Someone didn’t get the memo - performing animals

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Someone didn’t get the memo - performing animals

Postby CraigMitchell » August 12th, 2020, 4:13 pm

https://vitalvegas.com/big-cat-magic-sh ... gas-strip/

Performing animals + decimated entertainment market = recipe for disaster

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Re: Someone didn’t get the memo - performing animals

Postby Leo Garet » August 13th, 2020, 10:13 am

I think someone did get the memo and that someone knows better. Twas ever thus.

I've always considered acts with animals to be suspect, even such bits of fluff as The Wychwoods. And doves, if it comes to that. Not a fan of circuses even now, loathed them when they "featured" animals.

All that said, I kept looking for some mention of audience safety. Didn't see it. Or did I miss it.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 13th, 2020, 12:44 pm

The cats are tethered to a cable running across the length of the stage.

Perspectives have shifted. Performing animals are just no longer being accepted by today’s modern audience.

Why persist ?

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » August 13th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Even now in historically low attendance times Vegas is getting 30,000 visitors per day. There’s no other shows running (and none making any serious moves to re open before Christmas) so he will have a complete monopoly and since the venue is only 300 seats even if 99% of visitors decide the show isn’t for them he’ll still be selling more tickets than most Vegas headliner magicians pull in high season.

His show isn’t for me but as a business gamble it’s a very sensible one in the current climate - it will either crash faster than RUN or will make him very rich indeed.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » August 13th, 2020, 1:26 pm

CraigMitchell wrote:The cats are tethered to a cable running across the length of the stage.

Perspectives have shifted. Performing animals are just no longer being accepted by today’s modern audience.

Why persist ?

I think we got your message. Well, I did and I thought I made my "perspective" quite clear.

Thanks for the "tethered to a cable" info. To me that makes it worse.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 14th, 2020, 8:24 am

"Even now in historically low attendance times Vegas is getting 30,000 visitors per day. There’s no other shows running (and none making any serious moves to re open before Christmas) so he will have a complete monopoly and since the venue is only 300 seats even if 99% of visitors decide the show isn’t for them he’ll still be selling more tickets than most Vegas headliner magicians pull in high season."

We watch the space with interest.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » August 14th, 2020, 8:29 am

Leo Garet Wrote: "Not a fan of circuses even now, loathed them when they 'featured' animals...Thanks for the "tethered to a cable" info. To me that makes it worse."

Agreed, but animals in the circus are undoubtedly treated far better than most people treat chickens, turkeys, bulls, cows, pigs, lambs, etc. pretty much every day. Instead of buying a circus ticket, they pay the profiteers of the "livestock industry," the butcher, grocer, restauranteur, or fast food establishment for their "enjoyment" - but the defenseless animals are the ones who pay most dearly.

Diego

Postby Diego » August 14th, 2020, 10:31 am

Having known and worked with those who performed (circus and others) with animals, I remember the care
and devotion they received and how important and valued the animals were in their lives, as well as their careers....when it was a given if
you were down to your last dollar, and you could either buy food for your animals or yourself, the animals ate.

What social distancing can be/will be done in a tent seating 300+, is a separate question as well...if they sell out, is every seat taken or is there still distancing? (note how some airlines don't have any distancing, if they can sell all the seats)

It's a question if Siegfried and Roy could have a career today, despite their practice/reputation for the care and preservation for their animals that they have always had and demonstrated. Perhaps being in a destination venue, vs traveling from one city to another, with each city having it's own ordinances and opposition to deal with.

Topovich

Postby Topovich » August 27th, 2020, 10:52 pm

Favourite quote from this article:

Owenhouse has said his animals participate in the show “because they want to.” We’re thinking he might want to start billing himself as an “Animal Psychic Comedy-Magician.”

Return to “Buzz”