Tony Spina

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Herb

Tony Spina

Postby Herb » May 27th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Hello -

I have heard from a couple different sources that Tony Spina, the former owner of Tannen's, passed away. According to the link below his funeral was May 23. I hope that I'm not mistaken in this, but the reports do seem credible. I'm a little surprised there hasn't been too much comment on this.

I didn't really know Tony Spina, but I do remember that when I was a wide-eyed teenager visiting New York, Tannen's (1540 Broadway location) was one of my first stops, and Tony paid attention to me, gave me a tour of the back room etc. He was the first person I ever saw perform a coin matrix and it was impressive.

I'm sure others will have more in-depth reminiscences than me, but I thought it was worthwhile posting this here.

https://colonialramsaysfuneralhome.com/ ... bute-start

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Re: Tony Spina

Postby MaxNY » May 30th, 2019, 8:42 pm

You are cool...but you will never be: introducing the World to one of last Centuries top ten technologies....cool. Here is Bob Dorian, Tony Spina, Jennifer Spina, and Terri Cook, introducing the World to the Sony Walkman 10....My career in videotape has let me restore video and film from fashion designers, to rock stars. This footage was pinched from a project that came through from Sony. I gave Tony a copy when it came out. I have questions about the project to Bob Dorian, and Terri Cook, but neither have responded back to me. I am thinking Tony was the Producer of this project. Sorry this is a week late, as I was hoping for more information from those who took part. RIP Tony. You were always so kind to this wide-eyed teenager who broke driving laws just to attend your conventions in the Catskills. You always let me buy a daily pass, and for that I will always be indebted.....Such a soft spoken, kind man. You were a Magic King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEQXi4wCUA8

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 30th, 2019, 10:28 pm

I believe Terry has had a death in her family recently.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 31st, 2019, 11:28 pm

Tony showed me the Elmsley Count. He demonstrated Glorpy, Copenetro, the Astro Sphere floating ball and also did Eddie Joseph's Shattering Coins routine which requires a steady hand as you secretly transfer ten coins from hand to hand. He was nice to me even when he had reason not to. Thank you, Tony.

Return to “Buzz”