Curtis Kam LIVE ACT - One Day Left for Discount!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Curtis Kam LIVE ACT - One Day Left for Discount!

Postby erdnasephile » June 1st, 2019, 8:50 am

Curtis Kam LIVE ACT: Sunday June 2nd at 7:00 p.m. EST

One day (and change) left to order this on-line lecture for $10 off.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11993

It's gonna' be great! (The "Drip" is killer, plus Curtis tips his Okito Box routine and a whole lot more!)

Curtis Kam

Re: Curtis Kam LIVE ACT - One Day Left for Discount!

Postby Curtis Kam » June 1st, 2019, 5:36 pm

Thank you for the reminder! Yes, this is the most exciting magic news since Penguin released my first Live lecture.

Speaking personally, of course, YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 29th, 2019, 4:53 pm

I just had a chance to watch this. What a terrific, fun lecture! Curtis beat me multiple times, and it was such a great example of personal expression without pretentiousness. (As an Asian dude, I could relate to a lot of the humor, and I think the performance answered Mr. Maven's three questions continuously). I also very much liked the "perverse magic" aspects of the performance and the overall theme. Plus, the Shin Lim line cracked me up. Really enjoyable to watch.

A couple of things for prospective purchasers:

1. Curtis' routines fit him like a glove. For example, it's hard to imagine anyone credibly performing his stage paddle routine in sutu, as in the wrong hands, it could easily come off as cultural appropriation. However, many of these routines can be adapted (particularly his shufflebored variation and his work with the cigarette paper tear) with just a bit of work. A wise performer will know which is which, but I would not regard most of this lecture as a "cut and paste" into your own act tomorrow deal (which is a good thing in my book!).

2. You better have chops (or be willing to develop them) if you want to do some of this work. The opening coin routine and the Okito box routines in particular deserve to performed with precision that only time, intentional rehearsal, and flight time can give you.

3. The clear highlight for me was his Okito box routine. Yowza! Not only is this a "Okitostry" tour de force, but it really fools and is entertaining throughout, despite it's length. Pay careful attention to how Curtis raises this from the typical trivial "adventures of the props" presentation so common with these types of routines. He manages to make a prop no one has seen meaningful without resorting to simply renaming the prop. In addition, his intelligent use of flourishes to establish a certain style that makes seemingly "unnatural" actions natural is something I think I've intuitively understood, but his elucidation of this idea was new to me. This is one of the routines I would likely never do personally in it's entirety, and my way of handling props differs from his, but there are absolutely pieces that are going into my developing routine. (That spin penetration is a beast, even in slo mo!) Even better, Curtis, gives the learner many sources in print if you are interested in researching more about the box and finding your own gems to polish. (Oh, and thanks, Curtis, for answering a question I posed here on GF forum about why you might not want to stand with routines like this)

4. The first routine requires a couple of special props you are either going to have to make or buy from Craig. You also need an Okito box that holds 5 coins for the full Okito routine. If you want to do the paddle routine, you'll have to make it, but it looks pretty easy.

5. Curtis is a fine teacher, with a good sense of humor. He isn't as verbose as some others, and there were some occasions where I could have used a bit more detail where the camera angles did not show the action clearly, but those were few. I'm selfish, but I would really like to see some of the more complex routines hit print one day, as I think text plus this video would make learning the routines even easier. Curtis is also very well read and does a fine job of crediting.

I've said it before, but I really like the LIVE ACT format and being able to see how a pro structures things puts it so far and away above the old "dealer show" method of lecturing. I also like how we've had several lectures this year that are completely different in point of view, yet equally effective in performance. From Henderson to now Kam, Penguin is on a roll!

This is another easy buy recommendation for those who appreciate fine sleight of hand, woven together with thoughtful presentations, and who want to be inspired by great examples of making magic your own. That goes double if you have any interest in Okito box magic!

Disclaimer: I've got no financial interest in this project and I spent my own money on it. I don't get free stuff. I'm just a serious amateur who loves to perform for real people.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » July 1st, 2019, 9:32 am

Reviews like that make the whole effort worthwhile. Thanks enormously for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Buzz”