Sub Rosa: New book by Ariel Frailich

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Ariel Frailich

Postby Ariel Frailich » January 30th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Dear Genii readers:

I’m pleased to announce that I just released the ebook version of Sub Rosa, my new book about a dellightfully simple, easy and versatile utility move, its myriad applications, and over 60 effects of all kinds. (Hardcover edition will be out in a few weeks.)

The Sub Rosa technique can be done surrounded, close-up, and on stage, for magic as well as for mentalism. With it you can do T/R effects, divinations, predictions, transformations, transpositions, colour separations, and much more.

Some of the effects described include: coincidence effects, card matching, a date divination and a date revelation, a headline prediction, key bending, a Seven Keys/Key-R-Rect routine, spirit writing and spirit photography, and much, much more.

And many effects come with presentation ideas or full scripts. Some of the themes used include: an experiment in an ESP lab; dead celebrities and a dead, mindreading clown; a murderer and a Murder Mystery; a student of divination arts; tattoos; voodoo; and many more.

What readers are saying: "... will fool even the most eagle-eyed spectator." "The presentations... can be used exactly as written. Bravo!" "... truly professional magic. Well done."

Instant download. US$ 25 / C$ 35 / £20 / €25

https://isawthat.com/shop/sub-rosa-ebook/
I Saw That! Exclusive Magic - http://isawthat.com
Publisher of Reading Writing, Card Stories, and other fine magic books

Q. Kumber

Re: Sub Rosa: New book by Ariel Frailich

Postby Q. Kumber » February 12th, 2019, 3:31 pm

SUB ROSA by Ariel Frailich

If you are familiar with any Ariel Frailich’s published work you will know that his main focus is on presentation. His book Card Stories being a perfect example.

He sees beyond moves and sleights as he explores the possibilities of the routines that can bring those hidden techniques to life and engage an audience.

Although his sleight-of-hand skills are considerable, here in Sub Rosa, he takes a simple technique known by most magicians - even though no one seems to know what it is called and hardly anyone does it - explores it in detail before teaching how it can be used in many different performing situations.

He calls it Sub Rosa: “The rose as a symbol of secrecy dates back to at least ancient Greece. In Medieval Europe, a rose suspended from the ceiling of council chambers, or sometimes carved into the ceiling, pledged all present to secrecy, thus sub rosa, ‘beneath the rose’, came to symbolize secrecy.”

The technique is simple to grasp and understand. With a few minutes practice, it’s not just undetectable, but there is not the slightest suspicion anything has taken place. It is one of the most natural moves ever developed and it won’t surprise you to know it’s often used by swindlers and con men.

Once you’ve got the basic handling, you will learn the many ways it can be used in both close-up and stage performing environments. 

You’ll then explore the sixty different presentations for tricks and routines, where the technique will improve the handling.

There’s sections on both magic and mentalism, along with exploring added secret devices that can be used alongside the technique.

When Ariel asked me to look over this (at the moment an ePub ebook) manuscript, I expected something about thirty pages. In fact there are 180 pages, very well written with ample photos where needed. Ariel is a very good teacher and in this exhaustive treatise you will find - at the very least - one routine you will use. But of even greater value it will get you thinking about using this technique in effects you already perform and that is something we all need more of.

Sub Rosa by Ariel Frailich 180 pages, properly typeset, well laid out, most definitely recommended. £20 sterling, $25 U.S. from www.IsawThat.com

Ariel Frailich

Postby Ariel Frailich » February 12th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Quentin! :)

Ariel Frailich

Postby Ariel Frailich » February 14th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Dear Genii readers:

The hardcover edition of Sub Rosa is now available.

https://isawthat.com/shop/sub-rosa-hardcover/

Daniel Z

Postby Daniel Z » February 14th, 2019, 9:28 pm

I have been remiss in not posting something about Ariel’s latest publication. I was shamed into action by Quentin's thoughtful and thorough review. My excuse for not posting earlier isn't I believe not unreasonable however — I haven’t read it. Three years ago though he gave me a version of the Sub Rosa ms. I don’t know how much Ariel has changed since that earlier version. As it stood I was very taken with the clear explanations, and well thought out gambits not to mention the detailed development of his ideas. However, not having seen the published version I am unable to speak to of any details. I can say though that the early ms was already full of good well thought out ideas and routines.

Ariel Frailich

Postby Ariel Frailich » March 25th, 2019, 2:10 pm

The versatility of Sub Rosa never ceases to amaze me. Months after I finished writing, editing and publishing the book, I'm still getting ideas for new applications regularly—without even trying. Here's one I had last week.

Wild Coins

You bring out a small cloth bag and dump out its contents: a few silver coins. These can be passed around. You collect them and put them back in the bag; you give it to a spectator to hold. (You can optionally leave one coin on the table, to be used in a moment.)

Now you show a small lump of gold, or perhaps a small, unusual looking pebble. If you left a silver coin on the table, you pick it up, tap the lump/pebble against it, and it changes to gold. You can pass it around as well.

Next, you drop the lump into the bag that the spectator is still holding. The spectator shakes the bag and dumps out the coins. They're all gold now.

That's it. Simple, direct, elegant, easy to do. If you omit the visible change, then there's no sleight-of-hand involved and you end clean (as is the case in virtually all effects in the book).

If you already have the book, you already know how to do this. If not, you can get it here:

Hardcover: https://isawthat.com/shop/sub-rosa-hardcover/
Ebook: https://isawthat.com/shop/sub-rosa-ebook/

Ariel Frailich

Postby Ariel Frailich » May 2nd, 2019, 1:54 pm

Review of Sub Rosa

by Nick Lewin, Vanish, April 2019

MY THOUGHTS

I was performing the Sub Rosa switch back in the ‘60s after learning it from Ken Brooke, and magicians and con men were performing it a long time before that. Of course, it didn’t have a name back then, but it was the same undetectable to catch and easy to perform move that Ariel Frailich details in his book. When you write as good a book as this one is, it is only fair that you get to name the move and a rather cool name it is for an extremely useful tool! Although I have frequently utilized this subtlety, I did so with no real understanding of its true potential.

Frailich has detailed over 60 effects that employ this great utility switch, and most of them are fully fleshed out effects, some of the routines are fully scripted. The routines include applications for stage and close-up and include excellent excursions into mentalism, card, and coin magic. In fact, there is a veritable smorgasbord of ideas that are explored within the pages of Ariel’s nicely written book. An abundance of photographs helps turn the author's ideas into easy to perform performance pieces.

The added benefit to studying the Sub Rosa switch in the kind of detail contained on these pages is that any magician is almost bound to think of ways to improve his current repertoire or invent new effect utilizing this subtle and powerful tool. I strongly recommend this scholarly but imminently practical book to any magician, and I think it will help develop every magician into a more creative and capable performer. I give Sub Rosa a very enthusiastic five-star rating.

Return to “Buzz”