Lance Burton - TeePee No More

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Lance Burton - TeePee No More

Postby CraigMitchell » August 11th, 2019, 8:59 pm

"Regarding the “Tee Pee” Illusion

I do not want to bury the lead. So let me say right here up front to those people who have expressed concern and were offended by my Native American number, I hear you. I am retiring the “Tee Pee” illusion and it will no longer be part of the show.

I am sincerely sorry. I apologize for causing anyone pain. I hope you will forgive me.

I never set out to create controversy. My intentions were to entertain the audience and let people know about magicians from other cultures and other traditions. Over my life I have met magicians from Japan, China, Russia, Mexico, many others lands, and of course magicians who are Native American. I am interested in all types of magic and all different approaches and traditions in magic. I just wanted to share that diversity with the public.

I first performed the “Tee Pee” Illusion over 20 years ago. We performed it in the live show as well as TV specials and talk shows. It was a very successful number and it gave me a chance to talk about some of my ancestors who were Cherokee (according to family tradition.)

When I was made aware of the controversy, yesterday, I was traveling back to Las Vegas on the tour bus. I immediately contacted my friend who is a respected leader in the Native American community and an elected official. I really needed advice from someone who knows what they are talking about.

My friend was very patient and tactful, but honest with me. This is what I learned. Yes, this issue of cultural appropriation is a real concern. From mascots, movies, logos, to popular entertainment and even traditions at summer camps, things that may seem innocent are sometimes hurtful.

“While the intentions at these camps are typically good, unfortunately they can actually be very hurtful to Native peoples and perpetuate a lot of myths and stereotypes that can be very harmful to Native peoples today.”

Ok. Fair enough. I get it now. My friend advised me to remove the illusion from the show until I can figure out a brand new presentation that does not include any Native American imagery or themes. That is exactly what I am doing.

This has all happened very fast. I know 24 hours is a long time on social media, but I wanted to make sure I addressed this in a thoughtful manner.

Again I apologize for any hurt feelings. It was never my intention.

Lance Burton"

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Re: Lance Burton - TeePee No More

Postby Joe Mckay » August 11th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 11th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Joe, I think it's safe to say that you are not "woke" yet.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » August 12th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Class response from Mr Burton.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 13th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Servais leRoy, Aglaia, Euphrosyne, and Thalia might be wondering if it's okay to do the routine their way.

Respecting cultures is a good idea in general. One guy recently dropped the "Nantucket sleighride" line from his song after finding out some about that term.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 14th, 2019, 12:05 am

CraigMitchell wrote:it gave me a chance to talk about some of my ancestors who were Cherokee (according to family tradition.)

Hereafter known as the "Warren Caveat".

Jon Pendragon
Favorite Magician: Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jon Pendragon » August 21st, 2019, 9:35 pm

Lance, you working again? JP

Return to “Buzz”