The Masked Singer Magic connection

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

The Masked Singer Magic connection

Postby erdnasephile » January 6th, 2019, 4:20 pm

The very first singer ("The Peacock") on the premiere of the new show, "The Masked Singer" has a magic connection...

https://www.fox.com/watch/54074345bfce9 ... fb673a41a/

brianarudolph

Re: The Masked Singer Magic connection

Postby brianarudolph » January 27th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Not sure it's a magic connection as much as a Las Vegas connection as one of the judges notes.

Initially I thought the Peacock might be Tom Jones because of the deep voice. But after watching the Peacock's clues video and watching the Peacock's performance of Counting Stars, I (like many others) am pretty convinced that it's Donny Osmond.

The clues about the Peacock's performing life seem to match what little I know about Osmond's career. And in one scene on the clues video he's very briefly shown holding and petting a small plastic dog (with unseen dogs barking in the background) for no necessary reason; actual peacocks and dogs aren't normally thought of together. So I'm thinking that's most likely a reference to his song Puppy Love.

But what really convinced me that it is Osmond was the Counting Stars performance. I'm not sure Tom Jones could execute some of the moves and the cavorting around on the stage that the Peacock pulls off with relative ease. My final convincer was the voice. If you listen to the Counting Stars performance, Peacock starts in his signature deep, melodic voice. But as the performance amps up in its intensity, the deep voice gives way to a significantly higher one - that sounds very much like Osmond's authentic singing voice as I remember it. I bet Osmond is intentionally using the deeper voice as much as he can to throw the judges off.

AJM

Postby AJM » January 27th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Tom Jones is 78 - he’s had at least one hip replacement and walks with a cane.

Andrew

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » January 27th, 2019, 7:51 pm

AJM wrote:Tom Jones is 78 - he’s had at least one hip replacement and walks with a cane.

Andrew

Precisely what I was alluding to after I check up on him via google.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 28th, 2019, 12:55 pm

brianarudolph wrote:Not sure it's a magic connection as much as a Las Vegas connection as one of the judges notes.

Hi, Brian: I thought for sure the Peacock dude explicitly said in the first episode that he was in a magic act during the stage interview.

I agree though: Donny Osmond seems likely.

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » January 28th, 2019, 8:17 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Hi, Brian: I thought for sure the Peacock dude explicitly said in the first episode that he was in a magic act during the stage interview.

I agree though: Donny Osmond seems likely.

I bet you're right, erdnasephile - I've only been watching clips here and there ... haven't had time to watch entire shows yet. But a quick Google of "donny osmond magic" reveals that Marie and him have performed numerous magic effects and illusions in their shows.

The minute the peacock goes into his higher range on Counting Stars, I hear unmistakable Donny. And funny as this may sound, I'm starting to like the Peacock's version of the abridged song better than the original. I hope Donny (or whoever it is if I'm wrong) will record a complete version of the song and perhaps a few others he performs.

Return to “Buzz”