Two great performances on "Fool Us"

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Two great performances on "Fool Us"

Postby erdnasephile » August 29th, 2019, 7:33 pm

These last two episodes have been my favorite of the season because they included my two favorite performances of the season (Duh!)

1. Last week, Tom Stone performed "Quantum Logic" Great premise, exceedingly well played and so much fun to watch! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uCT_RRHiRY

2. This week, Wolfgang Moser's teapot beat me real bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4spJU8haBoo

Well done, gentlemen! Well done!

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Re: Two great performances on "Fool Us"

Postby PressureFan » August 29th, 2019, 7:53 pm

I thought Tom was done performing in the U.S.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » August 29th, 2019, 9:17 pm

That's what he said on a couple of occasions.

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » August 30th, 2019, 1:22 am

For those of you who are able to read German, here‘s an interview with Wolfgang Moser on his experience with „Penn & Teller: Fool Us“:

https://zzzauber.wordpress.com/2019/08/ ... ang-moser/
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » August 30th, 2019, 1:50 am

Use Chrome to visit the site, and it can translate from German to English. The article is surprisingly readable in translation.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 30th, 2019, 10:07 am

Zig Zagger: thank you for the link!

Also, if you don't use Chrome, the Google translation site and the Bing/Microsoft translation site can also translate the entire webpage if you cut and paste the URL into the apps on those sites.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » August 31st, 2019, 10:18 am

Wolfgang did a terrific job and was a delight to work with. He and I had a lot of back-and-forth on this routine, mainly because he had to tighten it up considerably for television (in particular, the time constraints FU imposes). When he performs this on cruise ships and other venues, he brings up twenty people and the routine is lengthy. It was no small task for him to reconfigure it.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » August 31st, 2019, 9:06 pm

Also, since he was mentioned at the top of this thread, I should add that Tom Stone was great to work with. I saw him do the Quantum Logic routine at a convention in Lund, Sweden, in the fall last year and I thought it was great. It took a bit of arm twisting to get him to agree to do the show. I'm so glad he did. I had high hopes he would fool P&T with this. But, regardless, it was a great spot. Bravo, Tom and Wolfgang.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » September 1st, 2019, 9:45 am

Michael, did P&T give a more extended explanation to Tom that was cut out? It felt a bit unsatisfying for me as an audience member to feel that Tom didn't really have an opportunity to hear what P&T gave as an explanation.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 1st, 2019, 12:59 pm

I think he did fool Teller.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » September 2nd, 2019, 3:06 pm

Jack Shalom: During the live performance, Alyson's interview with the performers runs to five minutes (sometimes longer, depending on how much has to be discussed). For television, this is edited down to about a minute.f This is also true for Penn's conversation with the performer; it often goes on for a while and is edited for time.

Richard Kaufman: Tom didn't fool Teller. I remember this because I was there.

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » September 2nd, 2019, 4:13 pm

When you follow the information on automatic translation kindly supplied above by Jeff Haas and erdnasephile, you can now read my interview with Pit Hartling:

https://zzzauber.wordpress.com/2019/09/ ... -hartling/

Pit was on Fool Us last year, and although the interview is more about the 25th anniversary of The Flicking Fingers, his other team projects and his card magic, his final answers deal in detail with his all-around positive experience at Penn & Teller's show.
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » September 2nd, 2019, 5:12 pm

I don't think Tom fooled Teller if Teller had read the routine in Genii. "Quantum Logic" May 2014.

Otherwise, i think he fooled the boys badly. The devil is in the details, and I don't think even Teller could have doped out the minute construction of the drawer boxes ( a new invention) or some of the other fine points discussed in the routine. We are all familiar with the basics of the routine (a combination of Voodoo and Pegasus Page), but, man, there was a LOT going on in this. Did anyone spot the Deland gimmick? I sure didn't.

Give Tom the prize!

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » September 2nd, 2019, 7:47 pm

Steve Bryant wrote:I don't think Tom fooled Teller if Teller had read the routine in Genii. "Quantum Logic" May 2014.

Otherwise, i think he fooled the boys badly.

Teller had not read the piece. And no, I didn't 'get' them. On the very first sneaky thing in the routine, there's a tiny window where you get a change blindness effect that works on everyone, even magicians, if you hit it right.
I didn't hit it right. :-)

Return to “Buzz”