The March Issue of Genii is All About Guy Hollingworth

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

The March Issue of Genii is All About Guy Hollingworth

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 20th, 2019, 10:49 am

Join us at http://www.geniimagazine.com

I remember meeting Guy Hollingworth many decades ago and thinking, “Yikes, he’s really good.” Now I would say he is one of the best cardmen in the world. And if you were to take a measure of the classiest magician in the world, he would probably top the list. He performs pretty much only his own material, which is a great accomplishment. Even more so when one contemplates the difficultly level of the tricks. He seems to have done, and be able to do, virtually everything better than almost everyone else. I spent a few days in London last year interviewing Guy, and Dustin Stinett has turned it all into a wonderful article in our March issue.

We have an outstanding array of columnists this month, each bringing you their very best. Let me start with Al Schneider’s routine “4fx,” which uses four paper balls, in his column “Broadcast from Nowhere.” Do not make the mistake of passing this by. I strongly urge you to watch the video in our digital edition before reading the secret. * We have another new routine from Harry Lorayne, the second we’ve run in as many months. Card magic at its best, and exclusively in Genii. * Andi Gladwin gives you lots of good reasons not to quit your day job in “Going Pro.” * If you like to call the poker hands dealt from a shuffled deck, then you’ll like John Bannon’s installment of “Dealing with It” this month. * Hannibal gives the word “peril” new meaning in “Happiness is the Road.” * In “Classic Correspondence” Mike Caveney shares another letter this time from Gustave Fasola to Howard Thurston. * We run the final installment of Bob Read’s wonderful “Hidden Treasures” this month. Bob died over a decade ago, but his personality and love for the obscure and a good pun has lived on in his Genii column. It has been my pleasure to run them. * Jonathan Friedman turns in his second “Magicana” and by Jove there are more great tricks! * Slant by Mr. Racherbaumer and reviews of books, tricks, and videos by Francis Menotti, Danny Orleans, and Nathan Coe Marsh round out the issue.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Peter Ross
Favorite Magician: Doug Henning

Re: The March Issue of Genii is All About Guy Hollingworth

Postby Peter Ross » February 20th, 2019, 11:38 am

Again with the "cardmen."

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 20th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Looks great! Mr. Hollingworth is one of my heroes!

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » February 20th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Mr. Hollingworth did an absolutely superb Sunday workshop at Magi-Fest last month. His attention to detail and deep, comprehensive thinking really came through. When you add his poise, sophistication, approachability and genuineness as the epitome of a modern English gentleman, the entire workshop was ... well ... magical. Incredibly glad I was there.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » February 20th, 2019, 5:08 pm

He never ages! That is his best trick right there.

Wait a minute. No - The Reformation is his best trick.

Still not a bad second best trick to have in your act!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 20th, 2019, 5:11 pm

I am quite saddened to read that Joe Pecore has passed. I met him and spent some time with him at the first Genii convention, and corresponded occasionally since then. You mention his labors on Magicpedia, but you don't say just how much of him is in it -- hundreds of articles and thousands of edits. It's a pretty good legacy. Plus, and I didn't realize this, Joe was the same age as I am. So taken all together -- shared interests, nerdy white guy, interested in magic history, same age -- this hits pretty close to home. My condolences to his family.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 20th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Peter Ross wrote:Again with the "cardmen."

You must read the article then, so you can learn about the billiard balls and bunny rabbits.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 20th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:
Peter Ross wrote:Again with the "cardmen."

You must read the article then, so you can learn about the billiard balls and bunny rabbits.

Can you just do a search and replace -- take out "cardmen" and put in "persons of the pasteboard persuasion."

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » February 21st, 2019, 9:10 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:I am quite saddened to read that Joe Pecore has passed. I met him and spent some time with him at the first Genii convention, and corresponded occasionally since then. You mention his labors on Magicpedia, but you don't say just how much of him is in it -- hundreds of articles and thousands of edits. It's a pretty good legacy. Plus, and I didn't realize this, Joe was the same age as I am. So taken all together -- shared interests, nerdy white guy, interested in magic history, same age -- this hits pretty close to home. My condolences to his family.

I'm also saddened by Joe's passing. I enjoyed reading his informative posts on the Forum and rely on Magicpedia for quick references. For that I owe him a debt of gratitude. May he rest in peace.

And may Hollingworth remain with us of many years to come.

Return to “Buzz”