A New Webinar from Michael Close

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Michael Close

A New Webinar from Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » January 18th, 2019, 10:26 am

Lisa and I were so pleased with the feedback from our Fool Us webinar last November, that we're starting a series of them called Workers Webinars. Our brand new webinar, The Truth about Lying, is coming your way on Sunday, January 27. Magic depends on disseminating misinformation – in other words, lying. You'll learn how to use this important tool with rapier-like precision in this informative, interactive, and fun presentation. Read more and register here:

https://events.genndi.com/register/8181 ... 3b86c0b36c

Michael Close

Re: A New Webinar from Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » January 22nd, 2019, 12:20 pm

I just wanted to let you know that registrants for The Truth about Lying will have unlimited access to replays of this webinar, so even if you can’t watch it live, you should still sign up. We will not sell this as a downloadable video.

Also, no special software is required. You can watch (and participate) through your browser.

Thanks.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » January 29th, 2019, 10:49 am

Here are some of the responses from last Sunday’s webinar:

“I watched Michael Close’s webinar The Truth about Lying. I thought it was very, very good...it made me rethink some of my own work.” – Matt Disero

“The webinar was wonderful. I plan to watch it again because there were so many valuable points.” – Debbie Leifer

“The webinar was interesting and very informative! I look forward to future webinars by Mr. Close, and I highly recommend them to all my magic friends.” – Michael Tallon

“A huge shout out and congratulations to Michael Close for his webinar this afternoon. The theory as it applies to magic was profound; he was able to provide excellent examples with performance pieces to support the concepts...It was an afternoon well spent, and I look forward to future classes.” – Lupe Nielsen

“That was fantastic. I love doing deep dives and talking about the process. Well presented. Great webinar portal. Bonus PDFs and great attendees asking intelligent questions and great comments. Bravo! Can’t wait for the next one.” – Bruce Kalver

“A very, very fine seminar.” – Teller

We’ve heard from many people who missed registering in time, so we’re going to repeat the webinar on Thursday, January 31, at 9:00 p.m. EST. This is not a rebroadcast. This is another live presentation. You will be able to participate and ask questions. Go here to register:

https://events.genndi.com/register/8181 ... cd36dc7de9

Jaybo

Postby Jaybo » May 13th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Since Michael Close is presenting another webinar later this week, it might be helpful to mention how useful the two most recent ones have been for me.

He is, of course, well known as a superb teacher. Over the past few years, starting with the Faro Shuffle, I have found his multi-modality eBooks offer an excellent guide to studying and refining moves, learning clever routines, and re-thinking presentations to disarm System 2 Thinking (“Repose, Chaos, Action”). The webinars have reinforced the teaching from his publications, without simply repeating their content.

His session on Palming with Confidence provided both an overview of the move and a strategy to begin using it in a series of progressive steps. His approach reminded me of Ascanio’s recommendation to use “training tricks” in learning sleights.

In the next session, Demystifying the Memorized Deck, he discussed the selection and use of a memorized deck. Of special value was his demonstration (and extension) of the practice drills from Paradigm Shift that are designed to make the immediate recall of each card easy and accurate. While I thought I was maintaining the stack memorization well, with apps and sequencing reviews, I’ve been surprised how challenging his “spatial” exercise with a metronome is. I think these drills would be helpful for anyone who performs with a memdeck only occasionally.

The last of his currently scheduled sessions is set to be held on Sunday, May 19, when he will discuss constructing a three-trick set. You need to register before then, as registrations haven’t been available once the live presentation is finished. So far, I haven’t been able to watch in real time. But the on-line replay function works well; it allows a pause to make notes or practice an action, and it gives seamless access to the downloads he provides during the session.

Fortunately, the webinars have been priced so that cost hasn’t been a deterrent. I imagine many others would find them as useful as I have. I hope he keeps producing more of them.

Jay Burke

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » May 16th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Jay.

I'm pleased with the webinar format and gratified with the responses from those who have attended them. I enjoy the process of preparing the material them.

I wrote a short blog about the difference between the lecture circuit and the webinar approach. You can read it here:

https://www.michaelclose.com/blogs/news ... vs-webinar

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » May 22nd, 2019, 12:10 pm

On Sunday, May 29, at 10 a.m. (EDT), I will do another live presentation of the "Demystifying the Memorized Deck" webinar. We have chosen this time of day to be more convenient for those in the UK and western Europe. If you live in that part of the world and have friends who would like to get started with memdeck, please feel free to share this post. Here's the link:

https://www.michaelclose.com/products/d ... he-memdeck

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » May 23rd, 2019, 11:33 pm

I "attended" Mike's seminar on routining effects recently, and it was just great. Unlike traditional magic lectures, which attempt to appeal to a large audience and have "something of every one", these are more like the after-lecture seminars Eugene Burger and Martin Nash used to do. Focused on areas of study for more advanced students (or those who would like to become more advanced) with an interest in a specific topic.

Mike has long been associated with memdeck work, so the value of what he has to say is a given. But more to the point, the format he's chosen to use to present that information is kind of a game changer...

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » May 24th, 2019, 9:28 pm

It's too bad one cannot purchase these after the fact. I don't really understand why not as the positive reviews make me want to purchase a few of the ones I missed. Oh well, I guess it is both our loss.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » June 7th, 2019, 12:29 pm

For all of you memorized deck fans, we have scheduled a brand new memdeck webinar, "Memdeck - the Next Step," on June 23. For the convenience of our friends in the UK, Scandinavia, and Western Europe, we are presenting the webinar at two different times: 10 am (EDT) and 4 pm (EDT). You can register and find out more information at the link below. (You will pick the time you want after you complete payment.) Remember, if you register before the event begins, you will have unlimited access to replays. Please share this information with anyone who might be interested. Thanks. Here's the link:

https://www.michaelclose.com/products/m ... -next-step

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » July 10th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Lisa and I are gratified by the response we’ve received from our webinars; we appreciate those who have attended a live presentation and those who have spread the word about them.

We also understand that everyone has busy lives and might not be able to attend a live webinar. Because of limitations of our webinar software, we cannot sell registrations after the live webinar has aired. This has kept some from discovering the value of this format.

We feel the information offered is thorough, concise, and extremely useful, so we’d like to give those who haven’t attended one the opportunity to enjoy at least part of the webinar experience.

We are now offering a prerecorded version of “Demystifying the Memorized Deck.” It can be purchased and viewed at your leisure. The price is $15. You can purchase it here:

https://www.michaelclose.com/collection ... ed-webinar

Return to “Buzz”