Vanish Magazine / The Goat Award

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Vanish Magazine / The Goat Award

Postby CraigMitchell » February 23rd, 2019, 7:45 am

Really Vanish Magazine ?

You called your award the Goat Award ?

"Greatest of all Time Award" ... out of all the imaginary awards you can conjure up - that was the best title you could think of ? Unless of course this is just a big inside joke at Vanish?

( on a side note - i have heard good things about the new show but haven't yet seen )

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuOTDpTlZSk ... hare_sheet

"crissangel
Last night... WOW! The Highest Honor-Ever-Awarded In The Magical Arts ! #CrissAngel & #MINDFREAK @phvegas Undisputedly Named “The Greatest Magician/Magic Show Of All Time!” #GOAT -Vanish Magazine (the largest magic publication worldwide). I will never forget tonight! Thank you all who were there from the start & throughout my career. My family, designers, executive team, crew, cast, #loyals & all who believed in me & all who didn’t! YOU inspired me to work harder & be the best! I love you all"

AJM

Re: Vanish Magazine / The Goat Award

Postby AJM » February 23rd, 2019, 8:58 am

I think you’ll find GOAT to be a fairly popular acronym which signifies sporting greatness however agree perhaps not a term which was envisioned to apply to magicians, irrespective of their ‘greatness’.

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/search/goat

Andrew

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » February 23rd, 2019, 9:05 am

Thanks Andrew ... I've NEVER heard of the expression before. Seems to be most popular in the US ...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 23rd, 2019, 11:18 am

Perhaps the GONAD award would have been more appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » February 23rd, 2019, 12:00 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Perhaps the GONAD* award would have been more appropriate.

That's *Greatest Of North American Deceptionists.

I understand that there has been some jockeying as well for the Best All-around Legend of Legerdemain and Sorcery award.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » February 23rd, 2019, 1:12 pm

I downloaded a copy of Vanish a while back and didn't get very far reading it.

The writing was flat-out terrible and not worth the time to read. It was clearly just an excuse to distribute advertising.

This sort of dumbass "award" just puts Vanish even more clearly in the same bin as Tony Hassini.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 23rd, 2019, 2:21 pm

“Don’t be discouraged, Charlie Brown. You have nothing to lose. You’ll either be the hero, or a goat.“
Linus Van Pelt, A Boy Named Charlie Brown (1969)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » February 23rd, 2019, 9:31 pm

It appears that the Merlin award holds more merit than this GOAT award....

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 24th, 2019, 12:30 am

Gee, I don't know, Tom.
According to Criss it's "The Highest Honor-Ever-Awarded In The Magical Arts!" ;)

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » February 24th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Ted M wrote:I downloaded a copy of Vanish a while back and didn't get very far reading it.

The writing was flat-out terrible and not worth the time to read. It was clearly just an excuse to distribute advertising.

Agreed, Vanish "magazine" is flat out egregious.

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » February 24th, 2019, 2:14 pm

April Fool's Day came early this year... Or was it intended to coincide with the Golden Raspberry Awards?

On an unrelated note: Germany once had a "GröFaZ", and the most devastating thing was that he himself believed it.

At least, Toni Merlini and his HASSIN Awards (or whatever they are called) are facing tough competition now. Each Award is to magic what the OSCAR is to Sesame Street... Trashing magic, the Deans of Dumpsters.

Both sad and hilarious.
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

MagicalEducator
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby MagicalEducator » February 25th, 2019, 9:10 pm

I'm a bit disappointed to read the comments shared in this forum and feel inclined to respond. If one doesn't agree with the award then I'm totally fine with that. The value of "magic awards" is usually problematic and in the real world they don't often mean much. Still, hard to argue with Criss Angel's success in terms of world wide recognition as well as his TV and Las Vegas shows. I'm not really a fan but I'm not in his target demographic. I give Paul Romhany credit for trying to recognize the work of Criss Angel and his magic.

As for the quality of writing in Vanish Magazine...I encourage those who find fault to submit their own work for consideration. Not always an easy process. I write a monthly column called Magic is Education and do my best to share something of value. I've heard from people from all around the world that they've found it useful and so I will continue to share my own journey for whatever its worth.

Finally, ads pay for magazines and Vanish Magazine is a free resource to the magic community. Most magicians like to see what's out there in terms of products and so for many that's really a good thing. If Vanish Magazine isn't for you then of course you don't have to subscribe but of course we'd love to have you join the community.

Jeff Christensen

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » February 26th, 2019, 9:03 pm

I can certainly see how they might have convinced Criss easily enough that GOAT really does mean "Greatest Of All Time."

Maybe next year they'll present him with the "American Sophisticated Sorcerer" award. Or the "Definitive Original Unsurpassed Conjuring Hotshot Entertainer" award. Or both.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » February 26th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Point to Brian.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » February 27th, 2019, 8:10 am

MagicalEducator wrote:Finally, ads pay for magazines and Vanish Magazine is a free resource to the magic community. Most magicians like to see what's out there in terms of products and so for many that's really a good thing. If Vanish Magazine isn't for you then of course you don't have to subscribe but of course we'd love to have you join the community.

Genii is a real magazine with a highly skilled, highly dedicated, full-time editor, and has built and supported the magical community in a meaningful way for eight decades.

Notably, Genii is a magazine supported by advertising -- not the other way around.

I find Genii worth supporting.

Return to “Buzz”