John Oliver on Psychics

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Peter Ross
Favorite Magician: Doug Henning

John Oliver on Psychics

Postby Peter Ross » February 25th, 2019, 9:28 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... p-psychics

With regards to the magic community, I believe there is an equivalent of, "actively enabling this ghoulishness." We've been down this well-worn road before, but I believe it's worth mentioning again; It is unhealthy and sad that some in the magic community welcome and even celebrate the accomplishments of psychics like the ones Oliver mentions. It is apparent from his story that this sick industry is still alive and well, and that its scale and reach is larger and further than some might have thought. Here come the groans, but it still pains me that Mr. Uri Geller is showered with praise and treated like royalty from some of the most respected people in the magic community. This, in light of all his past shenanigans, but especially the relatively recent Malaysian plane episode, a despicable act which in my opinion should have been the final straw for any of his magician admirers.

Sorry to dredge up this old topic, but Oliver brought it into the light again. However, those of you who remember past discussions on this forum about this can take solace - I don't plan on engaging nearly as much :) Enjoy the Oliver TV segment if you can find/watch it.

Return to “Buzz”