RIP Ger Copper

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

RIP Ger Copper

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 7th, 2020, 11:51 am

Another sad day for magic. Dutch master Ger Copper has passed away. Our condolences to his family, friends, and many fans.

Q. Kumber

Re: RIP Ger Copper

Postby Q. Kumber » August 7th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Saddened to read this. Along with Fred Kaps and Richard Ross he was in the top ranks of international Dutch magicians.

I was fortunate to be at his 50th birthday party along with Eugene Burger and Johnny Thompson. There were only a few magicians present and we sat in a corner and did card tricks. I wish I could say I'd been specially invited but I went as Eugene's plus one.

May he rest in peace.

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » August 7th, 2020, 3:38 pm

Grand Prix winner in FISM 1979.
A great Magician.
I got the sad news by e-mail from my friend Danny Crauwels from Belgium.
My condolence to his family and friends and to the Art of Magic.
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn
Latest erratum corrections and improvements update, 16/06/2020.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » August 7th, 2020, 3:51 pm

His Cups and Balls was awesome.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 7th, 2020, 5:46 pm

Of all the things to catch, he died of Legionaire's disease that he caught in South Africa.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » August 8th, 2020, 2:24 am

He was a wonderful generous man who’s less well known outside of Central Europe - to magicians in the Netherlands / Belgium / Germany he’s probably best described as their Jonny Thompson; there’s no stage act out of those countries in the last 20 years that he didn’t have a major hand in.

I was lucky enough to work with him on 2 TV series and he was a joy to work with and had a brilliant eye (much like Ali bongo before him) of being able to cut through complicated ideas and find ways to make impossible things happen using the simplest methods.

It’s really hard to emphasise just how big a hole he leaves in the stage magic community - he will be really missed.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Chris Randal2
Favorite Magician: Vito Lupo, Lance Burton, and Double Vision

Postby Chris Randal2 » August 8th, 2020, 2:59 am

Nooo! The only highlight of FISM was meeting Ger Copper he was such a nice man and helped me through my FISM meltdown. He was such a sweet man and was cheering me on even though he had an amazing student in the contest Neik Takens. This is a huge loss not only to those who spent time with him but magic and FISM. I have to now break the need to my mentor Vito Lupo now which I regret to do. This is horrible

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » August 8th, 2020, 3:08 am

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » August 8th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Joe Lyons wrote:His Cups and Balls was awesome.

Wow your right I only watched the fism act but last night got repeated fooled by his cups link below

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XPIr9uS3Xnw

Jon Pendragon
Favorite Magician: Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jon Pendragon » August 8th, 2020, 8:12 pm

I have found that the sad reality of getting old is that you watch your friends die before you do. I knew Ger for more than 40 years. He was the last of the new wave of Dutch Magicians who swept over Europe in the late 50s into the 80s. Fred Kaps, Harry Thiery, Peter Pit, Richard Ross, Ger Copper and Tommy Wonder dominated the general and stage manipulation wins to earn a string of Grand Prix victories at FISM. I never met Thiery and Fred only a few times, but the others were my good friends, in fact Peter was a mentor of mine. Ger is the last of that wonderful group of performers who inspired most of this magazines older readers and the world of magic in general. Tall and Slender, he looked like a magician. His smile was huge and infectious, his fingers seemed long or is just looked that way because of his ability to twirl things at their tips. He was a magical juggler as well as superb manipulator. His skill was such that he never seemed overwhelmed by what he was doing in his act which was very manip heavy, and really difficult stuff.

He had great charm on stage with that smile and it brought an embarrassing moment for me. During my bad boy days, I had traveled to New York to present a lecture and show on Houdini that Patrick Culliton and written. I stayed with John Barrymore III (Drew's brother) in his tiny New York apartment. Ger was opening for Richiardi Jr. at the Village Gate. I ran into Ger accidentally outside the theater while buying a ticket. He told me to save me my money and comped me (I never ask to be comped). During the show I saw this gorgeous girl who was assisting Aldo. Rena as always was his number one, this girl did the job of bringing props on and off stage. She was just sexy standing there. After the show I was to meet Ger at his apartment. He asked about the show and when I brought up the girl he started to ask me specifics, guy talk. I was as polite as you get in this kind of conversation but still.... um.... i was enthusiastic in my praise. The bathroom door opened and out she walked. Did I go Bright Red, you bet and I wanted to punch Ger for the deception (not telling me he was living with her) but we were all laughing too hard and I did get a kiss on the cheek for my praise when I expected a slap in the Face.

I lost track of Ger several years ago but met up with him in Italy with West. I am glad she got to meet him. I have always had an affection for the Dutch as my mother's Grandparents were born in Holland. From the Bamberg's to Hans Klok and Sabine Van Diemen, For such a relatively small country they have given the world many of it's Greatest Magicians including my friend Ger.... Aloha Ger Copper

Return to “Buzz”