cold.

I don't think it's fair to say "no words."

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 23rd, 2020, 7:32 pm

I don't have much respect for Randi, but that's a personal matter.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » October 24th, 2020, 5:30 am

Interesting to hear.

I don't have any respect for fraudsters, cheats and charlatans.

All magic is based on deception, but not all deceptions are magical or done by magicians.

Here's hoping that Mr. Randi will get an adequate obit in Genii.

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » October 24th, 2020, 5:36 am

Period.

Maybe he should use your quote in his PR blurb.
Might help a lot of people to get the story of this strangely empowered (?) visitor from outer space (?) right. :lol:

I'm already sorry that I mentioned Randi's funny final wish... It just sidetracked this obit thread into muddy waters. :roll:

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 24th, 2020, 10:03 am

No discussion of Randi will ever not forever be linked to Geller. If it weren’t for Geller likely no one today would even know the name Randi, other than a few magicians. And while it’s true Randi was the greatest publicist Geller ever had, Geller and his work maintains a cultural relevance independent from Randi and one that will last - for better or worse - for years to come.

Let’s face it - Outside of the Psicop clan, disaffected college students with libertarian fixations, and a few older folks who enjoy literary allusions to obscure personalities of the past, Randi has no cultural presence (the few minutes of his netflix documentary notwithstanding). Which is a shame but not surprising.

Randi and Gardner made the wrong choice when they decided how to go after the psychics. They chose antagonism and ridicule as their means of confrontation. They built their house on a foundation of debunking - of taking away beliefs and offering nothing in return. They engaged the problem like a science experiment and not an emotional one built on human fears and needs. By painting psychics as scam artists they condemned those who believed as marks. This only further entrenched those beliefs, especially since of the two factions only one was delivering the comfort and answers longed for.

We only need look today and see the failure of this approach. Pseudo science remains rampant; magical thinking prevails and conspiracy theories thrive - even among those in our own community who claim to be experts at deception.

Randi’s fame was built on his war with Geller.

I’m not saying it’s a good thing - but Geller won.

Dr. Solka
Favorite Magician: Willis Dysart, Willem Bouman, Werner Miller, James Solberg, Jan Forster

Postby Dr. Solka » October 24th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Paco Nagata wrote:"Those who believe without reason cannot been convinced by reason."
:!: :!: :!:

Paco Nagata

Postby Paco Nagata » October 24th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:I’m not saying it’s a good thing - but Geller won.

Everybody knows that Geller does NOT have psychic powers (as nobody has).
So, he didn't win at all.
He can't win, because it's impossible.

Do you think he has psychic powers?
Did he say in his lecture he has psychic powers?
Did he proved it in his lecture?
Have you learnt how to move things with your mind in his lectures?

Magicians are illusionist, not supernatural people!

The emotional part of the art of magic you talk about is just about the conflict that happen in our brain when we see a magical EFFECT, not about believing that it is true.
Doing a magic effect is emotional.
Pretending that it is true for sure is a fraud.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 24th, 2020, 2:32 pm

“Everybody knows that geller does not have psychic powers” - well this statement is false on face value. Clearly people do or Randi would have never had to go on his crusade and you wouldn’t be so adamantly condemning Geller. If no one believed him, then there would be no conversation to have

“Nobody has” -this is the problem with the skeptical movement led by Randi. This is not the statement of a skeptic, but a believer. A skeptic would say there is no proof of supernatural powers to the standards we require. A believer believes one thing; a skeptic, many. It is in part this zealotry which closed the minds of those who most needed to hear the message. Randi and people like you shot yourself in your own foot by putting your ego ahead of the cause. Clearly you are smarter than everyone else who is so stupid to believe this nonsense. How well does that approach work in changing peoples minds?

Your questions mean nothing. Houdini cheated his whole career and people believed all his escapes were accomplished by skill alone. No one cares about the methods but magicians - magicians who will never achieve the fame geller has. They focus on their own self defeating limitations instead of asking what the audience wants and giving it to them.

And thank you for telling everyone what a magician must present him or herself as. I’m sure many magicians feel the same way. None of them has had the cultural impact that geller has.

What I think you mean to say is according to your personal value system magicians should define themselves narrowly and not step out of their clearly defined cell. You are of course welcome to live your life that way - who are you, again?

Geller won because his work will continue to remain part of the cultural zeitgeist- people will forever reference bending spoons. Psychics are still reading cards. Pseudo science gets pushed at faster and faster rates.

Randi had good intentions - intentions I wholly support. But he misunderstood the issue. He focused on the methods and not the results. He gave people the secrets when what they wanted was hope.

Geller won.

AJM

Postby AJM » October 24th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Nobody in the real world, the world that matters, gives a toss about either Geller or Randi.

Only folks on forums like this one it seems ...

Andrew

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » October 24th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Well, I daresay that nobody in the real world gives a toss about almost anything we post or discuss on here...

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 24th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Randi and his ilk misjudged public trust in open skeptical explorations of nature.

The good of the many (be that in dollars or people's happiness and sense of valid tradition) outweighs the needs of the few (be they skeptical inquirers, contrarians, or the unfashionable).

I hope the challenge to demonstrate "supernatural" effects continues and that it's more open. How wonderful to find new facts in the world.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » October 24th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Here's something I wrote in 2013 concerning Randi ...
Brad Jeffers wrote:I saw Randi perform at a local college about 35 years ago. I arrived early and brought along a copy of the Geller book, which had just come out in paperback. Randi came up to where I was seated (I was the only one in the theater) and introduced himself. He signed the book and gave me an envelope which contained a prediction, to be used later during the performance.

The Amazing Randi was a one man show. He did however, have with him a young man, who in addition to assisting him with the props, did his own turn with the linking rings. I remember thinking how cool it would be, to travel with a veteran professional such as Randi, and to also get the opportunity to perform. I realize now, that the young man was probably performing more than I had imagined.

Randi patterned his career after Houdini, doing many of the escapes and stunts that we associate with him (jail breaks, straight jacket, milk can, etc.). Then came the debunking faze. Where Houdini had Margery, Randi found his great nemesis in Uri Geller. Although I am a fan of Randi, I have always had negative feelings about his exposure of Geller's methods. Unlike many, I admired Geller. I consider him to be a performance artist who took his act to it's highest level, by refusing to break character (which admitting to trickery would have done).

Anyway, I think that if you take the path of patterning your career so closely with that of such an iconic figure as Houdini, you run the risk of becoming just another Elvis impersonator. But there's nothing wrong with that. One could do worse. As I said, I am a fan. I look forward to the Penn Jillette biography.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 24th, 2020, 5:05 pm

To some people, he was very much less than amazing.

Peter Ross

Postby Peter Ross » October 24th, 2020, 8:01 pm

"...saying you're doing tricks is beautiful and wonderful. And saying that this is a phenomena that we don't know about and we'd better study it more, is repulsive."- Penn Jillette

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.5772898

jason156
Favorite Magician: Bro. John Hamman, Simon Aronson, David Regal

Postby jason156 » October 25th, 2020, 12:40 am

Bob Farmer wrote:To some people, he was very much less than amazing.

Aren't we all ......

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » October 25th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Who can forget that photo of a shackled Randi on the dustjacket of Hyla Clark's The World's Greatest Magic? Or his 1976 performance of the Milk Can escape using Houdini's can?

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » October 25th, 2020, 1:00 pm

For those who don't already know, Randi's Milk Can poster has Harry Houdini spelled out in Morse code along the seam.

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » October 25th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Hm, my poster seems to telegraph F-*-*-*-U-R-I-G-E-L-L-E-R... ;)

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » October 25th, 2020, 5:08 pm

It must be cursed.

Return to “Buzz”