New David Blaine Event

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

New David Blaine Event

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 12th, 2020, 9:32 pm

Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Re: New David Blaine Event

Postby Steve Bryant » August 13th, 2020, 9:50 am

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 13th, 2020, 11:35 am

I don't believe that's what David is going to do. :)

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » August 14th, 2020, 12:13 am

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » August 14th, 2020, 12:25 am

Yehuda

Postby Yehuda » August 14th, 2020, 12:54 am

He talks about it on Fallon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mweJp3BHdE

Yehuda

Diego

Postby Diego » August 14th, 2020, 10:38 am

The first thing I though of when I saw the above photo, was the final scene from, "The Red Balloon", and listening to him talk with Jimmy Fallon, David said that's exactly where the inspiration came from.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 14th, 2020, 11:01 am

Ted M wrote:What were you guessing, Richard?

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/d ... 32966/amp/

I actually spoke about it with David a few days ago when the teaser on amazon first dropped. I can't really say much about it other than there is supposed to be more to it than that.

Don't forget, he already did a balloon thing once in Central Park at the end of a special and that didn't go well.

Mac Stone

Postby Mac Stone » August 15th, 2020, 7:09 pm

I suspect there's a reason DB has been hanging out with this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAWJ9MbhCIU

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » August 17th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Jumping out of a plane without a parachute from 25,000 feet... now that's going to be the thrill of a lifetime no matter how it ends. Regarding the video, pay special attention to the talk toward the end about the moment of crystal clarity that comes while successfully doing such a stunt. I've always thought of David Blaine as having a mystical side and his comment and enthusiastic reaction while talking about that moment of clarity confirmed my assumption. I can't wait to see what he has planned for us (and for himself) with this new event. The comments about not being nervous were also interesting, and my assumption here is that plenty of advanced preparation and practice lead to excitement and anticipation rather than fear. It's too bad I'm too old to jump out of planes because I think this kind of stunt really would be worth trying. On the other hand, maybe being old would be the best time to do it.

Topovich

Postby Topovich » August 27th, 2020, 11:00 pm

I expect David to have some surprise for us that we hadn't figured on.

Looking forward to see this.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 30th, 2020, 5:16 am

Live link here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwzvNAAqH3g

Broadcast time is interesting - weekday morning - appears to be 6 am New York time ... which would be midnight in LA ? Will be missing out on a number of live viewers in the US as a result - but likely works out better for global demographic.

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » August 30th, 2020, 8:47 am

Only 3 hours difference between NY and LA, Craig.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » August 30th, 2020, 9:51 am

Mac Stone wrote:I suspect there's a reason DB has been hanging out with this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAWJ9MbhCIU

So the plan is to go up high with the balloons, let go and land on a targeted site?

That would be some stunt.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 30th, 2020, 11:14 am

The time is not good for anyone in the USA. 3am in Los Angeles and 6 am in New York. In a pandemic, few people choose to wake up at that hour.

Topovich

Postby Topovich » August 30th, 2020, 11:42 am

It's been postponed for a day or two; they've announced a weather delay.

The stunt has also been relocated from NYC to Arizona.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/d ... 234753858/

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 30th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Postponing due to weather is one thing ( light breeze forecast for NY tomorrow ) - but an entirely new location announced the day before ?

Seems a bit ‘off’ when you consider how much effort goes into venue location / logistics / preproduction etc.

Was Arizona ever mentioned as a possible site previously ?

Unless they were just super well prepared :-)

Topovich

Postby Topovich » August 30th, 2020, 9:59 pm

Agreed. The fact that the video announcing the change was filmed with Blaine in Arizona only increases my level of suspicion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzmisKB-LlI

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 31st, 2020, 7:33 am

David was beaten to the punch by a 3 year old and kite in Taiwan...

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3998200

Topovich

Postby Topovich » September 2nd, 2020, 4:13 am

Going in the sky with a helium balloon has been done before. Just read about the Red Bull Stratos project here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_Stratos

"Red Bull Stratos was a high altitude diving project involving Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner. On 14 October 2012, Baumgartner flew approximately 39 kilometres into the stratosphere over New Mexico, United States, in a helium balloon before free falling in a pressure suit and then parachuting to Earth. The total jump, from leaving the capsule to landing on the ground, lasted approximately ten minutes."

With Blaine there has to be something magical involved. I predict he will levitate mid-air, unexpectedly vanish, or something surprising like that.

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » September 2nd, 2020, 6:39 am

Or go without a chute.

Barden

Postby Barden » September 2nd, 2020, 9:05 am

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » September 2nd, 2020, 11:53 am

“This stunt has been 10 years in the making,” Blaine tweeted Wednesday. “Let’s turn worry into wonder and take magic to new heights.”

That was it? 10 years in the making? Really?

Felt like something else/extra was planned and didn't come off, leading to a rather pedestrian "Plan B" which was frankly not that impressive compared to a lot of daredevil type stuff already out there on youtube...

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » September 2nd, 2020, 12:10 pm

For me, it was one of the most thrilling things I've seen. Kept me glued for 3 hours.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » September 2nd, 2020, 12:24 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:For me, it was one of the most thrilling things I've seen. Kept me glued for 3 hours.

That amazes me more than Blaine's actual stunt.

After the amazing bit of red bull sponsored derring do eight years(!) ago (supersonic freefall) can't say I found much thrill or magic value in whatever Blaine was doing today for three hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHtvDA0W34I

JFox

Postby JFox » September 2nd, 2020, 12:38 pm

When there is so much high-tech equipment involved, a safety crew in communication, multiple cameras, and a decade of planning...it takes away much of the thrill (for me).

38 years ago, Larry Walters didn't need all of that...He just did it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawnchair_Larry_flight

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » September 2nd, 2020, 12:47 pm

When it was over, I had to take out my copy of Peggy Lee singing Is That All There Is and play it. Sheesh!

If there was any tension, it was the preparation leading up to the event and not the event itself.

Anyway, when you have a child like he does, you should NEVER take unnecessary risks in my opinion. That to me is way more important than anything else!

At the end, he told his daughter that he did it all for her. REALLY!?!?

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » September 2nd, 2020, 12:57 pm

The man flew to almost 25,000 feet attached to some balloons in weather 31 degrees below freezing.

Admittedly, three hours doesn't play in this tik-tok world.

Edited, that could have been a really exciting piece of theater.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » September 2nd, 2020, 1:52 pm

Joe Lyons wrote:The man flew to almost 25,000 feet attached to some balloons in weather 31 degrees below freezing.

Admittedly, three hours doesn't play in this tik-tok world.

I would have found it equally tedious in any kind of world, parallel or otherwise.

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » September 2nd, 2020, 2:03 pm

I took a walk during the build-up and missed probably 45 minutes of that, but I watched the rest and enjoyed it very much. At the risk of getting kicked in my old head, I have to say some of you guys sure are hard to please. Personally, I try to keep my mouth shut when I'm tempted to dump on someone for doing something I'd never have the balls or skill to do.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » September 2nd, 2020, 2:44 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:
Jack Shalom wrote:For me, it was one of the most thrilling things I've seen. Kept me glued for 3 hours.

That amazes me more than Blaine's actual stunt.

After the amazing bit of red bull sponsored derring do eight years(!) ago (supersonic freefall) can't say I found much thrill or magic value in whatever Blaine was doing today for three hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHtvDA0W34I

LOL.

Based on that clip, the Baumgartner jump was completely different: he goes up in an enclosed capsule, Blaine is in the open; he's wearing a spacesuit, complete with helmet, Blaine's wearing a jacket; A single huge weather balloon takes him up, Blaine has what looks like a bunch of kids' balloons; Baumgartner's an astronaut, Blaine's an artist.

The Blaine event was about a guy who had an image in his head--the one that many kids do--of holding onto a bunch of helium balloons and being dragged upwards with it, and working to make that image become reality. He's more artist than astronaut. And while the build-up ran a bit long, it was crucial to show how that image was turned into reality by a talented team. It wasn't just about the free fall--after all, it was called Ascension--but about the story of turning what was just a picture in the imagination into reality.
Last edited by Jack Shalom on September 2nd, 2020, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » September 2nd, 2020, 2:45 pm

Kudos to Blaine.

Whilst it took a while to get to actual launch - once airborne, I was riveted.

The initial release was chilling - a piercing cracking sound followed by immense silence as he plummeted straight to earth ... and for that split moment wandering what if ...

That right there was theatre.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » September 2nd, 2020, 2:50 pm

Jack Shalom wrote: He's more artist than astronaut. And while the build-up ran a bit long, it was crucial to show how that image was turned into reality by a talented team. It wasn't just about the free fall--after all, it was called Ascension--but about the story of turning what was just a picture in the imagination into reality.

Kudos to Blaine for reminding us that even "art" can sometimes be an uninspired, tedious slog.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » September 2nd, 2020, 3:48 pm

For those who are criticizing those who are criticizing the event, please consider this...

Movies, plays, books, and other things are reviewed and criticized by those who can’t do those things all the time.

One purpose of this forum is to express thyself within acceptable limitations determined by RK.

So...let’s take a look at what took place...

He was attached to a slew of things including a bunch of balloons, released into the air, took a 25,000 foot ride, put on a straight jacket...I mean parachute, in constant contact with experts on the ground, and told when to detach himself from the balloons, and did a parachute ride to the ground.

The only difference between what he did and what regular parachutists do was to use balloons rather than a plane to ascend and perhaps at a much higher altitude.

Would I or could I do it? Heck no!

It seems to me that the daredevil challenges he has taken in the past on the ground seemed more difficult to me in a variety of ways. In essence, those things seemed more dangerous to me than today’s challenge. Today felt very mechanical. His older feats seemed to require great/greater endurance.

What did impress me was his absolutely adorable daughter. Polite, bright, cute, and a genuine sweetheart! Never seen her before and was quite impressed with her.

Anyway, you can throw darts at me if you wish but, for goodness sake, I am entitled to my opinion.

By the way, I am not discounting all of his effort in learning about skydiving and other skills he has worked to achieve. I am just expressing my take relative to what I was expecting.

I have always said that I give him much credit for his promotion of the art of magic so I am not all negative about him. He has accomplished way more than I and most others could ever!

Next!

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 2nd, 2020, 5:03 pm

All i can say is that was unfreakinbelievable! I immensely enjoyed the whole thing from start to finish, every aspect of it was fascinating to me. David has one gigantic set of cahones! I almost felt like I was up there with him. And he landed on his feet! The closest I've ever come to anything like that was performing card in balloon at a kids' birthday party.

I was also reminded of the time-honored maxim: "If at first you don't succeed...

...your skydiving days are over."

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » September 2nd, 2020, 9:32 pm

JFox wrote:38 years ago, Larry Walters didn't need all of that...He just did it.
HERE is an interesting interview with Lawnchair Larry Walters from 1982.
It includes videotape of his compelling version of 'Ascension'.

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » September 2nd, 2020, 9:33 pm

I.M. Magician wrote:For those who are criticizing those who are criticizing the event, please consider this...
Movies, plays, books, and other things are reviewed and criticized by those who can’t do those things all the time.
One purpose of this forum is to express thyself within acceptable limitations determined by RK.

Absolutely! If one needed a license to post on this forum it would be a much quieter forum.
I.M. Magician wrote:The only difference between what he did and what regular parachutists do was to use balloons rather than a plane to ascend and perhaps at a much higher altitude.

Wait a minute...that "only difference" entails a temperature of 31 degrees below zero and an additional 10,000 to 15,000 feet in a much less reliable aircraft. I shiver well above 32 and get nervous on top of my roof.
I.M. Magician wrote:What did impress me was his absolutely adorable daughter. Polite, bright, cute, and a genuine sweetheart! Never seen her before and was quite impressed with her.

Agreed, yeah, she is cute.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » September 2nd, 2020, 9:42 pm

Perhaps I forgot to mention the extreme temperature but was just an oversight.

Less reliable aircraft? Not so sure about that!

Overall, it was a fascinating event I suppose. Something you don’t see everyday huh?

After several hours past, I have soften my view somewhat. That happens sometimes...

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » September 3rd, 2020, 3:00 am

Stats are in ... 770,000 peak live concurrent viewers ... a new record for a "Youtube Originals" production.

The Youtube clip as of today currently has 6.1 million views

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » September 3rd, 2020, 7:03 am

Over 97% of those who chose to click gave it a thumbs up.

Maybe there is hope for our attention span after all.

Return to “Buzz”