A question about Michael Skinner's Notebooks

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Philippe Noël

A question about Michael Skinner's Notebooks

Postby Philippe Noël » August 24th, 2020, 5:34 am

In The Skinner Tapes, John Carney generously allowed that Michael Skinner's Notebooks were published.
So Michael "Green" Notes volume 1,2,3,4 have been published.
When you listen to the tapes Michael reads some effects that he says are described in his Notebooks.
For example, for the E.G. Brown's Six card mental Effect, Michael explains that he reads it from his Notebook.
But this effect is not described in the "Green" Notes.
Were there other Notebooks then the "Green" Notes?

Edward Pungot

Re: A question about Michael Skinner's Notebooks

Postby Edward Pungot » August 24th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Nine effects from the repertoire of Michael Skinner. Forward by John Carney.
https://www.lybrary.com/the-magic-of-michael-skinner-p-922211.html

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » August 24th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Nine effects from the repertoire of Michael Skinner

The first of these nine effects is ...

"INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS - Michael's brilliant "wild card" routine that is a superb study into how Skinner thought...every single aspect of this trick is explained...and learn a handling that most have never even thought of before."

Is this something different from the Peter Samelson routine of the same name?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2020, 2:16 pm

I believe it might be a variation.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Randal2
Favorite Magician: Vito Lupo, Lance Burton, and Double Vision

Postby Chris Randal2 » August 25th, 2020, 5:28 pm

This is so beautiful he talks about palming and informs the audience about palming then proceeds to do some of the smoothest, most beautiful, and well timed palming. Just incredible

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4S3j_hgCF4

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 25th, 2020, 6:10 pm

Skinner is doing Jennings' "Invisible Palm Aces."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 25th, 2020, 9:56 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:
Nine effects from the repertoire of Michael Skinner

The first of these nine effects is ...

"INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS - Michael's brilliant "wild card" routine that is a superb study into how Skinner thought...every single aspect of this trick is explained...and learn a handling that most have never even thought of before."

Is this something different from the Peter Samelson routine of the same name?

I bought the notes.

While Mr. Skinner based his presentation on Peter Samelson's original, the handling is completely different and bears little relation to Mr. Samelson's routine. The notes do not contain Mr. Skinner's presentation or his timing.

Chris Randal2
Favorite Magician: Vito Lupo, Lance Burton, and Double Vision

Postby Chris Randal2 » August 26th, 2020, 2:48 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Skinner is doing Jennings' "Invisible Palm Aces."

Of course he is I studied the trick for years. I spent the last few years of BJ Jennings life with her taking her to Bingo and listening to stories. What I didn't know never owning the Jennings books is the the presentation and how Michael handled it. I saw Larry do it when I was a child on Greater Magicians of Las Vegas produced by Sal Marilo and Larry did it at the castle. I also spent a lot of time with Michael in my home town of Las Vegas at Gary Darwin’s magic club as well as at the Golden Nugget. We always had a connection that we both went from Upstate New York to Las Vegas me Buffalo him in Rochester.

Bill Evans

Postby Bill Evans » August 27th, 2020, 2:31 pm

Interesting thinking here on Invisible Palm Aces. I was visiting Michael years ago staying at his condo when he gave me a video tape of this performance which also contained his Tonight Show performance when Tony Curtis was host. Anyway, we watched this together and discussed in detail many aspects of what was going on. On the Invisible Palm routine, I asked him why he used the method he did for the vanish of the aces rather than the Finley Tent Vanish. He told me he worked this out because he knew he would flash as Phyllis Newman was going to be sitting to his left and that he couldn't shift the angle by turning his body because of the camera. However, he preferred the Tent Vanish when it was covered. He proved this years later in 1996 while performing the effect at the Academy of Magical Arts award banquet (where he received his Performing Fellowship) when he did the effect at the table with the camera head on and capturing the effect on the big screen. It was a beautiful performance that had audible gasps when the aces appeared.

David Moore

Postby David Moore » September 9th, 2020, 3:55 pm

I'm a little confused about the effect in "Fecter's Hanky Force" from the Lelekis notes. If you're going to reach under the hanky to produce the card, why not just control the selection to the bottom of the pack and eliminate the packet flipping?

If the effect is that the spectator cut to their card, this could be done by sliding the tabled half out from under the hanky, flipping it over in the process.

Or, am I missing something?

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » September 11th, 2020, 1:39 am

erdnasephile wrote:While Mr. Skinner based his presentation on Peter Samelson's original, the handling is completely different and bears little relation to Mr. Samelson's routine. The notes do not contain Mr. Skinner's presentation or his timing.

You can see Skinner perform Samelson's Invasion of the Bodysnatchers on DVD #2 that was included in The Skinner Tapes.
The change that Skinner makes is to use the same vanish each time.

Skinner says of Samelson's handling, "He uses a different vanish for each of them but a lot of them are weak ... I use this, which is the best vanish for use with a double faced card, so I use the same way each time".

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 12th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Thanks, Brad!

Return to “Buzz”