Recommended Kindle Magic related book

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Recommended Kindle Magic related book

Postby erdnasephile » March 1st, 2019, 5:16 pm

All:

I just received an email from Amazon saying I have $5.00 free credit towards a Kindle ebook purchase. I'd like to get a magic book.

My question is this: in the past, buying Kindle books has been pretty dicey sometimes, especially in books with lots of graphics, as users have noted weird formatting issues, etc. This sometimes gets disclosed in the reviews for the ebooks, but some ebooks (especially magic books) have no reviews and/or the reviews relate to the other formats of the book.

My question for you is: do you have a particular Kindle magic book that you would recommend where the fomatting isn't all wonky? I'm currently looking at Sachs' Sleight of Hand or Bobo's, but I want to make sure they are readable in that format before spending my (not) hard earned. (I already have Erdnase and Royal Road in electronic format, otherwise they would have headed the list).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bill Mullins

Re: Recommended Kindle Magic related book

Postby Bill Mullins » March 1st, 2019, 6:15 pm

Are you okay with reading PDF books on Kindle? Sachs is available that way, for free.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 1st, 2019, 7:25 pm

Thanks for the tip, Bill--pdf is cool and I'll hunt it down.

That would allow me to spend that credit on another book. Bobo?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 1st, 2019, 9:17 pm

Archive.org has Sachs in PDF and other formats, as does Project Gutenberg.

Both claim to offer .mobi formats for Kindle, but the Archive.org version wouldn't download for me.

Bobo exists in two editions. For the first one (Modern Coin Magic, 1952), someone (Jay Marshall?) forgot to renew the copyright, and it is public domain. The second version (New Modern Coin Magic, 1966) has 4 chapters of additional material which were copyrighted when published, and that version is still in copyright. You should be able to find a freely downloadable version of the first edition.

But if you get both of these for free, you've still got the fiver burning a hole in your pocket. If it were me, rather than get a magic trick book, I might buy something related, like one of Jim Swain's or Clayton Rawson's novels.

Return to “Buzz”