Chris Hannibal

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Chris Randal2
Favorite Magician: Vito Lupo, Lance Burton, and Double Vision

Chris Hannibal

Postby Chris Randal2 » June 26th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Ok during lock down I watch a lot of magic videos and I have become a big fan of Mr Hannibal. If your looking for some great magic to watch in lock down I would suggest Chris Hannibal it’s quite good and he has a lot of material to watch. Great Cups and Balls and Cards across. All of it is good those are my person favorites.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Chris Hannibal

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 27th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Hannibal is great!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 27th, 2020, 3:44 pm

I'm fairly certain he prefers to be known by one name. I remember reading that he doesn't like being called Christopher at all.

I was lucky to spend some time with him in Orlando last October.

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » June 30th, 2020, 12:29 am

My apologies didn’t know.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 30th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Facebook makes him use his full name. If it weren't for that, I don't even think we would know what his first name is!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 30th, 2020, 12:40 pm

I used to see him at the Winter Carnival of Magic in Gatlinburg, about 20 years ago. While I think he performed as "Hannibal", it wasn't a secret that his name was Chris. And I think he has a trick in one of Steam Beam's "Semi-Automatic" books as "Chris Hannibal". Even the feature article about him in the June 2016 issue of Genii refers to him as "Christopher Hannibal" at one point.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 30th, 2020, 7:41 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Even the feature article about him in the June 2016 issue of Genii refers to him as "Christopher Hannibal" at one point.

Five times to be exact; right up to the point that he makes it clear he prefers Hannibal.

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » June 30th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Well I will say it is odd that his Ted talk uses his first name and pretty much every YouTube video uses his first name. So my mistake for using the name that is most used on the Internet for him. Didn’t mean to offend the artist formally known as Chris Hannibal. Honestly that wasn’t the point of my post even though some created their own narrative for this post. The point was if your in lock down and looking for great videos to watch I was fully entertained by his magic and style of performing.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 30th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Let's sidestep the whole "calling someone out of their name thing" and go with courtesy.
http://themagicartist.com/about/
If talking to the person, ask how they would like to be addressed.
When someone has a brand or online name and talking of their work - not a bad choice to go with that and let them invite you to refer to them otherwise. :)

Jon (The Inappropriate) :)

Chris Randal2

Postby Chris Randal2 » June 30th, 2020, 11:14 pm

Speaking of people’s work Mr Townsend you are often credited with being the inspiration for 3 fly. I don’t own any of your work but was always interested in finding out more about you. Are there any books or notes I can pick up. I would love to learn more about you. Chris Kenner’s our of control remains one of my favorite books that I absorbed and your name appears in it and I would like to pick up your work as well.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 1st, 2020, 12:31 am

You'll fine a better example of what to do and how to present fine magic with Hannibal. :)
Chris Kenner and Homer Liwag did a great job making their TOOC book both instructive and a fun read. Harry Lorayne was so kind as to publish some of what I was working at back when he was writing Apocalypse Magazine and his Best of Friends Volume 2. Mind you that was before our generous host published CoinMagic and David Roth's Expert Coin Technique. Kainoa Harbottle's Coins On Edge includes the EG2EG sleight. Richard Kaufman published an article on the that coins across in the September 2006 issue of Genii Magazine. The issue includes a video of Neil Patrick Harris performing Palingenesia. You are welcome to laugh along with, or, at my stumbles and mistakes on this forum and on the cafe over the years.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 1st, 2020, 2:13 am

Dustin Stinett wrote:
Bill Mullins wrote:Even the feature article about him in the June 2016 issue of Genii refers to him as "Christopher Hannibal" at one point.

Five times to be exact; right up to the point that he makes it clear he prefers Hannibal.

Which I'd be happy call him, should we ever run meet again.
(I wasn't trying to suggest that he be referred to as anything other than "Hannibal", just reacting to the idea that we wouldn't know his first name except for FB)

Jonathan Townsend wrote:You'll fine a better example of what to do and how to present fine magic with Hannibal. :)

What a gracious thing to say.

Return to “Buzz”