Disney's Magic Camp

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Disney's Magic Camp

Postby CraigMitchell » August 10th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Disney's Magic Camp

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 10th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Oy.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 10th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Check out 00:50 ;)

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » August 11th, 2020, 2:23 am

I predict an upsurge in magical interest from this movie.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » August 11th, 2020, 8:15 am

Harmless fun. Evidently one of the drafts of the script was written by Steve Martin.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 11th, 2020, 8:17 am

Been a long road. Steve Martin was initially attached, Steve Valentine I'm told later ... and most recently Justin Willman served as magic consultant.

https://www.slashfilm.com/steve-martin- ... agic-camp/

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 11th, 2020, 10:21 am

It looks like the typical "misfits make good" and beat the "Socs" Disney plot. I do wish that one day more magic-themed productions would ditch the awkward magician stereotypes.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 11th, 2020, 10:22 am

This was supposed to be a theatrical release, but it's being dumped on Disney + on short notice. Not surprisingly, it looks awful.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 11th, 2020, 10:50 am

Well, the good news is that it looks like it's going to be a one-off instead of a series. . .

Then again, they did make "Descendants 2".

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » August 11th, 2020, 11:04 am

Looks like it was created for a young audience rather than us magicians so may be very entertaining for that viewer set.

In essence, it was not made to please us but instead, children who have their own entertainment requirements.

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » August 11th, 2020, 11:09 am

It's a "Pitch Perfect" spin-off so it will probably get a large audience just from the halo effect.

JFox

Postby JFox » August 11th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Oh, oh..looks like another expose of the French Drop!

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » August 11th, 2020, 7:00 pm

But a very, very bad French drop. I wouldn't fret...

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » August 12th, 2020, 6:09 am

I do wish that one day more magic-themed productions would ditch the awkward magician stereotypes.

Have you ever hung around with a group of magicians and seen how they behave?
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 12th, 2020, 6:10 am

The double-stick tape thing in the trailer may be more problematic, depending on how it's used in the actual show.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 12th, 2020, 6:11 am

Tom Moore wrote:
I do wish that one day more magic-themed productions would ditch the awkward magician stereotypes.

Have you ever hung around with a group of magicians and seen how they behave?

Touche, Sir. Touche.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 14th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Lots of fun references in the show.

Kudos to those involved - it can only be good for magic ... and Tannens is going to have a bumper enrollment :-)

timbrown
Favorite Magician: Frank Garcia

Postby timbrown » August 15th, 2020, 12:11 pm

I watched it today on Disney + and to be honest it was enjoyable. It is not a movie designed for magicians but for young people (after all it was created by Disney). But still enjoyable even for a 62 year-old like me. And as for the fact that it bypassed the theaters and went straight to a streaming platform .....well in these times of stay-at-home social distancing how else was this supposed to be released? At least in my region there are no theaters even opened yet. And while I always prefer to see a film in a proper theater I fear that those venues in large part will not survive. So I recommend that you pop some corn, tune into Disney+ and escape for 90 minutes or so.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 16th, 2020, 9:52 am

I didn't realise - but the film was shot in 2017 and subsequently put on hold by Disney following allegations of improper conduct surrounding Jeff Tambor ...

"So why did Magic Camp spend years locked in a vault like an Animaniac, receiving a quiet release on Disney+ with just one week of promotion and no advance reviews? As far as I can tell, the reason is “Cancel culture.” Not seen in the trailer and not billed on the poster is Jeffrey Tambor, who plays the founder and head of the Institute of Magic, Roy Preston. Filmed in early 2017, by the end of that year Tambor had been accused of misconduct by multiple women, swiftly losing jobs on a variety of projects including Disney’s Tangled: The Series and Star vs. the Forces of Evil and causing controversy with the promotion of Fox’s fifth season of Arrested Development on Netflix. The cancelation of Jeffrey Tambor seems to have brought down an entire Disney film where he plays a supporting character, certainly a disservice to the rest of the film’s cast, crew, and creative team. Particularly for the kids, many of whom make their screen debut here, the decision to cancel the release must’ve been heartbreaking.

Produced on a low budget for a Disney film and with Tambor’s role not a dominating factor, it seems odd that Disney decided back in 2018 to simply cut their losses rather than try to salvage the film. Reshoots would’ve been required, but some digitally trickery could’ve swapped him out of larger scenes with a cast of rapidly aging kids. At any rate, it’s here now with Tambor intact and whatever lingering controversies follow at a time when there’s a new movement to cancel “Cancel culture” are really for the viewer to decide."

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » August 17th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Hmm.. not really "cancel culture," as I understand the term. More like repercussions of the MeToo movement.

"Cancel Culture" generally refers more to freedom of speech issues--"I don't like what person X professes, therefore I will not support the invitation of X to speak at Y."

With Tambor, however, we're talking not about ideology, but behavior. I think there's a difference--especially when talking about a film that includes large numbers of children.

Remember too that the documentary that probably sparked the movie in the first place, the one about Tannen's summer camp, featured DO prominently. I don't think Disney wanted to echo the reality of that situation, for sure.

The loss of opportunity to the cast of the Disney movie lies squarely with Tambor, not Disney. Re-casting I think was a non-starter given the real-life court cases going on.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 17th, 2020, 5:22 pm

I saw the movie last night with my family. To my surprise, I actually enjoyed it...

Stuff I liked:
Real magic tricks done by the actors themselves: From what I could tell, the card handling was done by the teen stars and done pretty darn well in many cases. The stage illusions and dove act were also authentically performed. Kudos to the magic consultants: Willmon, Vogt, Alonzo, et al. and the actors for pulling this off.

Tributes to magic throughout: I admit it: I pretty much geeked out at the opening montage of some all time greats. I involuntarily started rattling off the names: Alexander, Thurston, deKolta, Houdini, Cardini, Henning, Penn and Teller, Copperfield, etc. (there were a few inclusions that weren't quite up to that heady company, but that's a nitpick). In addition, the posters in the background, the accurate terminology (I wonder if that's the first kids' show to talk about "false transfers" and "one-handed faros".), and actual props made me feel like this was one of those "labor of love" type projects in some respects.

The tone: In these cynical, combative, and impolite times, I grow a little weary of anti-heroes, angry people, and ambiguous entertainment. It was actually refreshing for me to spend a few minutes watching a show where things come out right and everybody gets along in the end. I actually had a good laugh at some of the humorous moments (the rabbit running gag comes to mind). Finally, I thought that magic was treated largely with an unexpected respect throughout.

A pretty diverse cast: It wasn't the most diverse cast I've ever seen, but for a Disney + show, it was better than many.

Stuff I didn't care for as much:
Adam Devine: I realize his character is supposed to be cynical and snarky initially, but he never seemed to convince me that his character evolves much. There was also not much chemistry with the female lead, Gillian Jacobs. Granted, Devine didn't have much script to work with, but I think Jeffrey Tambor did a better job of making due. It is possible that I have an implicit bias against anyone who doesn't do the McCombical Deck justice.

Cliches: Yep. The whole movie is one big Disney cliche. Everything from misfits trying to find their identity, to overcoming mean bullies, to the dead parent fetish--it's all here. (The fact that 6 screenwriters are listed and the tortured history of this production predicted as much.) I realize that this sentiment kind of conflicts with what I said above, but I do think the writers could have been more original without harming the positive tone.

Summary:
As I said, it may be the times that we are in (or perhaps the low expectations I had going in), but I liked it. Disney didn't try to charge me $30 to see it (See: Mulan) and my family all enjoyed it. It had plenty of magic fan service and a happy ending, and that's good enough for me.

Return to “Buzz”