Anthony Brahams R.I.P.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Anthony Brahams R.I.P.

Postby Q. Kumber » March 8th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Anthony Brahams MIMC, owner of the Cairn Press passed away on Thursday, 7th March aged 86.
His cremation will take place at Hoop Lane West, Golders Green, this Monday at 3pm.

He either, wrote, edited, collated, and published a number of books including
Karl Norman, 40 Years at the Forks
Ken Brooke's Magic Place anthology
A Last Look at Leach
Rara Avis
Fred Kaps Cups and Balls
Fred Kaps Currency
Close-up Elegance By Davide Costi

Tom Gilbert

Re: Anthony Brahams R.I.P.

Postby Tom Gilbert » March 8th, 2019, 9:49 pm

This is becoming alarming in just the first posts in this section there are 4 that have passed. RIP Anthony.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » March 9th, 2019, 3:21 am

Anthony was one of my oldest friends in magic. He was my host for my first visit to The Magic Circle, and I often saw him when he visited New York City.

He was an enthusiastic and generous lover of magic, and his Cairn Press published some wonderful books.

He will be missed.

Matt Field

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » March 9th, 2019, 7:22 am

Sad news.

I used to see Anthony at conventions back in the long ago. I don’t recall where we first met; possibly at one of the Jack Hughes Wizard Weekends in King’s Lynn, Norfolk in the late 70s. But I do clearly remember bumping into him at one of the Cambridge conventions in the early 1980s. I had a very pleasant surprise (and a bit of a shock) when he introduced me to his companion: Gerald Kosky. Over in the UK for a visit, Anthony was his Magic Tour Guide.

The last time I saw him was at one of the Peterborough Magic Days, relatively local to him at the time. He lived in Norwich or somewhere nearby. He had a stand and was selling some of the the titles listed by Quentin Reynolds. His Al Leech collection was the newest.

The last time we had any contact was via email, shortly after the death of our mutual pal, Brian Glover. He had plans to publish a book of Brian’s work, in association with (if memory serves) Martin Allcock. As far as I know it didn’t materialise.

As others have noted, a very knowledgeable, very easy-going chap. RIP.

Shazzbatt

Postby Shazzbatt » March 9th, 2019, 8:18 am

Sad news indeed. My thoughts are with his family.

Leo, you are correct. Anthony and I discussed doing a book of Brian’s magic. Anthony suffered a stroke shortly after our initial conversations and he gladly passed the baton to me as he wasn’t in a position to do the work himself. Since then life got in the way somewhat and the project had to take a back seat. However, I am pleased to say that it is no longer on the back burner and is very much in the forefront of my thoughts. All the research has been done (as far as I can tell) and I have a complete file of all of his published works. I have started the process of editing and writing up the material with the aim of completing the first draft by the start of May (I’m using time off work to get it done). So all is not lost. Brian was a close friend of mine and I WILL see this project through. It has just taken far longer than I had wanted it to (a somewhat familiar story in book publications it seems).

Return to “Buzz”